Fishshop at chinatown...Qns bout pico reef tank

any1 using Jirah quickstart system here?hmm seems alright..

Peter selling his Jireh Quickstart system if you are keen but I would rather you follow our advises in the earlier posts.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if want to buy livestock, i will recommend farm visits(pasir ris) and for equipment, 328. At times, travelling abit is worth the effort. Well, there are helpful reefers who can bring you round or tonpang you to farm visit. : )

er,,, 328 is where har?and for AM at paya lebar after i take train there then its walking distance liao?

Hmmm "today" actually my off day... er.. maybe will go AM or pasir ris fishfarm see see look look..but by public transport can reach?o.o"

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member
Peter selling his Jireh Quickstart system if you are keen but I would rather you follow our advises in the earlier posts.

Mine already sold liao... :upsidedown:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
er,,, 328 is where har?and for AM at paya lebar after i take train there then its walking distance liao?

Hmmm "today" actually my off day... er.. maybe will go AM or pasir ris fishfarm see see look look..but by public transport can reach?o.o"

328 is Clementi Blk 328. Within walking distance from Clementi MRT.

AM by public transport, take MRT to Aljunied then take bus 62 until u see the turtle soup restaurant along upper paya lebar rd. Cross the road and u will see AM.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
328 is Clementi Blk 328. Within walking distance from Clementi MRT.

AM by public transport, take MRT to Aljunied then take bus 62 until u see the turtle soup restaurant along upper paya lebar rd. Cross the road and u will see AM.

C328 is at Clementi Ave 2 btw. There are 2 fish shops at block 328. Polyart and C328. Both offer extremely attractive pricing if you can find what you are looking for there.

Mine already sold liao... :upsidedown:

oh is that system gd?seems convienent as its a 3 in 1 thingy... lolz

or shd js get a hob filter/skimmer can liao?

need to save space oso hmmmm... i only have a 30 ny 40 area to put the tank on my table hmmm

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member
oh is that system gd?seems convienent as its a 3 in 1 thingy... lolz

or shd js get a hob filter/skimmer can liao?

need to save space oso hmmmm... i only have a 30 ny 40 area to put the tank on my table hmmm

As a previous user, I wouldn't recommend you getting that system. Firstly, if your tank is only a 30 or 40cm cube, the width is already going to take up 10cm of your tank space.

In order for you to maximise your space, I would say get a cheap china cannister filter e.g. weipro or Jebo/jebao, run carbon and phosphate media in it and then get a skimmer. For lighting, you might want to consider those clip on LED lighting and for corals, get those that do not require bright and strong lights. Fishes, get 2 or 3 small fishes would be enough.

HOB filters may be able to be used but you must get those with larger media compartments. Skimmer wise, get a HOB one or if you are able to change 20% of water weekly, then u may not require a skimmer.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

oh the canister wont be very big hor?coz i only got a 15 x 15 space behind it..under my table no space alamak...

theres a FS at yishun any1 know of it..been there but wonder the prices there gd anot,havent been to many FS so donno prices well at all..

skimmer will look for a HOB de oso to save space.. plan to put 2 fish 2 prawn 1 coral. can makee it ? =/

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member
oh the canister wont be very big hor?coz i only got a 15 x 15 space behind it..under my table no space alamak...

theres a FS at yishun any1 know of it..been there but wonder the prices there gd anot,havent been to many FS so donno prices well at all..

skimmer will look for a HOB de oso to save space.. plan to put 2 fish 2 prawn 1 coral. can makee it ? =/

2 fish, 2 prawn(cleaner shrimp???) and 1 coral chould be fine without a chiller. Actually with 2 fish and 2 prawn you may not need a skimmer. Just do weekly water changes would be sufficient.

For cannister filter, you can get a 2nd hand one lor. China brand 2nd hand filter not more than $50.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

2 fish, 2 prawn(cleaner shrimp???) and 1 coral chould be fine without a chiller. Actually with 2 fish and 2 prawn you may not need a skimmer. Just do weekly water changes would be sufficient.

