canister filter

hi reefer,

i'm very new to this hobby, have not get started but now in the planning phase. need some advice from experience reefer here. first of all, i'm quite budget constrain. and wish to utilise whatever equipment i have now as i having a freshwater planted tank. i have search around the forum and could not really find the answer that i'm looking for that why i decided to do up this post.

1) i have a canister filter which i wish to utilise and i understand that it not recommended to use a canister in marine. but i believe there are reefer out there using a canister and doing very well for their tank. need good advice as to how about utilising my canister. (2ft tank)

2) i have a normal 2ft tank. not sure whether is it able to support a marine tank. i looking at setting up a coral tank. could experience reefer provide me spec to tank and better still where i can get then at a good price.

thank a million

• SRC Member
hi reefer,

i'm very new to this hobby, have not get started but now in the planning phase. need some advice from experience reefer here. first of all, i'm quite budget constrain. and wish to utilise whatever equipment i have now as i having a freshwater planted tank. i have search around the forum and could not really find the answer that i'm looking for that why i decided to do up this post.

1) i have a canister filter which i wish to utilise and i understand that it not recommended to use a canister in marine. but i believe there are reefer out there using a canister and doing very well for their tank. need good advice as to how about utilising my canister. (2ft tank)

2) i have a normal 2ft tank. not sure whether is it able to support a marine tank. i looking at setting up a coral tank. could experience reefer provide me spec to tank and better still where i can get then at a good price.

thank a million

Cannister filter can be used in marine. I'm using an Eheim 2026 with output split between my chiller & my FR and then return to my tank. However, my tank is only 2x1x1 so not an issue to use a cannister filter.

To see if your 2ft tank can be used for marine, firstly what is the size of your 2ft tank and the thickness of your tank? If you want to get a 2ft tank, I think there are reefers currently selling their 2ft tanks in the pasar malam.

One pirce of equipment you must definately have for marine is a skimmer especially if you are running it sumpless... :P

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Cannister filter can be used in marine. I'm using an Eheim 2026 with output split between my chiller & my FR and then return to my tank. However, my tank is only 2x1x1 so not an issue to use a cannister filter.

To see if your 2ft tank can be used for marine, firstly what is the size of your 2ft tank and the thickness of your tank? If you want to get a 2ft tank, I think there are reefers currently selling their 2ft tanks in the pasar malam.

One pirce of equipment you must definately have for marine is a skimmer especially if you are running it sumpless... :P

may i know whar are the medium you have in your canister?

my tank is a 2x1x1. with a thickness of about 50mm. it those typical 2ft tank you buy off the shelf.

lastly, peter care to share pic of your tank.

• SRC Member

my tank is a 2x1x1. with a thickness of about 50mm. it those typical 2ft tank you buy off the shelf.

i used to use a canister before changing it to a sump..

the part i dont like about canister is you've to remove it every week to change the filter wool and clean the medium...

good to get those quality filters like eheim if you're planning to use it in the long run...

i've got really really bad experience with those china brands...

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

In my cannister I have bio rings and rowa phos.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

I recently changed my filter wool brand, dunno if it's higher grade or what, but seems to not clog up so fast. I only open up my canister every month.

My advice when using canister, make sure you get a quality one. The worse outcome is the canister leaks and you get saltwater all over your floor. While there are benefits to running a sump, you can still use canister to replace the sump. I run mechanical filtration, biohome and activated carbon with my eheim 2075 for my 3ft. No problems so far.

I would suggest that you get a new tank. It is relatively cheap (prob less than 2 blue notes) and you get the assurance that it won't crack, silicone doesn't give way. 5mm is abit too thin for my comfort. I would suggest at least 8mm, if not 10mm.

Lastly, since you are new to the hobby, take the time to read up on setting up a reef tank, cycling, filtration, importance of water quality etc. Our forums have tons of information. I'm confident you can find many answers here. If all else fails, you can always post your questions for the experts here to answer.

• SRC Member
i m also a cannister reefer!!! hahaha...its possible for marine even up to 3ft to use cannister...so long u can control yr bioload which is the no. of livestocks in yr tank and deligently maintain yr tank to prevent build up of nutrients.

woohoo! I didn't know so many bros here are canister users :)

• SRC Member

Wah...so many reefers using cannister filter... :P

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

i used to use a canister before changing it to a sump..

the part i dont like about canister is you've to remove it every week to change the filter wool and clean the medium...

good to get those quality filters like eheim if you're planning to use it in the long run...

i've got really really bad experience with those china brands...

can any bro enlighten me why is it that using a canister filter, weekly or rather more frequent washing of filter have to be done? i felt that it just similar to having a sump, in a sump there would be mechanical filtration such as wool i guess. that mean it will cork up as what happen in a canister and in turn slow down the flowrate too.

is a wave maker require in a small tank like 2ft ?

• SRC Member
lol bro only the few of us... but your 3ft no more using canister rite? :mellow:

I may get a cheap cannister to use for mechanical filtration and also to put my phosphate media... :eyebrow: I think Jacky got one he never use for a few years...see if that one can still be used or not. Otherwise may get a eheim classic... :rolleyes:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
can any bro enlighten me why is it that using a canister filter, weekly or rather more frequent washing of filter have to be done? i felt that it just similar to having a sump, in a sump there would be mechanical filtration such as wool i guess. that mean it will cork up as what happen in a canister and in turn slow down the flowrate too.

is a wave maker require in a small tank like 2ft ?

Actually it is the same except that for cannister it is more troublesome to clean the wool filters since you have to remove the cannister from your system first.

Wavemaker may or may not be required. Depends on what you are keeping in your tank.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

I'm using Deltec MCE600 for my skimmer and 2 Hydor Nano wavemakers connected to an Ocean Pulse Duo system that alternates on and off each wavemaker for my 2ft tank.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Bubbleking, I think will be super overkill for a 2ft tank... :P

Tunze/Vortec wavemakers are pretty expensive too...

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

bro,

the brand you recommend is kind of high end. i only cater a budget of say less than hundred each for wavemaker and skimmer. how about brand like hydor or boyu ? are they reliable?

and also can someone enlighten me on the placement of skimmer. i understand that some have to be place partially in the tank, some are out outside and some are place in the sump. are skimmer electric operated or an external pump is require to power them ?

I recommend deltec, bubbleking if you have the budge of course.

Wavemaker can go for either tUnze or vortech

• SRC Member

Since u are on tight budget I suggest you take a look at algae scrubber. It's an alternative u can consider to skimmers. If you prefer skimmers I highly recommend u get a more reliable one, maybe 2nd hand so you don't burst your budget. Deltec is really worth every penny, otherwise can consider AquaC remora.

There are mainly in sump, external and hang on back skimmers. The remora is a hob, means u just hang onto the tank or sump. The other 2 quite self explanatory. All skimmers will have at least 1 pump to pump in water, modified for air intake. The pumps are included in the skimmer, just in case you freak out and think you need to buy another pump.

U can look at seio wavemakers if on a tight budget.

If you're on a budget, look at the Hydor Koralia or Seio wavemakers. For the price they do a really good job, and come in a wide variety of sizes.

Personally I would avoid the other "China best" wavemakers, they're not much cheaper.

i'm wondering is the use of anti chlorine advisable for marine tank? beside using RO or distill water. what other way can help to condition the water for water change?

If you're on a budget, look at the Hydor Koralia or Seio wavemakers. For the price they do a really good job, and come in a wide variety of sizes.

Personally I would avoid the other "China best" wavemakers, they're not much cheaper.