Fishshop at chinatown...Qns bout pico reef tank

Can I check with ya all what water shd I use for the evaporated water and 10-20% water changes every week?heard bout Tap water and how bad it is to a reef tank. So the way to do it, is it to buy btl distilled water from the supermarket and then use salt mix on it and use it for water top ups and changes?I don't have transport so buying seawater from FS ain't possible, due to the weight.

I'm also using redsea saltmix for cycling my tank now and heard that it ain't very gd too so hope to change the saltmix after I finish my current pack. Is it fine to mix diff saltmix-water togather?I hope I won't need to recycle again 0.o".

I'm guessing diff brands contain diff ingridents so I will js have to retest the water quality again.And adjust te proper levels back. but that's just my assumation of course =x

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Can I check with ya all what water shd I use for the evaporated water and 10-20% water changes every week?heard bout Tap water and how bad it is to a reef tank. So the way to do it, is it to buy btl distilled water from the supermarket and then use salt mix on it and use it for water top ups and changes?I don't have transport so buying seawater from FS ain't possible, due to the weight.

I'm also using redsea saltmix for cycling my tank now and heard that it ain't very gd too so hope to change the saltmix after I finish my current pack. Is it fine to mix diff saltmix-water togather?I hope I won't need to recycle again 0.o".

I'm guessing diff brands contain diff ingridents so I will js have to retest the water quality again.And adjust te proper levels back. but that's just my assumation of course =x

For evaporated water, u can use distilled water that can be bought from NTUC or any supermarket.

Actually most salt mix is the same. Only slight differences in the calcium/magnesium/trace elements.

No need to cycle again even after changing salt mix.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

For evaporated water, u can use distilled water that can be bought from NTUC or any supermarket.

Actually most salt mix is the same. Only slight differences in the calcium/magnesium/trace elements.

No need to cycle again even after changing salt mix.

oh but for the part up part do i need to use mix saltmix?or js plainly pour distilled water in?sry for the noobie qns =/

btw i found something growing on one of my coral...can some1 help me ID this?

IMG_5990.jpg

And i js rescape my tank with some nice live rocks frm bro steven..hope to hear some comments... =p

IMG_5991.jpg

IMG_5992.jpg

IMG_5993.jpg

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

oh but for the part up part do i need to use mix saltmix?or js plainly pour distilled water in?sry for the noobie qns =/

btw i found something growing on one of my coral...can some1 help me ID this?

IMG_5990.jpg

And i js rescape my tank with some nice live rocks frm bro steven..hope to hear some comments... =p

IMG_5991.jpg

IMG_5992.jpg

IMG_5993.jpg

bro ur rock scap looks ok but if can try to scap it in a way that can have alot of flat surface to have proper coral housing if u want i can drop by ur place and help u with the scaping is the rock i pass u enough if not i'll also carry some over for u to fill it up

• SRC Member
Can i check with u all micro bubbles from skimmer alright mah?i know too much is not ok..i tried minimize liao but still got some escape out from outlet..

Some micro bubbles is ok. For some skimmers, you really do not have much of a choice since micro bubbles cannot be easily eliminated.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member
Can i check with u all micro bubbles from skimmer alright mah?i know too much is not ok..i tried minimize liao but still got some escape out from outlet..

use the other outlet which is the sponge one to reduce micro bubbles.

you will have to adjust your skimmer level accordingly if you wish to use that as theres no lever control.

Brown SPS > Kinder Surprise

White SPS = Kinder Surprise after expiry date

Assumption killed the dinosaurs, they didnt have test kits.

Yeah if its very minimal, or the bubbles mostly stay at the surface, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

hi Fuzzy,

how are you doing? Starting yr marine tank soon?

Hope to meet up with you to visit LFS.

Your mushrooms and yumas are huge!

Hehehe thanks bro, hope they are doing well in your tank! They really did grow very

plump and juicy in this tank though, thats why I like to visit GO to look for softies, hehe.

I will be restarting my tank, but not so soon (waiting for after CNY)

Still haven't fully decommed my nano yet, need to fish out my hardworking cleanup crew and find them a good home this week.

Hi Bro Kimkim, the coral that you mentioned on the rock seems like aptisia. If confirmed, remove it before it start spreading.....

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Hi Bro Kimkim, the coral that you mentioned on the rock seems like aptisia. If confirmed, remove it before it start spreading.....

Roger that. Tonight use limewater spray it. Nbz I thought I had freebies. Lolz.apatisia is white colored hor

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...

if yr rock is removable, just take the rock out and use a pen know or sharp object to remove it thorough.

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

personal advice...no point unless you seen it eating, starve it, no predator in your tank and dont feed your tank and keep it dark.....

Algae Scrubbler

Once they eat pellets, frozen, etc, chances are they will not eat aptisia, this is my personal experience but there is always exception. All the best.

Algae Scrubbler

Help fellas..i js bought a KH tester (tetra brand) but the instructions inside are all foreign languages! zzz can some one translate the instructions for me here?

normally it is fill the test vial with your tank water to the marking on the test vial (usually 5 ml)

add the solution provided in the box drop by drop and shake the vial at each drop.

Count the number of drops until the solution changes from blue to yellow.

That is your dKH.

try to achieve 7 -12

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

normally it is fill the test vial with your tank water to the marking on the test vial (usually 5 ml)

add the solution provided in the box drop by drop and shake the vial at each drop.

Count the number of drops until the solution changes from blue to yellow.

That is your dKH.

try to achieve 7 -12

OMG mind is 20 :shock:

untitled.jpg

a noobie reefer...