My Second Reef Tank!!!

reaper78

Bro, time to take photo and show off your Anthias eyebrow.gifeyebrow.gif

haha.....wanted to but one of the wrasse went into the overflow compartment, cant seem to find it...

Now i fear it might die and further contaminate the water..

Tank Size: 3 x 3 x 2 with 3.5ft cabinet

haha.....wanted to but one of the wrasse went into the overflow compartment, cant seem to find it...

Now i fear it might die and further contaminate the water..

Now the unthinkable has happened, the wrasse went into the skimmer's pump inlet and kena skim :unsure: .......

Causing one of the air outlet at the base plate to be jammed (U can see the 'skeleton' left). Luckily, pump still skimming as usual, but efficiency affected.

post-15684-12721213339349_thumb.jpg

Now the unthinkable has happened, the wrasse went into the skimmer's pump inlet and kena skim :unsure: .......

Causing one of the air outlet at the base plate to be jammed (U can see the 'skeleton' left). Luckily, pump still skimming as usual, but efficiency affected.

What a day...sigh...

Less than 24hrs, 5 dead fishes..... :eyeblur:

Hopefully no more ...

What a day...sigh...

Less than 24hrs, 5 dead fishes..... :eyeblur:

Hopefully no more ...

......oh no........ how did these 5 die?

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

......oh no........ how did these 5 die?

I guess could be link to the wrasse that was skimmed into the skimmer.........

Rest of the fishes not doing well too......perhaps by tmr no more fishes?? :eyeblur:

Abit lost hope liao.....perhaps stop stocking fishes for the next few mths.....let it stable down first...

Oh dear! :blink:

Maybe you should put something to block your overflow to prevent more casualties..

Cant block it, cos there is this 'opening' at the bottom of the overflow 'cover'...hard to explain.

Think i need to get bigger size fishes next time when i ready to buy....

Hi reaper, i feel your loss. I am not sure how big ur fishes are and whether u took them out from the tank once u spotted them dead. My recommendation is do at least 30% water change.

I lost many fishes all at once as well, and water change is needed to maintain the tank perimeters as contamination is a definate.

Reef
Tank: 48"x 24"x 24"
Lightings: Maxspect Razor 120w x 2

Skimmer: Skimz Kone SK1
Chiller: Hailea 1/4 hp w/ Aquabee 3000
Wave Maker: Tunze 6065 x 2
Return Pump: Eheim 1262
Uv: Coralife 9 watt Uv w/ Eheim compact 1000

Fowlr
Tank: 36"x 21"x 16"
Lightings: Beamswork Ultrabright Led x 2
Skimmer: Skimz SM161
Wave Maker: Maxijet 1200
Return Pump: Eheim Compact 2000

• SRC Member

oh dear.. so sorry to hear about that reaper.. if it's a hole at the bottom of your overflow.. perhaps you could attach a pipe to it and then cover the opening with a sponge to prevent fish from being sucked in? Or could you place a sponge over it right now? :P Or some netting?

pat pat.

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

Hi reaper, i feel your loss. I am not sure how big ur fishes are and whether u took them out from the tank once u spotted them dead. My recommendation is do at least 30% water change.

I lost many fishes all at once as well, and water change is needed to maintain the tank perimeters as contamination is a definate.

Hi Bro,

I suspect ammonia/nitrite should be rocket hard, fishes that are still alive have white spots....Netted out all the dead fishes...one by one.....

Yap, just did a wc, tmr i continue again plus add bacteria..... :thanks:

oh dear.. so sorry to hear about that reaper.. if it's a hole at the bottom of your overflow.. perhaps you could attach a pipe to it and then cover the opening with a sponge to prevent fish from being sucked in? Or could you place a sponge over it right now? :P Or some netting?

pat pat.

Harlow,

ermm....cant....i think is the design of the overflow. Happens to new fishes when intro into the tank as they are nervous, anyhow find a hole and hide lor. Yap i have some sponge and cotton to cover at the next exit of the overflow, just that when i trying to rescue the wrasse, slipped and ended straight into the sump tank lor....

I think i just broke my record, 5 dead fishes in less than 24hrs...... :mellow:

• SRC Member

if no fish die during cycling, then its not cycling already.

dun take it too hard.

things will get better.

better, i think you have those underflow and overflow right?

the fishes go by underflow right?

if so, i have got a way to solve it. i used to have that problem too. perhaps a picture will help me see for you.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

if no fish die during cycling, then its not cycling already.

dun take it too hard.

things will get better.

better, i think you have those underflow and overflow right?

the fishes go by underflow right?

if so, i have got a way to solve it. i used to have that problem too. perhaps a picture will help me see for you.

Hi Bro,

Nah.....just bad luck, the cleaning wrasse kena grind by the skimmer.

