strange disease

• SRC Member

hello

my sailfin and yellow tang have this strange disease (see attached). i'm sure its not white spots as the tank been in hypo for coming 10 weeks, this strange spots been around for almost 3 weeks.

the sainfin tang have "sand paper" like spots on the skin and the yellow tang have some brown spots and there is small little holes as well. rest of the fishes are fine.

all the fish are eating well. anyone know what disease this is?

post-11973-1256821908_thumb.jpg

post-11973-1256821916_thumb.jpg

post-11973-1256821932_thumb.jpg

post-11973-1256821941_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

the mass of white spots on the sailfin looks to me like velvet. how is this when ur fish survived for 3 weeks??

it looks alot like velvet....but ur fish wouldnt last 3 days yet alone 3 weeks...

as for the holes....im not sure. doesnt look like HLLE? very perculier. lemme check up and try to advice u. meanwhile maybe other bros here can assist

hello

my sailfin and yellow tang have this strange disease (see attached). i'm sure its not white spots as the tank been in hypo for coming 10 weeks, this strange spots been around for almost 3 weeks.

the sainfin tang have "sand paper" like spots on the skin and the yellow tang have some brown spots and there is small little holes as well. rest of the fishes are fine.

all the fish are eating well. anyone know what disease this is?

Check your pH and sulphur denitrator (if you are using one). My bluethroat triggers looked exactly like this when I had low pH issues due to hydrogen sulphide poisoning from the sulphur denitrator. If I'm not wrong the spots sway with the current?

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Check your pH and sulphur denitrator (if you are using one). My bluethroat triggers looked exactly like this when I had low pH issues due to hydrogen sulphide poisoning from the sulphur denitrator. If I'm not wrong the spots sway with the current?

yes bro fuel, i doing hypo now pH little low and running denitrator with denni balls and also slowly rising the salt level now. your blue throat recover?

bro lemon, at first i tot was velvet but no new fish was added and it been 3 weeks.

what should i do next?

• SRC Member
it looked liek velvet when i first saw the foto. but then couldnt be since u said its been 3 weeks. i have no idea really... think what fuel said could be true.

ya true tot look like velvet but read velvet will wipe out all live stock within 8 days... hope more bros will chip in see what need to be done...

yes bro fuel, i doing hypo now pH little low and running denitrator with denni balls and also slowly rising the salt level now. your blue throat recover?

bro lemon, at first i tot was velvet but no new fish was added and it been 3 weeks.

what should i do next?

Shut down the denitrator first. Then slowly bring the pH back up using sodium bicarbonate. Once pH is in normal range then you work on your salinity level. Once your parameters are back to normal then you can consider to run your denitrator again. Best to get a pH monitor to see if the denitrator is causing any pH swings.

• SRC Member

My tang used to encounter this when the tank is having a bout of white spot disease.

It went away after a long period of hypo. Did you add in new fishes recently? Some strains of ick are hypo resistant. What is the salinity of your hypo. Mine went away only at 1.009SG. 1.012 did not manage to clear it.

Best Regards,

Morpheous

==========================================================================================

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

==========================================================================================

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

• SRC Member

In addition, I had to remove the LRs too to cure it. During the wee morning period, should you past your tank, turn on the light and see if you can see needle sized parasites on the glass wall..

Best Regards,

Morpheous

My Ocean Pets:

Emperor Angel, PowderBlue Tang, Regal Angel, Teardrop Butterfly, Singapore Angel and Nemos

(Only when you guard your lips, you guard your soul....)

Agree with Morpheous. There are some strains of white spot which can be resistant to hyposalinity. You should take a close look at the spots. If the spots seem to be on thin threads and move with the current, it is most probably a pH / hydrogen sulphide issue.

• SRC Member
Shut down the denitrator first. Then slowly bring the pH back up using sodium bicarbonate. Once pH is in normal range then you work on your salinity level. Once your parameters are back to normal then you can consider to run your denitrator again. Best to get a pH monitor to see if the denitrator is causing any pH swings.

thanks bro. what is sodium bicarbonate.? how to add into the water and what is the ideal PH range for FOWLR? yeap i've a PH monitor.

