MaxSpect LED 110W - G2

jackywongto

Received my light set today. Thought I would just share some pics for reefers who are keen on this light and pls feel free to post your queries if you have any.

My posts will be based on unstructured thoughts - just gonna pen whatever that pops into my mind so please bear with me if I am a little jumpy.

Physically the G2 and G1 looks identical and just a couple of cosmetic changes:

MaxSpect label

G1 Old Label

G2 New label:

The new label is sported on the LED driver module too. It looks much better than the printed version in G1.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The old G1 has a flimsy L shape "ELOS" type bracket.

I know a lot of reefers are skeptical about that bracket.

MaxSpect has addressed it by

1) changing the bracket model. It has 2 adjustable bars that can be placed on the tank and the LED light module can slide on these bars for easy positionin and maintenance. if it is hindering your cleaning of the tank, just slide it towards the back :)

2) providing a hanging kit.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

Another difference on the exterior is the fans.

I recall that the 1st production of lights had a rather noisy fan.

The newer G1 lights in production later has the newer fans which was claimed that reduce the noise.

The G2 has replace the 2 small fans with a big one!

I tell you frankly that the only way you can hear this fan is by putting your ear next to it.

It is that silent.

I have switched on the light for 6 hrs already and the light temp is hovering around 37 deg del.

This is actually approx 2 deg cel higher than G1. So the trade off for a quieter fan is a higher temp - from what I am noticing at this point.

will check the light temp tomorrow after I run a full 8 hrs operation.

But if you are switching over from MH or prob even T5, the amount of heat radiating at the surface of your water and the tank surrounding is reduced by easily 50 - 70%. I had been running a 150W MH the last 6 weeks and the amount of heat was really getting to me. Today after switching back to this LED, I felt so good standing beside the tank :)

No glare, no extreme heat.

The LED driver looks exactly the same except for the labelling & the 2 lights indicator.

G1

G2

The new connector seems to be of a larger size but the workshopship seemed to have improved a lot.

Look at the quality of the black rubber spacer between the connect and the casing :P

G1

G2

Now that I have touched on the physical difference, lets proceed to the feature enhancements.

New key feature 1

The new G2 has a moonlight feature. The 4 blue LEDs automatically comes on when both the white and blue LED are switched off via the built in timers.

My moonlight was just switched on as I am typing this - so coincidental. :P

It is bright enough to let you see whats in the tank. not sure if this is too bright for the livestock but I can see some of the zoas closing already. So I guess should be ok.

one problem is that I do not know how to switch off the moonlight in the morning.

will check with MaxSpect and revert to you guys once I hear from them.

New key feature 2

Another interesting feature is that you can now swop out faulty LED/s or change white LEDs to blue LEDs or vice versa yourself. there is no need to send the unit back to the factory for such replacement and the best part is that the warranty will not be voided.

The LEDs are mounted on "LED shoe plate" that is secured to the aluminium plate by 2 screws and a 2 pin connector.

If the LED is faulty or should you wish to replace the white LED with a blue one to give a more actinic look, you would just need to order a new LED from MaxSpect and do the replacement yourself.

I have yet to try it but would post pics if I get a chance to.

here's the white LEDs

and these are the blue ones.

The pros of MaxSpect G2 LED Light system

- high customizability : you can opt to upgrade to CREE LEDs and you can reconfigure the number of blue LEDs and white LEDs.

- easy replacement of LEDs

- individual built in timer for white and blue LED

- slim, sleek, great finishing

- dual mounting bracket and hanging kit provided

- silent fans

- low cost as compared to other commercial units.

- 18 months warranty

- easy slider to move LED module out of the way during maintenance

- high temp cut off protection

The cons

- no dimmer

- no instructions on how to switch off moonlight.

- I really cannot think of any others at this point of time. Of course cheaper is always better at a retail price of 495 SGD, you really cannot argue much especially if you compare against other commercial units which easily cost 2x more.

Last but not least, a photo of my tank under 150W MH 20k bulb and under the G2 for comparision.

Both light are placed same distance from the water surface during photo taking.

Both photos are taken with he exact same camera setting.

Both photos are not edited.

150W MH 20k

MaxSpect G2 110W

Latest update from MaxSpect:

The moonlight cannot be switched off unless you switch off the LED driver. (but that will stop the timer and clock).