Anyway the first pics shows the underflow structure, second pics is where the actual underflow 'flows' into & the 3rd pics hows where the water exit from the underflow.....

post-15684-12722077018221_thumb.jpg

post-15684-12722077139494_thumb.jpg

post-15684-12722077260571_thumb.jpg

Hi Bro,

I suspect ammonia/nitrite should be rocket hard, fishes that are still alive have white spots....Netted out all the dead fishes...one by one.....

Yap, just did a wc, tmr i continue again plus add bacteria..... :thanks:

We went through exactly the same thing. My fishes had white spots too and died slowly. Managed to dig out most of the dead fishes except one 3 inch tang. Another reefer suggested adding in cleaning crew like boxer shrimp or reefsafe crabs to eat up the dead fishes behind the rocks if there's any.

Continue to monitor the situation as the water condition will deterioriate further.

However, one good thing is that your corals wun be affected.

Reef
Tank: 48"x 24"x 24"
Lightings: Maxspect Razor 120w x 2

Skimmer: Skimz Kone SK1
Chiller: Hailea 1/4 hp w/ Aquabee 3000
Wave Maker: Tunze 6065 x 2
Return Pump: Eheim 1262
Uv: Coralife 9 watt Uv w/ Eheim compact 1000

Fowlr
Tank: 36"x 21"x 16"
Lightings: Beamswork Ultrabright Led x 2
Skimmer: Skimz SM161
Wave Maker: Maxijet 1200
Return Pump: Eheim Compact 2000

• SRC Supporter

wah, sorry to hear tat bro, 5 in 24hrs. If have white spots, u want some octozin? I have some to spare u cause i also spotted some at the blotchy anthias... n i cant find him since after dinner.... hope it's hiding n nothing else....

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

Nah.....just bad luck, the cleaning wrasse kena grind by the skimmer.

Anyway the first pics shows the underflow structure, second pics is where the actual underflow 'flows' into & the 3rd pics hows where the water exit from the underflow.....

i face the same problem with underflow like yours but i solved it. btw, underflow is very useful.

most small fish would like to go there. you will continue to face this problem with small fish in the future.

get overflow comb and glue it there.

next time you can come to my house and take a look at it.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Supporter

i face the same problem with underflow like yours but i solved it. btw, unferflow is very useful.

most small fish would like to go there. you will continue to face this problem with small fish in the future.

get overflow comb and glue it there.

next time you can come to my and take a look at it.

bro, your got overflow comb ah??? :P hahahaha.... i know wat u mean, u not enough sleep issit?

• SRC Member

bro, your got overflow comb ah??? :P hahahaha.... i know wat u mean, u not enough sleep issit?

LOLOLOLOL

well... wwas distracted :P i can't believe i said that.

OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PUI PUI PUI!!!!!!!! EDITED!!!!!

JIMMY!!! EDIT UR QUOTE TOO!!! PLEASE! IT SOUND SO WRONG :lol:

• SRC Member

omg i just burst out laughing when I saw your post Law! rofl!

:paiseh: was typing with one hand and one hand with my notes. :(

• SRC Supporter

LOLOLOLOL

well... wwas distracted :P i can't believe i said that.

OH MY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PUI PUI PUI!!!!!!!! EDITED!!!!!

JIMMY!!! EDIT UR QUOTE TOO!!! PLEASE! IT SOUND SO WRONG :lol:

hahahaha... ok, i chg liao, but u nv chg my quote in your reply, so ppl still can have a laugh at it... hahaha

aiya, let Chris laugh abit ma, he lost 5 fishes in 24 hrs very sad liao, your joke shld help abit... kekeke

• SRC Member

ahhhhhh..... i will tell him next time personally. or you can do that too.

ok done. changed! ok no more src for tonight.

back to study!!!.

dun worry chris!! like i said, if nothing died., then its not cycling already!

We went through exactly the same thing. My fishes had white spots too and died slowly. Managed to dig out most of the dead fishes except one 3 inch tang. Another reefer suggested adding in cleaning crew like boxer shrimp or reefsafe crabs to eat up the dead fishes behind the rocks if there's any.

Continue to monitor the situation as the water condition will deterioriate further.

However, one good thing is that your corals wun be affected.

Hi Bro,

Yap i have cleaner/peppermint shrimps n sometimes shrimps give hints like digging intensivly on something And luckily the rocks are stacked vertically up, leaving lots of flow in btwn and ease of scopping up of the dead fishes....

hahahaha... ok, i chg liao, but u nv chg my quote in your reply, so ppl still can have a laugh at it... hahaha

aiya, let Chris laugh abit ma, he lost 5 fishes in 24 hrs very sad liao, your joke shld help abit... kekeke

haha...2 more dead anthias this morning. Change another 5% water again and add bacteria....btwn the octozin i think no need at the moment, the issue i guess should be with the stability of the water, once the water settle down, should be okay liao..

ahhhhhh..... i will tell him next time personally. or you can do that too.

ok done. changed! ok no more src for tonight.

back to study!!!.

dun worry chris!! like i said, if nothing died., then its not cycling already!

wah...better go back to studies bro....hehe....