6x2.5x2.5 Reef Tank Plans/Progress

AlfaRomeo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Newbie Guy, it cost a ton of $$ but i guess its better to start things with the best i can afford rather than waste $$ for upgrading later on when the equipment is not up to scratch for the job?

not rich lah, there is also Credit card mahhh... just sign and pray lor.. hehe

got to eat grass for the nest 3 years i think...

• SRC Member
Forgot a few details for the tank:

110kg of LR has been purchased and now currently curing in CF :-) I was kanchiong lah so bought the LR first.. got very big pieces of LR since i happen to be there when they were receiving the LR from their supplier.

Will use C0 sand as a sand bed... how many kg would u guys guess i will need?

110 kg of CF live rock! :shock::shock: Must have cost a bomb, and more :o ! Nice LR but a bit beyond my comfort zone.....CF accept credit card? ;)

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member
Marinebetta, Yup... CF accept Credit Card.. thank god... i was complaining to my wife that i never envisioned the day i am buying 1000s dollars of rock!

Alright! Never knew they did.....now I can look at a few thing in a different light :lol: Now to get Gilbert to join those 24-36 month 0% interest free schemes :lol::lol:

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

Blenny, Gilbert charges the same $16/kg for the LRs. the rocks are beautiful , full of Coraline and stuff and the individual pieces are huge compared to the ones at LFS. He was helping me arrange the LR so that i have a better idea on how to landscape the tank.. all i can say that he is a perfectionist.. we spent a few hours just rearranging the rocks to get the best landscape... now i only wish that i will remember how it goes together when i get them back home... hehehe

• SRC Member
Blenny, Gilbert charges the same $16/kg for the LRs. the rocks are beautiful , full of Coraline and stuff and the individual pieces are huge compared to the ones at LFS. He was helping me arrange the LR so that i have a better idea on how to landscape the tank.. all i can say that he is a perfectionist.. we spent a few hours just rearranging the rocks to get the best landscape... now i only wish that i will remember how it goes together when i get them back home... hehehe

did you see john there? I think he is better in the rock scaping

• SRC Member
Reefer Guy, thanks for tha advise.. have decided to make do with a 2-3 inche sand bed due to the potential of a DSB to crash after some time..Decided to play it safe and go for a normal sand bed in main tank and DSb in the refuge so that IF it crashes, the Sump can be disconnected and the DSb resetted so to speak..

bro, used to have 2-3 inches of sand in my main tank as well, but a well experienced reefer adviced me to make it at least 5-6 inches of deep sand bed, reason is at the first few years, your tank will be able to maintain itself but as the years go on, you will see that your tank will decrease in sustainance of ur ls... just sharing an advise from the seniors...

• SRC Member

reefer guy, thanks for the advice and will seriously consider making it a thinker bed but kind scary with all the stories in RC about DSB crashing after about 2 years... including Dr Ron himself. in my reasoning, if Dr Ron cannnot successfully keep a DSB then what are the chances of me keeping it successfully? hmmmmm

• SRC Member
reefer guy, thanks for the advice and will seriously consider making it a thinker bed but kind scary with all the stories in RC about DSB crashing after about 2 years... including Dr Ron himself. in my reasoning, if Dr Ron cannnot successfully keep a DSB then what are the chances of me keeping it successfully? hmmmmm

he is the guy who introduced DSB to reefkeepers. <_< besides, there are plenty of reefers who had their DSB functioning for many years.

• SRC Member

Sharkbait, yup.. he is the guy who sort of 'invented' the DSB concept. or maybe i am wrong? hehe

there are lots of reefers who manage to keep the DSB going so far but dunno if it will last or is it doomed to fail eventually...

For a fairly large tank, i think it is wiser to be safe than sorry rite? will supplement the filtration with Skimmer/LR/DSB in refuge etc etc and hope for the best i guess....

There are more and more reefers in US that is going for bare bottom tanks nowadays and i am wondering if that will be the latest trend over here too... eventually.

• SRC Member
Sharkbait, yup.. he is the guy who sort of 'invented' the DSB concept. or maybe i am wrong? hehe

there are lots of reefers who manage to keep the DSB going so far but dunno if it will last or is it doomed to fail eventually...

For a fairly large tank, i think it is wiser to be safe than sorry rite? will supplement the filtration with Skimmer/LR/DSB in refuge etc etc and hope for the best i guess....

There are more and more reefers in US that is going for bare bottom tanks nowadays and i am wondering if that will be the latest trend over here too... eventually.

i see you going for DSB in the refuge.thats one way too..