My male seahorse has given birth!

Achilles Tang

My pregnant male seahorse just purchased on Friday from Sealife gave birth to little sea 'ponies' from yesterday till today.

I have taken some out to a seperate tank and left some in my 'sea horse psuedo-refugium tank'. Was worried that my razorfish would attach the baby seahorses but thankfully, they were more interested in BBS.

I commenced feeding the Sea Ponies with live rotifers and newly hatched BBS and it appears that they have begun to take an interest in them. They will finish living off their egg sacs and should begin full-fledged feeding by tomorrow or the day after latest.

After which the next few weeks will be critical in feeding them lots of rotifers and then BBS.

Wish me luck!

Here's the papa!

post-7-1041189644.jpg

• SRC Member
My pregnant male seahorse just purchased on Friday from Sealife gave birth to little sea 'ponies' from yesterday till today.

I have taken some out to a seperate tank and left some in my 'sea horse psuedo-refugium tank'. Was worried that my razorfish would attach the baby seahorses but thankfully, they were more interested in BBS.

I commenced feeding the Sea Ponies with live rotifers and newly hatched BBS and it appears that they have begun to take an interest in them. They will finish living off their egg sacs and should begin full-fledged feeding by tomorrow or the day after latest.

After which the next few weeks will be critical in feeding them lots of rotifers and then BBS.

Wish me luck!

Here's the papa!

I believe they can get choked if they swallow the eggshells so do be careful about that.

• SRC Member

Congratulations!

Let's see the babies!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

AT, from what i heard from the Tasmania seahorse world, they removed the fries from the tank or remove the parents so that they will not eat the little ponies... try if possible, to have a tank all by themselves, the ponies that is..

anyway, congratulations to be a pony daddy.. hehehe

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

Congrats AT....... :D:D

I'm always a sucker for Seahorses, and do intend to keep them in my sump/refugium too.

Kinda curious though if I'm not mistaken its the male who incubate them till birth.....its SQUIRT!!!....out of it pouch or something.....

Any pictures?

• SRC Member

any idea how many names AT would have to come out with?? and they all look the same...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

LOL!!!!!! That is so farnie!!!!

But sadly, the sea ponies left in the refugium are all MIA except one or two if I look closely.

Those that I took out and placed in a seperate tank look kinda listless... feeding with rotifers and bbs... keeping my fingers crossed.

• SRC Member
But sadly, the sea ponies left in the refugium are all MIA except one or two if I look closely.

Those that I took out and placed in a seperate tank look kinda listless... feeding with rotifers and bbs... keeping my fingers crossed.

dun think they are MIA.. i think they have been makan-ed... seahorses eat their frys..