Fishshop at chinatown...Qns bout pico reef tank

Hi all.. i'm new here.. Have been reading all the posts ard the forum these past weeks..

I live in woodland and i went down to a fish shop at the chinatown market recently..the one beside the hawker centre 2nd lvl..

The owner is a nice auntie.bought a few FW LS from her.Saw a pico marine tank inside the shop which had a cleaner shrimp nia..i went back a few times and the shrimp still looked quite happy..tat setup cost $298 including LS,Corals,Filter,tank..She mentioned theres a $198 setup and i'm considering bout that..

I asked her any need for some kind of skimmer and she said dont need.i guess such a tiny tank wont need right?nxt i asked what kind of filter will be in the tank and she mentioned under gravel filter.Will be having live rocks in the tank oso..guess small ones huh..then the sand i donno live anot liao..maintence is that i gonna buy $1 of seawater from her every week and change water or i mix the water with sea salt myself..er.. .i know beginners shd start with big tanks,but due to my space & financial constrain i really cant get any bigger then that liao,i wanna put on my table top de,living room is a no no for me,i js plan to keeep a couple of fish and a prawn or js purely prawns.. is it feasible ?

I mean have u all went to that shop b4 and seen that pico tank in the shop before?i wonder realli can tahan marine life anot.. the auntie service oso not bad thats y i willing to consider buy from her...but i think better to ask u all the small tank can keep any LS inside happy anot.i dont have the exact measurement but i agar agar think its ard, 30 x 20 x 20 ..my room i oso think its abit stuffy,will it be too warm for the fishes?

Need advise..dont wanna ill treat any fishys...

=/

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Hi all.. i'm new here.. Have been reading all the posts ard the forum these past weeks..

I live in woodland and i went down to a fish shop at the chinatown market recently..the one beside the hawker centre 2nd lvl..

The owner is a nice auntie.bought a few FW LS from her.Saw a pico marine tank inside the shop which had a cleaner shrimp nia..i went back a few times and the shrimp still looked quite happy..tat setup cost $298 including LS,Corals,Filter,tank..She mentioned theres a $198 setup and i'm considering bout that..

I asked her any need for some kind of skimmer and she said dont need.i guess such a tiny tank wont need right?nxt i asked what kind of filter will be in the tank and she mentioned under gravel filter.Will be having live rocks in the tank oso..guess small ones huh..then the sand i donno live anot liao..maintence is that i gonna buy $1 of seawater from her every week and change water or i mix the water with sea salt myself..er.. .i know beginners shd start with big tanks,but due to my space & financial constrain i really cant get any bigger then that liao,i wanna put on my table top de,living room is a no no for me,i js plan to keeep a couple of fish and a prawn or js purely prawns.. is it feasible ?

I mean have u all went to that shop b4 and seen that pico tank in the shop before?i wonder realli can tahan marine life anot.. the auntie service oso not bad thats y i willing to consider buy from her...but i think better to ask u all the small tank can keep any LS inside happy anot.i dont have the exact measurement but i agar agar think its ard, 30 x 20 x 20 ..my room i oso think its abit stuffy,will it be too warm for the fishes?

Need advise..dont wanna ill treat any fishys...

=/

erm... If u are going to pay so much just because of a small tank not worth it

and from my view I have seen the tank b4 and numbers of fishes have died inside b4

so Its not worth it <_<

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

Oooo.. so the price is actually too hight huh..roger that~ so wats the price to set up a pic tank then?and what are the equipment needed in compared to normal sized tanks?er... any1 know of any gd LFS in the north side? i only know 1 more LFS thats in yishun..but the LS there dont all seem healthy too...

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member
Oooo.. so the price is actually too hight huh..roger that~ so wats the price to set up a pic tank then?and what are the equipment needed in compared to normal sized tanks?er... any1 know of any gd LFS in the north side? i only know 1 more LFS thats in yishun..but the LS there dont all seem healthy too...

don't go there bro, i stay woodlands too.. for livestocks, the nearest to us is actually CoralFarm or LCK, both at lim chu kang, provided you drive.. alternatively you can go Aquamarin at paya lebar.. these are the better nearer ones to us north-ers.. :)

don't go there bro, i stay woodlands too.. for livestocks, the nearest to us is actually CoralFarm or LCK, both at lim chu kang, provided you drive.. alternatively you can go Aquamarin at paya lebar.. these are the better nearer ones to us north-ers.. :)

Woo..thats the problem :( i dont drive de wor.. so i'm not sure where to find gd shops that can be reached by public transport..

aquamarin can be reached by mrt mah?