• SRC Member
My tang used to encounter this when the tank is having a bout of white spot disease.

It went away after a long period of hypo. Did you add in new fishes recently? Some strains of ick are hypo resistant. What is the salinity of your hypo. Mine went away only at 1.009SG. 1.012 did not manage to clear it.

hi bro i kept my salinity at 1.009 - 1.010... for 10 weeks no new fish added...

• Senior Reefer
thanks bro. what is sodium bicarbonate.? how to add into the water and what is the ideal PH range for FOWLR? yeap i've a PH monitor.

sodium bicarbonate, Na2CO3, also known as baking soda. commonly found in grocery stores for baking.

Sodium bicarbonate is also known as bicarbonate of soda. Can be bought as 1kg bottles from baking shops. Works fine for FOWLR. Try to keep pH above 8.1, not more than 8.3. Just test your kH each time you add sodium bicarbonate. Keep the kH around 8-10 and your pH should more or less be around that range.

• SRC Member
Sodium bicarbonate is also known as bicarbonate of soda. Can be bought as 1kg bottles from baking shops. Works fine for FOWLR. Try to keep pH above 8.1, not more than 8.3. Just test your kH each time you add sodium bicarbonate. Keep the kH around 8-10 and your pH should more or less be around that range.

thanks bro i give it a try. dun think its another strains of white spots as the rest of the fish are alright. in fact, the YT have small brown spots and small holes as well.

you manage to save your trigger previously? hope the rest of the fish dun get it....

thanks bro i give it a try. dun think its another strains of white spots as the rest of the fish are alright. in fact, the YT have small brown spots and small holes as well.

you manage to save your trigger previously? hope the rest of the fish dun get it....

I never took the triggers back. I gave them away. Turned out that I was over-stretching my biological filtration. Have since buffed up my filtration media. I don't get this anymore after reducing my bioload, improving filtration and decomming my sulphur denitrator.

Hi bro,

Sorry to reply late as I am swarm with work.

Anyway, my 2 cents:

It is true marine ich can be eliminated in hypo-saline environment. However, I strongly believes prolonged hypo-saline exposure to marine fishes used to saline environment may expose them to new problems -

1) Marine ich thrives in saline environment and fresh water ich thrives in fresh water, will there be a protozoan that thrives in hypo-saline environment?

2) Fishes in saline environment may be able to survive in hypo-saline environment for s hort period but I highly doubt they have the immunity to diseases / protozoans / parasites found outside their usual envrionment.

3) To me, hypo-saline treatment is to kill off any protozoans thriving in saline / fresh water environment and I would gradually raise / lower the salinity once the treatment is performed to meet the life-cycle of the protozoans.

HTH ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
Hi bro,

Sorry to reply late as I am swarm with work.

Anyway, my 2 cents:

It is true marine ich can be eliminated in hypo-saline environment. However, I strongly believes prolonged hypo-saline exposure to marine fishes used to saline environment may expose them to new problems -

1) Marine ich thrives in saline environment and fresh water ich thrives in fresh water, will there be a protozoan that thrives in hypo-saline environment?

2) Fishes in saline environment may be able to survive in hypo-saline environment for s hort period but I highly doubt they have the immunity to diseases / protozoans / parasites found outside their usual envrionment.

3) To me, hypo-saline treatment is to kill off any protozoans thriving in saline / fresh water environment and I would gradually raise / lower the salinity once the treatment is performed to meet the life-cycle of the protozoans.

HTH ;)

bro goudian / fuel

very cheem for me.... i'm doing hypo for 10 weeks and starting to raise my salinity this week what what i do? i'm running the below

1. aquamedic nitrate reducer (denni balls)

2. po4FR

3. carbon

4. skimmer

what should i do next? can i continue run the nitrate reducer instead of off as bro fuel said and slowly raise the salinity? so in time the parimeter will return to normal? PH is low due to hypo condition. ...

bro goudian / fuel

very cheem for me.... i'm doing hypo for 10 weeks and starting to raise my salinity this week what what i do? i'm running the below

1. aquamedic nitrate reducer (denni balls)

2. po4FR

3. carbon

4. skimmer

what should i do next? can i continue run the nitrate reducer instead of off as bro fuel said and slowly raise the salinity? so in time the parimeter will return to normal? PH is low due to hypo condition. ...

pH can be affected by the lack of carbonate or the increase in acid in your tank.

