6x2.5x2.5 Reef Tank Plans/Progress

AlfaRomeo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Still breaking in now... Running about 10 hours and can see the foam starting to form now.. Should be skimming pretty soon now.

My Reef tank has been without a skimmer for the last 24 hours so quite worried now... Hope the skimmer breaks in soon enuff..

• SRC Member
Still breaking in now... Running about 10 hours and can see the foam starting to form now.. Should be skimming pretty soon now.

My Reef tank has been without a skimmer for the last 24 hours so quite worried now... Hope the skimmer breaks in soon enuff..

just 24hr only.. wont kill.. and wont do that much damage without skimming for only 24hr..

I have ever try without skimming for near a week when I install my skimmer also no problem..

• SRC Member

just 24hr only.. wont kill.. and wont do that much damage without skimming for only 24hr..

I have ever try without skimming for near a week when I install my skimmer also no problem..

I hope so ... but the condition of my tank is not as good as yours mah... now got diatom/cyano due to overdosing....

Really hope that the skimmer will break in soon...

Yup, the skimmer was leaking at the base from a 1 inch gap.. Weisoon rushed over and helped me seal it up with acrylic glue and it is as good as new now... cannot even see the seal..

Thanks to Weisoon again! :)

Wow! Weisoon the handyman!! :lol:

Actually very nice of him to rush over to helpyou with the leak! :bow:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
so has the AH-64D... didnt know it has stealth capabilities... must be part of the Block IV upgrades that is rumoured after the Block III upgrades slated in 2008.

OT:

Maybe the shealth capabilities of the AH-64D is due to it's ECM.

• SRC Member

Huiwen, main reason for me to change from beckett to needlewheel is the power consumption and also noise from the pumps.

I have noticed that running the needlewheel is very very quiet when compared to the mx70 pump being used for the beckett.

I was also very interested in the much touted efficiency of the deltec needlewheel.. :) so i guess no other way to experience it other than running it myself.

Hmm....I see...

Is comsumption of the Iwaki very high ? still remember seeing your happy expression when you told me that you've got your Iwaki :)

So how much is the Deltec ? if its more ex than i think it will eventually pay for itself with a lower power comsumption :)

Cheers,

P/S: see you tonight :)

• SRC Member

Bro,

Was using an Iwaki mx70 which is about rated at about 250w (according to the label)...

The Deltec is about $2k+ so if I want to think about slowly paying for itself... will take very very very long I think.. didnt bother with calculating how long it will break even.

Main reason for the move is quieter operation and more 'efficient' than my old 648 beckett.

Now my living room is much more quieter when compared to running the mx70 :)

Hopefully the Deltec which is rated for 3000L/hr flowrate will help to improve my water condition due to its legendary ability... Have yet to find that out for myself. Hopefully it doesnt dissapoint...

• SRC Member

The Main Difference between Beckett and Needlewheel:

Beckett:

High power consumption - Pressure rated pump preferred

High flow rates thru skimmer with more turnover but lesser efficiency per pass thru the skimmer due to less dwell time

Less Expensive relatively

Needlewheel:

Low power consumption

Low flow rates thru skimmer with less turnover/hour but more efficient per pass thru the skimmer cos of increased dwell time

More $

So basically, 2 different school of thoughts for the skimmers but both effective in aidding the reefer with very very clean water quality.

Just have a look at the beckett-powered reefs of AT/Scarab/DB/Danano/Weileong/Roidan/Hon etc etc .... POWER!!! absolutely amazing reefs which I can only dream of having... sob sob