6x2.5x2.5 Reef Tank Plans/Progress

AlfaRomeo

Any way to contact them ah? wanna reserve the AT if it is still not taken.. hehehehe.... but i better pray hard that it will not succumb to ICH or other diseases....dunt wannt lose another tang... sob sob

muahaha... its like almost 90% At will get ich once intro into tank

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Just 'upgraded' my return piping which is Sump-MD55-Chiller-Main Tank from 16mm to 25mm. Very visible increase in flowrate noticed.

Hope it solves the condensation Issue I have and also increase the efiiciency of the chiller.

Will keep those interested posted :)

• SRC Member

OK, status report on the upgraded piping...

Condensation has stopped forming for the moment (past 6 hours) and chiller is more effecient now. It takes about 1 hr 10 mins to cool 0.8 Degrees with 850W of Lights, used to be 1.5 hrs :) :)

• SRC Member

Depends on the chiller I guess, for my particular chiller, the optimum flowrate is about 3000L/hr. With my 16mm piping, the pump was facing a lot of resistance to push the water thru and i guess the flowrate was too slow for the chiller to work effeciently thus the condensing problem and also long run times.

Gotta thank Maxima and Weileong for all the advice and help with regards to the chiller.

OK, status report on the upgraded piping...

Condensation has stopped forming for the moment (past 6 hours) and chiller is more effecient now. It takes about 1 hr 10 mins to cool 0.8 Degrees with 850W of Lights, used to be 1.5 hrs :) :)

Wow that is a lot of improvement by just changing the piping! Thanks for the info.

• SRC Member

SPS_dude, thanks for the compliment. got a long way to go actually... now trying to make my reef 1/4 as nice as the senior reefers and those more experienced than me (which ios practically everyone!) hehehe

First must aim to be 1/4 as nice. once that it achieved, will strive for the nect level... 1/2 as nice... hehehe

• SRC Member

Bro,

I also change my piping to my chiller. Running 20mm PVC pipe from sump using Eheim 1262 and return directly to tank. Wah effect very good ah. No more condensation (1 week already). Cooling time reduce from 1hr 15 min to 40 min with lights on (860W) for 0.8 degrees.

• SRC Member

Thanks for the chiller info. Looks like I shall upgrade my chiller pump and the increase in efficiency will offset the higher wattage for the pump. ;)

Thinking of using MD55 to replace the current eheim 1260. overkill? or the OceanFree 9000 will do?

Yours is 1/3hp artica? I think the MD55 will be overkilled somemore your chiller is just besides your tank.

Alfa's chiller is the 1/2hp commerical chiller and has higher cooling power than yours and I understand it is high up in his balcony so that is why he needs to use the MD55.

• SRC Member
bubble_gum, what your new tank gonna be like? size? flowrate?

If u have the time, look thru my thread.... lots of mistake was found and corrected. hope it help you avoid lots of the headaches I went thru...

still havent decided bro... after seeing sister AP's tank i feel like saving up and getting a size as big as hers.... ;) she told me that we all live once, go for the kill :P

hmm i think my hall can fit in a tank size twice as hers :lol: muahahahaha

actually my initial plan was gg to do a 2.5ft cube :) still in planning process. :whistle

• SRC Member
Yours is 1/3hp artica? I think the MD55 will be overkilled somemore your chiller is just besides your tank.

Alfa's chiller is the 1/2hp commerical chiller and has higher cooling power than yours and I understand it is high up in his balcony so that is why he needs to use the MD55.

Yup, the 1/3hp. The recommended flow is 2000-3000l/hr according to the manufacturer...and my connection is from sump to chiller to main tank, with chiller at 1.5ft height and main tank return at abt 2m height....so if I use other pump, the head loss will be quite a lot, consider the flow thru the coil, etc.

hmmm...still thinking and considering. :P

• SRC Member

Bubble_gum, I am using a wooden stand... dunt wanna risk my stand rusting in a few years... make sure u dunt skimp on the stand.

My tank and stand was done by Han Teck and am totally satisfied with the workmanship. Others might be cheaper but u get what u paid for

• SRC Member
Bubble_gum, I am using a wooden stand... dunt wanna risk my stand rusting in a few years... make sure u dunt skimp on the stand.

My tank and stand was done by Han Teck and am totally satisfied with the workmanship. Others might be cheaper but u get what u paid for

that i totally agree... thats y im gg real slow on the setup so i save enough/more and really do my homework.... i really feel the pinch when im using my hard saved sch pocketmoney ;) btw bro whats the wattage on ur chiller? :thanks: