Nitrate removal project.

nichjon

I've used the de-nitrate in my canister filter for about 2 months already but Nitrates have not dropped much, then i read about it more and saw that if the flow rate is too fast, the de-Nitrate will only work solely as an aerobic filter, but with flow rates of less than 200 litres/hr, it will function both as an aerobic and anaerobic denitrifying filter.

So what i did was i removed the de-Nitrate from my canister and replaced it with Matrix instead, i then got hold of a small Skimz FR and filled it with the de-Nitrate and added in a simple valve at the inlet to control the flow of water that's going into the FR which was T-ed off from my filter's outlet. My Skimz FR now contains 1.25 litres of de-Nitrate with a controlled flow of only about 20ml/sec which equates to about 72 litres/hr as recommended by Seachem.

I just tested the water from both my tank and the outlet from my FR with the de-Nitrate and both results showed about the same reading of about 40-80ppm as in the attached below. I will post more results very shortly to see if my little project works, so keep a lookout for more updates. I've also included links below about this product.

Happy Reefing.

Seachem Website document about de-nitrate - http://www.seachem.com/Library/SeaGrams/denitrate.pdf

post-7143-1264124541.jpg

Custom 2ft cube tank with 10mm glass.

im using denitrate too :D . but my nitrate level only less than 5. my father said that u sholdnt read it that way u should put the test tube over the colour . if u can see the colour, its not the measurement but if u cant see it either than its also not. try to get see the outline of the patch of colour.

yup that's what i usually do also, but i placed it like this to show that the initial test results were the same with the white background. I will post more pics of further tests in the weeks to come. Thanks for your tip anyway.

happy reefing.

• SRC Member
yup that's what i usually do also, but i placed it like this to show that the initial test results were the same with the white background. I will post more pics of further tests in the weeks to come. Thanks for your tip anyway.

happy reefing.

try purigen by seachem.

l7304smr.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

nitrate seems to be dropping slowly, my previous test was about 80 for my tank, so it's already a considerable drop since then to 20 and 0, anyway i hope that it will drop further. Will test and update again very soon.

If any other reefers out there trying this out, i hope that you will upload your projects and results here so that we can do comparisons for the benefit for all reefers here.

Happy New Year to all.