It is designed this way cause the moonlight consumes a total of 0.4W only.

• SRC Member

Nice...but still out of my budget... :D

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

Nice...but still out of my budget... :D

hmmm I think the entire SRC knows how deep your pocket is already.

just sell some of your rics and your current 2MH + T5, you can easily get the 80 cm version already.

• SRC Member

For those reefers whose tanks are 4ft and above...either have to get 2 or more units or the 80cm unit or customised LED, but still have to use T5 to supplement to fill up the gaps. And $900 plus for the G2-170W and >$1k for the G2-230W..is quite costly as compared to MH. The thing is, the psychology of some consumers, they dun look at monthly expenses but rather how much they have to fork out upfront for the lightings.

I think the prices for LED fixtures will only be competitive as more & more brands start to mass produce and reefers from the States and Europe start to demand more of such technologies as they have the biggest market.

post-15124-1266368238_thumb.jpg

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
hmmm I think the entire SRC knows how deep your pocket is already.

just sell some of your rics and your current 2MH + T5, you can easily get the 80 cm version already.

Problem is that if I sell off my rics, then i will still have to spend money to get more rics in future and it is not a given that I will be able to get as nice rics as those that I sold... :eyebrow:

80cm version...meaning G2-170W...that is $940 bro...plus the stand will add to $965. I presume that G2-170 should be equivalent to 325W since it is right smack between G2-160 and G2-180. Problem for me is that there will be very minimal cost savings as I only switch on my MH for 3 hours daily and my T5s for the other 5 hours. The difference is electrical consumption is only like 400W-500W per day max.

Well, if the G2-170 was priced ard $500, I might consider it but right now, I dun think so.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
For those reefers whose tanks are 4ft and above...either have to get 2 or more units or the 80cm unit or customised LED, but still have to use T5 to supplement to fill up the gaps. And $900 plus for the G2-170W and >$1k for the G2-230W..is quite costly as compared to MH. The thing is, the psychology of some consumers, they dun look at monthly expenses but rather how much they have to fork out upfront for the lightings.

I think the prices for LED fixtures will only be competitive as more & more brands start to mass produce and reefers from the States and Europe start to demand more of such technologies as they have the biggest market.

I think for reefers who have SPS dominated tanks and need to switch their MH for 8-10 hours daily, then it could be a viable option. But that is assuming that the LEDs can last for 5 years without any light fall off and replacements parts for any parts that fail are relatively inexpensive.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Problem is that if I sell off my rics, then i will still have to spend money to get more rics in future and it is not a given that I will be able to get as nice rics as those that I sold... :eyebrow:

80cm version...meaning G2-170W...that is $940 bro...plus the stand will add to $965. I presume that G2-170 should be equivalent to 325W since it is right smack between G2-160 and G2-180. Problem for me is that there will be very minimal cost savings as I only switch on my MH for 3 hours daily and my T5s for the other 5 hours. The difference is electrical consumption is only like 400W-500W per day max.

Well, if the G2-170 was priced ard $500, I might consider it but right now, I dun think so.

hmmm then the MH bulb & T5 tubes replacement every year or every 1.5 yrs - 2 years? easily 300 SGD i think.

Yeah starting cost for LED is always higher but in the long run, the savings are more substantial.

• SRC Member
hmmm then the MH bulb & T5 tubes replacement every year or every 1.5 yrs - 2 years? easily 300 SGD i think.

Yeah starting cost for LED is always higher but in the long run, the savings are more substantial.

The problem is..most reefers still judge based on how much they have to spend upfront.

Yes, i agree for those SPS dominated tanks..switching to LEDs will be more cost effective as operating 9-12 hours per day is no joke considering the heat produce and amt of energy the chiller needs to cool maintain the temp and potential meltdown if the chiller breaks down when they are not around.

For LPS keepers...what is withholding, is mainly the cost of purchasing a LED unit....correct me if i'm wrong.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member

Based on my usage and the rated livespan of MH bulbs which is about 10K~20K hours before 30% light fall off, I think I will not need to change the bulbs for a couple of years... :whistle

Daily, I only on my MH for 3 hours so in a year I on it for 1,095 hrs. If assuming that I need to change it every 5,000 hrs, the MH bulbs will still last me ard 4 yrs+.