Situation 1: hypo = low salt = low carbonate + animal respirations = low pH

Situation 2: Nitrate reactor produces too much sulphuric acid + low carbonate in hypo tank = low pH

If I were you, I will gradually increase the salinity and observe.

If your Nitrate reactor effluent is not smelling like rotten eggs, I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Just my 2 cents. Bro FuEL, what's your take? ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

I have no experience with deni balls. Not sure if the effluent from them is acidic. Test the effluent. If it is acidic, stop running it for the time being.

I would correct the pH issue first, raising salinity back up needs to be done slowly. If done slowly the pH swing will drag out and put more stress on the fish.

Once pH is in normal range then work on your salinity. Try not to increase pH more than 0.1 per day.

• SRC Member

hi Joe,

before i give me assumption, let me ask you these questions

Qns 1) Dozing ozone? if so how much?

Qns 2) Denitrator smelling of rotten egg?

Qns 3) When is the last time you change carbon?

Qns 4) when is the first time you witness such "disease" advancing? with regards to start of ur hypo treatment

Qns 5) when is the last time you change water?

Qns 6) hows your denitrator flow rate like? peeing style? dripping style? best if u can measure ph in ur tank.

qns 7) in ur own perception, is ur sailfin dorsal nipped due to aggression?

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

hi Joe,

before i give me assumption, let me ask you these questions

hi law

reply as below

Qns 1) Dozing ozone? if so how much?

using C50 dosing half of it for 2hrs everyday

Qns 2) Denitrator smelling of rotten egg?

used to but increase my flow as advise so now long longer smell of rotten eggs

Qns 3) When is the last time you change carbon?

1 month back

Qns 4) when is the first time you witness such "disease" advancing? with regards to start of ur hypo treatment

last 3 weeks

Qns 5) when is the last time you change water?

change 15% every week using distill water

• SRC Member

2 more qns added after i edited :P

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member
2 more qns added after i edited :P

Qns 6) hows your denitrator flow rate like? peeing style? dripping style? best if u can measure ph in ur tank.

constant, dripping flow.

qns 7) in ur own perception, is ur sailfin dorsal nipped due to aggression?

the top part is nip, recovering i'm more concern bout the ?sand paper" like spots on the saifin and YT. funny part is both are eating well.

i've a feeling it could be cos of low PH but i'm not 100% sure if PH might cause this brown like spots and small holes. bro fuel said it sulphur pisoning could be true is aqua medic denni balls considered "sulphur"? the water dripping out is no smell and zero nitrate now.

• SRC Member

in my own perception,

the cause its no parasites or infection but rather environmental. im 99% sure.

i experience these before during my hypo as well.

to simply say, its like HLLE to me. as you observe closely on the picture of your sailfin tang, the dots are more of aligned with the lateral lines on the side of the fish and the finnage is uneven to me.

looking at your YT also reminds me of my YT during hypo. "dots on the head"

main cause includes not enough "elements" in environment causing those HLLE, another contributing factor might be pH too.

and a factor thats contribute to HLLE is ozone, but ur ozone dosage is fairly low but I will suggest shutting it off completely till your fish recover or else the finnage will be hard to recover or perhaps never going to recover from my experience with higher dose of ozone.

if you are worried about pH, use more "complete buffer". baking soda is not a complete buffer but it is still useful and cheap at times. and even if you use baking soda, theres a fear you might overdose. so take note.

this problem can be counter off with you starting to increase your salinity back to standards. though they are feeding, it is not enough. dosing amino and vits to your food and water is a plus^3 point. trace elements too. so take note.

and discard your smelly rotten egg water outside the tank, when its done with the smell, then drip back into the tank.

do something before its too late to reverse it.

all the best Joe