Number of fishes to be kept in a 3 foote

Eniram

Hey reefers,

Any advice or guidelines on the number of fishes to be added into a 3 footer?

I have currently 17 fishes and 3 in sump tank (adopted 2 and 1 went in via overflow)

Love angels and planning to add 3 more before i stop. So how? Sell away some fishes? Pls advice :blush:

Hey reefers,

Any advice or guidelines on the number of fishes to be added into a 3 footer?

I have currently 17 fishes and 3 in sump tank (adopted 2 and 1 went in via overflow)

Love angels and planning to add 3 more before i stop. So how? Sell away some fishes? Pls advice :blush:

hee u got too many fishes in your 3ft tank le, but if all is small one should be ok ba. To increase the number of fishes, maybe u can try put a few kg of biohome inside, this should enable u to add more fishes. Another thing is must have a good skimmer to skim out all the waste they produce. hope it help. =)

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member
hTo increase the number of fishes, maybe u can try put a few kg of biohome inside, this should enable u to add more fishes.

be careful, doesnt mean you just need to keep adding biohome so you can add more fishes. :eyebrow:

otherwise I can add 100kg biohome and add 1000 fishes :P

be careful, doesnt mean you just need to keep adding biohome so you can add more fishes. :eyebrow:

Wahaha okok point taken. =)

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)

• SRC Member
hee u got too many fishes in your 3ft tank le, but if all is small one should be ok ba. To increase the number of fishes, maybe u can try put a few kg of biohome inside, this should enable u to add more fishes. Another thing is must have a good skimmer to skim out all the waste they produce. hope it help. =)

may i ask whats biohome

Thanks guys, i'm now trying to reduce my nitrate level by using bacteria. Skimmer i'm using is a reef octopus 160 which is a slightly over spec. which is meant for a 4 footer, also using Seachem De-Nitrate!

I think i will SO need to catch some fishes to reduce the bioload! any angel adopters for Coral Beauty and Eibli?

Thanks guys, i'm now trying to reduce my nitrate level by using bacteria. Skimmer i'm using is a reef octopus 160 which is a slightly over spec. which is meant for a 4 footer, also using Seachem De-Nitrate!

I think i will SO need to catch some fishes to reduce the bioload! any angel adopters for Coral Beauty and Eibli?

Hee where u stay, if near i will adopt the coral beauty.=)

Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es

• SRC Member

How large does your sump tank need to be to put in 100kg of Biohome??? :eyebrow:

And I think you can put 1,000 fishes in a 3 foot tank if all your fishes are like 5mm in size... :lol:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
Just to make a point bro... Just exaggerating :)

Yup, I know... :P

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

If you have been keeping these fishes for some time already and they are doing fine, then they should be ok.

What is your nitrate level now? Removing the pygmy angels will not help much anyway - unless if you are thinking of replacing them with other fishes.

a picture will be nice. curious about your tank.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Woo sad to say my nitrate is high! Its at 100 :paiseh:

Yes i know its really bad but am doing all means to reduce the nitrate. Adding bacteria, using Chaeto, De-nitrate.

FTS of my tank will be coming up soon

• SRC Member
Woo sad to say my nitrate is high! Its at 100 :paiseh:

Yes i know its really bad but am doing all means to reduce the nitrate. Adding bacteria, using Chaeto, De-nitrate.

FTS of my tank will be coming up soon

lol feed too much. reduce to 1 feeding per day and starve them for 1 week. see what happens?

you just need to sell away some fishes la... too many le if you want to reduce your nitrates.

Yup totally agree feed too much! Time to take out my fish trap and start catching some to sell or give away......now which one shall i trap and sell?

• SRC Member
Yup totally agree feed too much! Time to take out my fish trap and start catching some to sell or give away......now which one shall i trap and sell?

u need to let us know what u have before we can give u suggestion.

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

lol trap n sell those tt allow to be trapped? You won't be able to trap the smart ones... which usually are the ones you want to get rid of.... lol

no need to list fishes lar... Can tell what fishes you prob keeping le.

u need to let us know what u have before we can give u suggestion.

lol trap n sell those tt allow to be trapped? You won't be able to trap the smart ones... which usually are the ones you want to get rid of.... lol

no need to list fishes lar... Can tell what fishes you prob keeping le.

Ok i am keeping ........

6 dwarf angels

1 Large angel

3 clowns

2 wrasse

1 hawkfish

1 Royal Gamma

2 Tangs

1 Dottyback

1 Sand goby

Alright this are the list of fishes in my tank.

• SRC Member
Alright guys as requested my fts, pls give your comments :unsure:

Wow it looks nice :) lots of caves for your fishes to hide too!

Sandbed looks clean... Maybe you should feed less and monitor? If no algae outbreak and corals are thriving I wouldn't worry about 100ppm nitrates, look at lemon's tank will understand le

Wow it looks nice :) lots of caves for your fishes to hide too!

Sandbed looks clean... Maybe you should feed less and monitor? If no algae outbreak and corals are thriving I wouldn't worry about 100ppm nitrates, look at lemon's tank will understand le

Thanks comycus, but i still think i need to do a rescape as there are dead spots around the right hand side of the tank which my MP40 is unable to reach. Other then that i think there are better looking tanks around and yours is just as beautiful. We all have alot to learn from reefers out there.

Corals wise my cloves are dying, if you see closely my octo one of the heads is gone. Other then that the only corals i am keeping are mushies that are doing pretty ok, the zoas that came with the rocks that are not opening up which i don't know why. Need to ask iceman!

I won't say the sand bed is "CLEAN" it has some diatoms growing around the mesh where i house the open brain. Other then that the sand dollar and goby are just doing thier jobs.

Yes lemon's tank is very nice.

• Senior Reefer

hahaha. comycus means that lemon's tank has 100ppm of NO3, but everything is still fine.

bro eniram, to be honest i have been fighting my 100ppm NO3 for months. till i cant even be bothered. guess from my FTS u can't tell the NO3 concentration. however the past few months it has been better. at around 25-50ppm. not much to shout about but great considering it was 100ppm before.

try using AZ-NO3. it helps

hahaha. comycus means that lemon's tank has 100ppm of NO3, but everything is still fine.

bro eniram, to be honest i have been fighting my 100ppm NO3 for months. till i cant even be bothered. guess from my FTS u can't tell the NO3 concentration. however the past few months it has been better. at around 25-50ppm. not much to shout about but great considering it was 100ppm before.

try using AZ-NO3. it helps

how did you manage to lower it Lemon?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!