Anyone uses fibreglass rocks for rockscaping?

Ketchup

• SRC Member

Hi fellow reef kakis... :P

Has anyone has fibreglass rocks for rockscaping? I seen it and think it looks great and have nice structure and it's relatively much lighter than Live rock. Also, it does not have all the parasites of liverocks.. Hence i am comtemplating using it fully or maybe partially for our new 4 ft tank. Anyone has knowledge of this, please kindly share :P

Cheers! :paiseh:

• SRC Member

They look great and can even be DIY-ed to fit your tank the way you like it. Downside is it's not porous so it's more or less useless in helping the de-nitrification process. Ready-mades can be purchased from a number of our sponsors.

If you intend to use for scaping, then they'll do great. But you'll need something else to house your beneficial bacteria.

Hi fellow reef kakis... :P

Has anyone has fibreglass rocks for rockscaping? I seen it and think it looks great and have nice structure and it's relatively much lighter than Live rock. Also, it does not have all the parasites of liverocks.. Hence i am comtemplating using it fully or maybe partially for our new 4 ft tank. Anyone has knowledge of this, please kindly share :P

Cheers! :paiseh:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member
They look great and can even be DIY-ed to fit your tank the way you like it. Downside is it's not porous so it's more or less useless in helping the de-nitrification process. Ready-mades can be purchased from a number of our sponsors.

If you intend to use for scaping, then they'll do great. But you'll need something else to house your beneficial bacteria.

Hi iskay...

Thanks for your response... If assuming that i have say 4 inches of live sand plus a small refrigum (with some live rocks) then i should be ok as the livesand and the live rocks (in refrigum and maybe a couple of pieces in main tank) will help in housing the bacteria?

• SRC Member
Hi iskay...

Thanks for your response... If assuming that i have say 4 inches of live sand plus a small refrigum (with some live rocks) then i should be ok as the livesand and the live rocks (in refrigum and maybe a couple of pieces in main tank) will help in housing the bacteria?

If you want to keep DSB, recommend to keep at least 5-6" of live sand, as fine grade as possible would be good. If you wanna keep a small refugium / sump (dunno how small you mean) why not look at biohome? Small, compact and extremely porous. Someone doing a mass sale in the forum now.