My Second Reef Tank!!!

reaper78

First 'wave' of new tank syndrome. Unsightly algae growth, time to change the rowa media. Currently running on 1 return ehiem 1264 pump, due to chiller not installed. Perhaps increasing the flow rate in the tank will help to reduce dead spot but facing rapid water evaporation, so too much heat generated by wavemaker/powerhead will increase it even more....

post-15684-1269257354_thumb.jpg

post-15684-1269257364_thumb.jpg

Tank Size: 3 x 3 x 2 with 3.5ft cabinet

the problem is with my return pump lah...

oh paiseh :whistle ....hehe........What return pump u on? u try to reduce the nozzle size of the return outlet? Not sure if it helps though...

• SRC Member

slow and steady chris.

keep it there. you are sure one of the more patience reefer i knew

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

Was pondering if i should place it in the sump or overflow compartment??

Finally decided on the latter as i think the flow rate be much higher. The 'net' of bio pellet is located at the second compartment....

i think the bio pellets is in the wrong place ... the flow rate is way too high

Humble tank :

Size: 4x2.5x2 ft - Display 

Equipment :

Return 1 : Ecotech marine L1

Return 2 : Ecotech marine M1

CR : Skimz CM122 - Caribsea extra course media with Grotech magnesium

Light : ATI 8x54W

i think the bio pellets is in the wrong place ... the flow rate is way too high

Hi bro, how's things?

Thanks for highlighting. I experimenting with the placement of the biopellets as i thought by placing in that particular compartment, the chances of accumulated detritus be unlikely and still serve as a 'food' source for the bacteria while the biohome are place in the last compartment, (Chamber when the return pumps are), slowly flow rate for the bacteria to host.

Anyway this is just my theory, i might be wrong...still learning along the way. :paiseh:

slow and steady chris.

keep it there. you are sure one of the more patience reefer i knew

Hi bro, how's the exams?? Taking it slowly lor, main aim is to cultivate the bacteria and upz the water parameters.... :mellow:

• SRC Member
Hi bro, how's the exams?? Taking it slowly lor, main aim is to cultivate the bacteria and upz the water parameters.... :mellow:

just submited my 200 over pages report draft this morning. spent many sleepless night on it and happy its somehow came to an end.

for as exam.... its around the corner :cry:

and fear not for the black face zoa. if we are talking about the same 1, i have some to spare you if yours didnt make it.

yeah cultivating bacteria can be regarded as main objective for you now. way to go bro, you are really taking things slowly which is very good.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

bro got coral rx those? alot of critters :pirate:

Hi bro,

Never coral rx. just dip 2-3 mins with fresh (de-chloride) nia..lots of pest 'float' out frm there. Maybe quality of water lousy...too exp corals cannot try yet...hehe

just submited my 200 over pages report draft this morning. spent many sleepless night on it and happy its somehow came to an end.

for as exam.... its around the corner :cry:

and fear not for the black face zoa. if we are talking about the same 1, i have some to spare you if yours didnt make it.

yeah cultivating bacteria can be regarded as main objective for you now. way to go bro, you are really taking things slowly which is very good.

Wah...200 over pages? no joke man....think i probably go back to school soon...part-time....Thanks bro for the offer, See hw it goes lah, but the good news is that, some xenia (i think) is starting to open up on the same branch of black-face zoas.

After ur exams are over, think we should call alex out for some R&R session....haha....

And pass by C328 just now, so decided to get 1 more kg of biohome. Right now in the sump tank, 3kg of biohome plus & 2kg of biohome. (should have gotten all 5kg of biohome plus initially at a lower price but...)

does these things work for you?

I tried biohomme plus but totally doubt that they help in colonizing bacteria.

either that or could be the way I housed (in a cannister) them was wrong.

liverocks would be a better bet, i think.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Harlow boss,

Too early to tell, at least for now As i using majority artifical rocks, hence need to use more porous stuff like biohome for the bacteria to colonize.

Several stuff i doing now, for instance trying to cultivate bacteria is my first attempt. My previous tank i did not perform any of these.....

• SRC Member
Wah...200 over pages? no joke man....think i probably go back to school soon...part-time....Thanks bro for the offer, See hw it goes lah, but the good news is that, some xenia (i think) is starting to open up on the same branch of black-face zoas.

After ur exams are over, think we should call alex out for some R&R session....haha....

yeah, lets call up jimmy too since he was at suntec in the past.

• SRC Member

for sure, it will help to a certain extend. by theory on cell biology, the more surface area there are, the more bacteria making homes on it. the more rougher and porus the material is, the better it will be.

but good bac or bad bac can both colonize it. so how to do selective culturing? that will boils down to ur tank stability and what species of bac u add.

• SRC Member

initially i housed my biohomme in the 2nd compartment of my cannister, but not that effective till i housed them in the 3rd compartment....the plus point is, i dun c any brown algae growing on my rocks and sand bed anymore....except for green algae on the back of my tank....

i think for biohomme, u need to place them in low flow area...

l7304smr.jpg

for sure, it will help to a certain extend. by theory on cell biology, the more surface area there are, the more bacteria making homes on it. the more rougher and porus the material is, the better it will be.

but good bac or bad bac can both colonize it. so how to do selective culturing? that will boils down to ur tank stability and what species of bac u add.

it might help a little but not much. My thesis is based on ORP readings - not sure if this is a true reflection.

I dumped 800g of biohommes in my tank, dosed 3 vials of biodigest over three weeks and there is no improvement on the ORP reading.

I have since removed the biohommes, reverted back to using LR and the ORP shoots from 260 - 320 in 2 days with 1 vila of biodigest added.

I think they might help minimally but you cannot rely on them and do away with LR.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member
it might help a little but not much. My thesis is based on ORP readings - not sure if this is a true reflection.

I dumped 800g of biohommes in my tank, dosed 3 vials of biodigest over three weeks and there is no improvement on the ORP reading.

I have since removed the biohommes, reverted back to using LR and the ORP shoots from 260 - 320 in 2 days with 1 vila of biodigest added.

I think they might help minimally but you cannot rely on them and do away with LR.

well, thats thesis can be accurate. and u are right, we cannot rely on singly.

Yap but i think jimmy is probably busy with his 'new' project?? hehe.....

what pproject? :mellow: