Acclimatise corals?

• SRC Member
all soft corals (: mush,zoas,leather.

I don't normally acclimatize corals. Just float the plastic bag in my tank for 5-10min, open up and do a FW dip for 5min then put into my tank.

For some corals which I have always had problems keeping, I will acclimatize them and skip the FW dip.

I don't normally acclimatize corals. Just float the plastic bag in my tank for 5-10min, open up and do a FW dip for 5min then put into my tank.

For some corals which I have always had problems keeping, I will acclimatize them and skip the FW dip.

thank you bro comy.

just asking, is it okay to test my s.g. when my sand bed is disturbed? there's sand particles floating ard.

• SRC Member
thank you bro comy.

just asking, is it okay to test my s.g. when my sand bed is disturbed? there's sand particles floating ard.

Nope no need. Why would your salinity fluctuate when sand bed is disturbed? Unless you have undissolved salt crystals buried in your sandbed, tt shouldn't happen.

Nope no need. Why would your salinity fluctuate when sand bed is disturbed? Unless you have undissolved salt crystals buried in your sandbed, tt shouldn't happen.

cos i tot the sand particles might affect my hydrometer. lol.

btw, i saw a long arm sticking out of one of my LR. think it looks like a brittle star's arm. read somewhere tt there are predatory-type brittle stars, is it true and is it okay to leave it in my LR?

• Senior Reefer

could also be a long bristle worm or eunicid worm. best is to remove, take a picture, and put here for identification. then decide on your next course of action :) don't kill things ignorantly. sometimes get quite annoyed when i see people freak out over small bristle worms and immediately send them to worm heaven. they are good to some extent...

so do try to remove it and a picture will be great! hehe ;)

• SRC Member

I hope you got through with proper cycling of your tank before buying these livestocks... -_-

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

could also be a long bristle worm or eunicid worm. best is to remove, take a picture, and put here for identification. then decide on your next course of action :) don't kill things ignorantly. sometimes get quite annoyed when i see people freak out over small bristle worms and immediately send them to worm heaven. they are good to some extent...

so do try to remove it and a picture will be great! hehe ;)

oh i saw last night it had erm, two arms sticking out, so my guess its a brittle star. i'll try to take pics of it again and post it up. (:

• SRC Member
oh i saw last night it had erm, two arms sticking out, so my guess its a brittle star. i'll try to take pics of it again and post it up. (:

v. small fine arms that looked like fine thread with black and white markings? or some other markings? I have quite a few of these brittle stars hiding in my zoas. They are fine. Help to eat some of my detritus actually.

I hope you got through with proper cycling of your tank before buying these livestocks... -_-

yupp i cycled my tank alrdy - if i did everything correctly. i put in a lil fish food and let it decompose..i cant rmb (~1-2 weeks?) how long later i finally tested for a bit of nitrates. at first when i merely added in cured LR, i couldn't test for anything at all. and i guess my fish has been quite happy, shall keep my fingers crossed.

v. small fine arms that looked like fine thread with black and white markings? or some other markings? I have quite a few of these brittle stars hiding in my zoas. They are fine. Help to eat some of my detritus actually.

oh i saw a small black-white marking brittle star lying dead beside my zoa last night. however the one in my LR doesn't has black white marking, the arms seems a lil thicker but i think the markings are those brownish type, so i tot its just another species of brittle star. i think i will try to capture it if i see it sticking out again. (:

Post your tank in the nano section!

lol..i think it still looks really bad looking now, i think my creativity has probs, my scaping is not good, and i realise its not easy to get small corals to mount on my LR, went to Iwarna but manage to get mushrooms but on a large slab of LR, my tank alrdy has 2 pieces of LR, so i'm kinda confused now as to how and what to do to get the correct "size" corals to mount properly - don't know if u know wad i mean. hahas.

• SRC Member
lol..i think it still looks really bad looking now, i think my creativity has probs, my scaping is not good, and i realise its not easy to get small corals to mount on my LR, went to Iwarna but manage to get mushrooms but on a large slab of LR, my tank alrdy has 2 pieces of LR, so i'm kinda confused now as to how and what to do to get the correct "size" corals to mount properly - don't know if u know wad i mean. hahas.

yeah I know... whenever I buy corals I also have to consider where to put them. Its never "biggest is more value for money".

It would be better if you buy frags for your tank. :) This way easier to place them.

yeah I know... whenever I buy corals I also have to consider where to put them. Its never "biggest is more value for money".

It would be better if you buy frags for your tank. :) This way easier to place them.

yea lorr.(:

by frags u mean = isolated/singled out corals is it?

where to get? usually from fellow reefers right?

• SRC Member
yea lorr.(:

by frags u mean = isolated/singled out corals is it?

where to get? usually from fellow reefers right?

Usually fellow reefers. :eyebrow:

Frags does not mean singled out or isolated corals. It means coral polyps that have been cut out from a larger colony, usually attached to a small piece of live rock.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Usually fellow reefers. :eyebrow:

Frags does not mean singled out or isolated corals. It means coral polyps that have been cut out from a larger colony, usually attached to a small piece of live rock.

owhh, okayy. the frags are usually sold or given?

• SRC Member
owhh, okayy. the frags are usually sold or given?

Frags usually sold. Unless u got frags that they want and they are willing to trade. Given is only when u know them very well and they are willing to give u lor.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.