Algae Scrubber versus Chaeto

craftsman

Hi all,

Wonder if there is any testing done before between the Nitrate reduction effectiveness of an Algae Scrubber versus a refugium with just Chaeto. Also interested if anyone can share his/her experiences with regard to this.

Thanks!

Paul

hhmm... no one want to advise.... <_<

Ive used algea srubber before indeed u can see the result damp fast after 3weeks time but the cleaning part is very tiring and ur sump tank glass will also have lots of algea

for cheato yes it neat but u need alot of cal for it to work in a better mode it most of all is do the nutrein export like wise the ageal will still glow on ur main tank

• SRC Member

I have heard of ppl running only algae scrubber in their system but never heard of ppl running only chaeto. Maybe can infer?

I suggest if you are really interested in additional nutrient export, start off with chaeto and run for a few months. If you are still not satisfied, then worry about how to set up an algae scrubber. It's not as simple as running chaeto in sump. Also need to take note, for a relatively bigger tank like yours, you need a substantial amount of algae/chaeto for the setup to work.

But since your tank is starting up, I would also recommend not to use any of these first and see where tt brings you to. Maybe you don't even need to employ any of these methods.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for replying.... :thanks: Yeah, I'm also afraid of the time required to clean off algea, and more importantly, that there isn't any Algae Turf Scrubber DIY design which is in my opinion good and clean cut enough. <_< It will just mess up the sump area... sigh.....

Thanks guys for replying.... :thanks: Yeah, I'm also afraid of the time required to clean off algea, and more importantly, that there isn't any Algae Turf Scrubber DIY design which is in my opinion good and clean cut enough. <_< It will just mess up the sump area... sigh.....

told you your overflow will be a natural algae scrubber..... :P

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• 3 years later...

look like an old posting,

I like to continue from here :)

Most of reefers are into cheato sump.

For cheato sump for nutrients export.

Is it true, the cheato sump has to be of appropriate size to the main tank.

Is this true? as i have seen some other reefers using small compartment in the sump for this method.

some reefers even use a plastic to house cheato in the sump. is it still effective?

• 1 month later...
Thanks guys for replying.... thanx.gif Yeah, I'm also afraid of the time required to clean off algea, and more importantly, that there isn't any Algae Turf Scrubber DIY design which is in my opinion good and clean cut enough. dry.gif It will just mess up the sump area... sigh.....
If u want to know more about algae scrubber, u could take a look at this website http://www.algaescrubber.net Lots of DIY design n and there are resellers who sell quality made scrubbers. I bought mine from Floyd R Turbo. He is selling the L2,L3 and L4 LED scrubber. Price are reasonable as it is well made and proven to work great. More on his product at https://www.turbosaquatics.com/