In fact, if you look at the test done on a couple of MH bulbs a couple of years back by reef keeping magazine, you will find that the light decreases by ard 30% after 2,920 hrs on average.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/ac/index.php

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
Based on my usage and the rated livespan of MH bulbs which is about 10K~20K hours before 30% light fall off, I think I will not need to change the bulbs for a couple of years... :whistle

Daily, I only on my MH for 3 hours so in a year I on it for 1,095 hrs. If assuming that I need to change it every 5,000 hrs, the MH bulbs will still last me ard 4 yrs+.

In fact, if you look at the test done on a couple of MH bulbs a couple of years back by reef keeping magazine, you will find that the light decreases by ard 30% after 2,920 hrs on average.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/ac/index.php

i think this forum has become a LED vs MH/T5 discussion...haha...rather than review on G2.

i hope jacky dun mind....i appreciate his good effort of taking pics and writing this review.

l7304smr.jpg

• SRC Member
The problem is..most reefers still judge based on how much they have to spend upfront.

Yes, i agree for those SPS dominated tanks..switching to LEDs will be more cost effective as operating 9-12 hours per day is no joke considering the heat produce and amt of energy the chiller needs to cool maintain the temp and potential meltdown if the chiller breaks down when they are not around.

For LPS keepers...what is withholding, is mainly the cost of purchasing a LED unit....correct me if i'm wrong.

For me, the initial cost is the main barrier as the running cost savings is pretty much minimal. I mean on the light savings costs, I'm probably only going to save ard $40 per year... :upsidedown: Can't really quantify how much savings I will get from my chiller running in less since my tank temp is maintained between 28-29 degC.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member
For me, the initial cost is the main barrier as the running cost savings is pretty much minimal. I mean on the light savings costs, I'm probably only going to save ard $40 per year... :upsidedown: Can't really quantify how much savings I will get from my chiller running in less since my tank temp is maintained between 28-29 degC.

That is bcoz u only turn on for 3-4hrs ma..lol ^_^ ...i think we need to hear from those SPS reefers on their feedback.

l7304smr.jpg

My thread kenna OT again by Peter.

MH bulb are reccommended to be changed every 9 months for optimal performance. This is the general consensus from the reefing community.

Based on pro-rating your hrs usage, that means your 2x bulbs perhaps can last you 2 - 3 yrs. Of course you can stretch to 5 years no issue or 6 yrs even.

But the important question is then will be how will your corals be fairing then. something that cannot be answered.

regarding the reefkeeping report, 30% of PAR loss after x hrs... how important is this 30% to corals? and yeah it is on the average meaning it can be higher or it can be lower too.

so again no one knows for sure.

Your MH usage is only 3 hrs. T5 5 hrs. T5 = 4 x39W? I think most people switch on longer than yours.

But a lot of this is personal preference. Just like when do you want to change your MH bulb? Some people follow religiously 9 monthly while others may drag to 3 years.

I am too lazy to calculate but definitely the bulb replacement cost + tubes replacement cost + electrical savings over 3 years will definitely quite a substantial saving.

If this lighting arrangement is working for you (which I think it is judging from your corals photos - and I think your feeding regime might have helped as well), then its really great. use the $900 to buy more rics :)

but for starters who might be thinking of gettting the same lightset as you, then they can really consider the LED option.

unless they want to follow your photo period of only 3 hrs MH and use the 2 bulbs for 5 yrs.

=================================================

anyway a recap (Pls feel free to add in anything I might have missed out)

Pros of LED

- low heat directed at the tank water surface. Water will be cooler and chiller will kick in much less. I definitely can vouch for this after switching from MH

- lower water evaporation and higher water stability. Critical for nanos.

- surrounding ambience temperature will be cooler too.

- Lifespan of LEDs spec at 5 yrs. No annual replacement required.

- No glare from LED light as opposed to MH

- lower wattage required achieve the same PAR as a MH.

Cons of LED

- LED not proven to last up to 5 years as technology is new.

- high startup cost

• SRC Member

My T5 is only 2x39W...and atinic blue :P

By the way, 9 months change is based on average of 8-10 hrs use which is generally what most reefers are doing. B)

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List: