caught a bobbit worm, again

• SRC Member

my second encounter with bobbit worms.. this one is about 1 feet too..

caught from my frag tank.. lucky i cure all rocks in my display tank before scaping..

just for all to reference, to identify bobbit worms if u ever encounter this in your tank.. look at the distinct head, they're lightning fast, and the only way is to break open the LR to get it out.. :peace:

cheers!

vinc

post-9599-1255588153_thumb.jpg

post-9599-1255588168_thumb.jpg

my second encounter with bobbit worms.. this one is about 1 feet too..

caught from my frag tank.. lucky i cure all rocks in my display tank before scaping..

just for all to reference, to identify bobbit worms if u ever encounter this in your tank.. look at the distinct head, they're lightning fast, and the only way is to break open the LR to get it out.. :peace:

cheers!

vinc

Have absolutely no idea what it is capable of but looks like a centipede... found this from Wikipedia; "Armed with sharp teeth, it is known to attack with such speeds that its prey is sometimes sliced in half. Although the worm hunts for food, it is omnivorous."

Hope i dont find one when i set my tank up...

wat is their natural predator? think i seen it on my rocks before. but never go and hunt for it. tank too deep.....

anything we can do about it besides trying to physically remove it??

thnks.... :P:P:P

u can starve ur tank stocks n put a little prawn treat in a wire mesh... whole idea is to make the bobbit feel like its new home... thts if ur tank r mostly vegs like tangs..

• SRC Member
another way to identify is the 5mm+ coco worm shell shape but soft web type..

its like newspaper they wrap those fishing bait worms in,i tink the bobbits need a layer of something also for the hole it hang ard..

Hi guys....

After seeing the picture....

I think i have one in my LR.....

It don't really leave the cave.....

The most is just come out its head and then go back....

Is black color...and do you think it will come out if I dip inside tap water for 15minutes or more?

I'm currently having yuma, LPS, etc in my tank....

Suggestion are all welcome...

:thanks:

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

• SRC Member

hi, after reading this yesterday, i tried to look around my tank coz i saw some tunnels under the sand, and indeed i found a worm at the side, quite small about 1 inch, but looking at it closely, it sure looks very well like this bobbit worm :paiseh: ... so i have to remove it ? how's the best way to by the way. :thanks:

25 Gal Micro Ocean