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member
Woo..thats the problem :( i dont drive de wor.. so i'm not sure where to find gd shops that can be reached by public transport..

aquamarin can be reached by mrt mah?

yupps aquamarin can be reached by mrt.. can check out their website, www.aquamarin.com.sg :)

which part of woodlands do u live in? i live at woodlands ring..

Ooo snow man bro i live near vista point that side ^^

tks 1000litre..maybe will look ard the aquamarine site recommend by snowman and look at some prices..

guess the only gd thing bout setup by the shop is that everything is planned nicely liao..but of course it has already killed off much of the reefing process fun =x

think pico tanks normally no wavemaker right?later tsumami?LOLx...

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member
Ooo snow man bro i live near vista point that side ^^

tks 1000litre..maybe will look ard the aquamarine site recommend by snowman and look at some prices..

guess the only gd thing bout setup by the shop is that everything is planned nicely liao..but of course it has already killed off much of the reefing process fun =x

think pico tanks normally no wavemaker right?later tsumami?LOLx...

oooh, very near me haha, i live at 888plaza that side.. just down the road.. anyway u are right kimkim, setting up is where the fun is, and you will learn much more in the process.. take your time to plan ur equipment, 2nd hand equipment here in the forum is a very good option.. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
jus opposite kreta ayer food court,name of shop Wong Loy Kee.2nd level..good luck

yep their LS also not that gd <_<

Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

i kept a pico tank with just a skimmer. it's fine. for pico, if u are hard working, regular siphon and water chge, think u may skip some equipment but u must make sure yr tank is mature enough. the livestock u intend to keep also plays a part.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

i kept a pico tank with just a skimmer. it's fine. for pico, if u are hard working, regular siphon and water chge, think u may skip some equipment but u must make sure yr tank is mature enough. the livestock u intend to keep also plays a part.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
i visited the webbie and all the equpiments are branded o.O' got buget ones?=x

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
i see a lot of deaths in that shop for marine life. The corals do not live past a week usually.

Its good to set up your own tank as you will know your specifications well. The tank has been there like forever and the equipment has depreciated as much as its lifespan.

but the fishhead stalls directly opposite this lfs wins.

:off:

fish head I dunno I know the claypot rice opp damn solid must wait damn long

hahaha hungry.. :paiseh:

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

Tks for the replys everyone. I've been reading the forum for awhile and the info is really vast. I read till blur. Can some one state for me a list of basic essestial equipments?space realli is constrain due to very small room and table. Max length I can commint is ard 30-40 cm but height no prob of course. Hope to get cheap equipments but not until the extent ill-treating the fishes or corals inside my tank. Trying to squeeze my wallet for 1.

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• SRC Member
Tks for the replys everyone. I've been reading the forum for awhile and the info is really vast. I read till blur. Can some one state for me a list of basic essestial equipments?space realli is constrain due to very small room and table. Max length I can commint is ard 30-40 cm but height no prob of course. Hope to get cheap equipments but not until the extent ill-treating the fishes or corals inside my tank. Trying to squeeze my wallet for 1.

Well, if you can get a 60cm tank, then it would be better. And what do you want to put in your tank? What is the max budget you can go for?

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
u must try "slipper lobster" hor fun.

slipper lobster?

that one I dunno I know one is the crayfish hor fun solid hahaha

paiseh OT :off:

Member of:
www.marineaquarist.sg

Just get a HOB filter and air stone skimmer.

If you stock lightly and is diligent in your husbandry, should be ok,

I used to have a pico and all I used is a ehiem liberty filter.

managed to keep a clown, purple goby and a shrimp in it.

No corals.

you can also consider getting a 2nd hand Red Sea Prizm skimmer.

not a fantastic product but should be good enough for a small tank.

With everything in, it should not cost you more than 150 to set up a simple pico.

PS : I have which I can let go to you at $60. This model comes with media basket and surface skimming attachment.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!