need help to ID algae

Guys, i've been having this algae for sometime and its getting worse recently. The red algae formed on the sandbed goes away at night and i've tried stirring the sand to disperse them but it didnt help, in fact it worsen. As for the red+green algae on the LR i've tried pulling them out and it'll still come back. I've added anti phosp and improved the flow of the water and it still didnt help. hope that i can seek help to ID what algae they are and find solutions here.

Here's some of the pictures, hope it'll help..

post-15087-1265275833_thumb.jpg

post-15087-1265276054_thumb.jpg

post-15087-1265277513_thumb.jpg

post-15087-1265277588_thumb.jpg

post-15087-1265277628_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

If yours is a new tank, it's case by silicate residue in the tank, sand, etc... It will eventually wear off after the silicates are exhausted given that no new silicates is introduced.

If it's an old tank, then think about that have you changed recently that might have introduced new source of silicates for the cyano to thrive on. Some possibilities, tap water, new sand, rocks, equipment, food, etc...

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

If yours is a new tank, it's case by silicate residue in the tank, sand, etc... It will eventually wear off after the silicates are exhausted given that no new silicates is introduced.

If it's an old tank, then think about that have you changed recently that might have introduced new source of silicates for the cyano to thrive on. Some possibilities, tap water, new sand, rocks, equipment, food, etc...

actually my tank had been running for more than 1year, or maybe 2years and i didnt think i changed anything recently. only reason i could think of is because my tank is near my window and sometimes the curtain is opened and sunlight will shine onto the tank. and i've been using treated tap water for quite sometime already.

• SRC Member

Your theory maybe right. You can try not letting sunlight into your tank and observe.

Another nutrient it to watch out for is Phosphates. Cyano needs it to grow.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

dun use treated tap water....the dechlorinator only get rid of chlorine and chloride, but not the phosphate-silicate found in tap water and our tap water has iron content inside due to piping. Though it is too little to harm us, but it is enough to feed these algae.

the solution is to change water using DI and by siphoning yr sand bed...over a period of 3 days.

as for the green alage, you can get sea hare to do the job...but once job is done you have to get rid of it either by giving it away or letting it go in the open waters.

l7304smr.jpg