temperature for FOWLR

Hai, everyone..... need some advice here on the temperature to maintain a FOWLR..

Actually, i've just upgraded my tank from a 3 footer to a 4by2by2.5 ard 6 mths back

and has been using a Resun CL650 to maintain my temp at 28deg with success...

Only until recently thinking to take out tat chiller as to lower down my mthly billings...

LOL.. I've tried to do without it and my water temp stays 30-31deg.. is it ok?

any advise from senior reefers out there...

30-31,should b ok for FOWLR.only setback is ur water will evaporates faster(more topup)From my past experience,higher temp is infact better for ur fishes,BUT never let it gets too high,otherwise all ur LR will turn bleach white. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck

With angels inside, 30-31 ok? i c them doing ok for the last few days but any long term side effects???

I really worry for them....

With angels inside, 30-31 ok? i c them doing ok for the last few days but any long term side effects???

30 degree should be still ok. But these few months weather is cooler so if your tank is already 30-31, then during the hotter times, your tank temp is prob gg to shoot up to 33 and possibly higher.

Lower temp (25-27 degree) benefits all fishes. Becos metabolic rate is lowered, higher dissolved oxygen level in the water, slow down spread of diseases and parasites like ich and velvet etc.

However most fishes can survive (even long term) at high temp over 30 degree. So as long as u keep to hardy species with no low temp requirement, temporary surge of high temp is fine for FOWLR.

30 degree should be still ok. But these few months weather is cooler so if your tank is already 30-31, then during the hotter times, your tank temp is prob gg to shoot up to 33 and possibly higher.

Lower temp (25-27 degree) benefits all fishes. Becos metabolic rate is lowered, higher dissolved oxygen level in the water, slow down spread of diseases and parasites like ich and velvet etc.

However most fishes can survive (even long term) at high temp over 30 degree. So as long as u keep to hardy species with no low temp requirement, temporary surge of high temp is fine for FOWLR.

do hardy species include true percula?

do hardy species include true percula?

yup true percula r quite hardy fishes. =)

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

For fishes with high metabolism like anthias or tangs, lower temperature would help greatly if you can only afford to feed 1-2 times a day. Easier for them to gain body weight at lower temperature if you don't feed many times a day.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Thnx evryone tat replied... Anyway after much consideration and feedbacks, i think i will stick to my chiller...

Very worry tat hi temp will cause long term effects to my valuable angels... Cheers!!!

but false better for beginners right? (:

Hmmm actually most of the clown fishes r quite hardy, temp hitting 31 degree should be ok for them, actually most of the time what kill them might not be temp rather it maybe water parameter. false percula is better for beginner is because they r the cheapet so if died le, not so heart pain. But end of the day if your water parameter is ok, most of the clown fishes should be able to survive. =)

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• Senior Reefer

of course if possible, lowering the temperature will be greatly helpful to the fish. afterall, they are already living in such confined spaces compared to their home in the sea. least one can do is make them feel comfortable :)

• SRC Member
Thnx evryone tat replied... Anyway after much consideration and feedbacks, i think i will stick to my chiller...

Very worry tat hi temp will cause long term effects to my valuable angels... Cheers!!!

since you are sticking with your chiller which i think it is a good choice (esp when hotter months of the year), you can set the temp below 30 degrees instead of 28 since you only have a FOWLR and want to cut down electricity consumption. The chiller should kick in less often now and the fishes are happy. : )

• SRC Member

clowns, be it fasle or percula.

initial stage they can hit by brook aka clownfish disease. but after that stage, they can be hardy. i suggest getting breeded clowns. check with JoeP and fuel, the 2 breeding saints.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

since you are sticking with your chiller which i think it is a good choice (esp when hotter months of the year), you can set the temp below 30 degrees instead of 28 since you only have a FOWLR and want to cut down electricity consumption. The chiller should kick in less often now and the fishes are happy. : )

but when i set to 30deg, is there any adverse effect if i want to continue growing coralline algae on my live rocks??? cos i've already have some purplish growth on my rocks and tank base ( as i dont have any sand for my set up). Any further advise on tat??

• SRC Member
but when i set to 30deg, is there any adverse effect if i want to continue growing coralline algae on my live rocks??? cos i've already have some purplish growth on my rocks and tank base ( as i dont have any sand for my set up). Any further advise on tat??

hmm, l'm not too sure abt that though. Maybe other reefers can help to advise.

Hmmm actually most of the clown fishes r quite hardy, temp hitting 31 degree should be ok for them, actually most of the time what kill them might not be temp rather it maybe water parameter. false percula is better for beginner is because they r the cheapet so if died le, not so heart pain. But end of the day if your water parameter is ok, most of the clown fishes should be able to survive. =)

oooh thks, and sorry for invading the topic starter's thread.=p

• SRC Member

why would you still want to set to 30 degrees with a chiller? Fowlr tanks normally feature angels, anthias, tangs and other fishes that require lower temperatures. Worse if you intend to keep deepwater species.

The little $ you save on electricity bills is little justification to $ lost when fish up lorry and loss of life. Even if your fish acclimatizes to the temperature, I still wouldn't do it. You can probably survive in the Sahara Desert with ample food and water, but would you like it? <_<

• Senior Reefer

to make it simple,

higher temp = higher metabolic rate = higher energy consumption, lower O2 levels, more feeding, more stress.

Lower temp = lower metabolic rate = lower energy consumption, higher O2 levels, less feeding, less stress.

Both are acceptable, both are doable. choose whichever you want and stick with it. coraline algae don't care if its warm or cool. cooler is definately better, but they will still grow in warm waters