For cannister filter, you can get a 2nd hand one lor. China brand 2nd hand filter not more than $50.

pasar malam has 2213 eheim on sale i think . check it out

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member
alamak think tat peep was selling the 2133's filter nia =/

U can go aquartic quotient forum (fresh water forum) to take a look. I saw a number of people selling jebao/jebo/weipro/atman cannister filters from $10 - $30 there.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Gonna throw my freshwater fishfood inside to start cycling. Doink but ny rock and sand ain't live. Uncle say will eventually become live. Don't realli belies him. Er... Anyone can spare me one tiny piece of live rock?Btw way I pout 3/4 pack of seasalt into my tank. Isit too much?I still see salt residue on my sandbed =\

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

Gonna throw my freshwater fishfood inside to start cycling. Doink but ny rock and sand ain't live. Uncle say will eventually become live. Don't realli belies him. Er... Anyone can spare me one tiny piece of live rock?Btw way I pout 3/4 pack of seasalt into my tank. Isit too much?I still see salt residue on my sandbed =\

Dude, do you have a Hydrometer or Refractometer? You need to get the salinity right... If you don't have one, you better get one soon. Thats a piece of equipment you will need.

• SRC Member

U put 3/4 pack of salt in your tank??? How big is this packet of salt and how many litres of water is in your tank???

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
I do have. And the reading needle just went all the way up =(. Alamak. What shd I do?

What you should do is to drain out half of the water in your tank and add in new DI water. Measure the salinity until you get a reading between 1.020 to 1.025. This is the correct salinity you should be using.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

The shop asked me pour that amount de.. Guess it was too much. Nvm, did as bro Peter advised. Lvl at 1.03 now. Leave it to cycle now. But my rock and sand think not very live er.. Still can cycle like that?rushing off to gf place stay now as tmr morning need be brother for frens wedding =\hope can catchlast train.

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member
The shop asked me pour that amount de.. Guess it was too much. Nvm, did as bro Peter advised. Lvl at 1.03 now. Leave it to cycle now. But my rock and sand think not very live er.. Still can cycle like that?rushing off to gf place stay now as tmr morning need be brother for frens wedding =\hope can catchlast train.

1.03 is still too high. Lower it to between 1.020 to 1.025.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Having a skimmer is good but doing without one is possible. Getting a good nano skimmer is hard enough, don't even mention pico. If you can run a canister, do it. You can add carbon and rowaphos to help rid of DOCs and phosphate. If you cannot resist the charm of corals, do yourself (and especially your corals) a favor, invest in a chiller. Or put your tank in a 24-hour aircon room. Without a chiller, you can only safely keep softies. You're walking on a tight rope with LPS and you're cooking coral soup with SPS.

Discipline is most important in picos. Weekly water change without fail. LS are added at least 2 weeks apart AFTER the tank is properly cycled. No impulse buys, no matter how nice the LS is. Careful planning of LS as tank real estate is like Singapore. No over feeding. No buying of non-nano LS thinking that you can sell them when they get too big for your tank - it doesn't work.

Lastly, read, research, and ask questions. this forum has many peeps who are helpful and readily share their experiences.

Good Luck and please don't kill a lot of precious livestock. :lol:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Supporter

it is true that a skimmer is not a must.however, it is only recommanded to much experience reefer and also the amt of waste remove per week in a pico,nano will create too much parameter swing to the livestock and more sensitive livestock will not be able to take it in long run.

now the question is, whats the range and wheres the line drawn between sensitive and not so sensitive livestock?

since u say uncle mention liverock will eventually bcome alive,and u din believe him..

why did u believe him the tank can go without skimmer?

infact the liverock thing u shld believe and skimmer wise shldnt believe..

then again, creating a liverock from a deadrock can be done.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

Sorry OT here but TS really reminds me of Peihao83. A pico version hehe :P

Maybe should conduct a workshop for newbies who are interested in setting up a new tank.

That should help them greatly. A 1 hr workshop is more effective than 5,000 posts.

• SRC Member
Sorry OT here but TS really reminds me of Peihao83. A pico version hehe :P

Maybe should conduct a workshop for newbies who are interested in setting up a new tank.

That should help them greatly. A 1 hr workshop is more effective than 5,000 posts.

Ok, Jacky U can conduct a workshop using your nano tank as an example. :eyebrow::whistle:rolleyes::upsidedown:

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List: