water problem.

• SRC Member

Saw that you added a dog faced puffer and bi-colour angel..

Brudder, u should concentrate on getting the right equipment first... Honestly, I think you are still overstocked...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

It's always a pleasure to cross swords with you...

I think I am beginning to overcome my "phobia" of you from all these interactions... :)

Keep us posted of the rest of your water parameters, brudder.. I think a lot of people here would like to know... ;)

No hard feelings... and Merry Christmas...

:peace::peace::peace:

• SRC Member

as an advise. dont buy anymore creatures as this will be worse. try not to touch ur filter/gravel and let those bacteria grows. try vitamins to keep ur creatures going. keep the tank clean of extra food and shits everyday. Maybe u can try Geoliquid. I have tried and they have excellent performances

Ahem. Take it easy guys. No flaming here pls.

Just to ask you, seamarine... what kind of rocks are those in your tank? They don't look like liverocks to me and you don't have a DSB. What kind of filtration system are you running?

Can we take a look?

• SRC Member

Geoliquid is not advisable as it's not a long term solution... It clear cloudy water by binding itself with floating particles and then accumulate on your sandbed...

It will create another problem if u dun clean your sandbed... your nitrate level will increase...

• SRC Member
Ahem. Take it easy guys. No flaming here pls.

Just to ask you, seamarine... what kind of rocks are those in your tank? They don't look like liverocks to me and you don't have a DSB. What kind of filtration system are you running?

Can we take a look?

Seamarine and I are getting to know each other better... Learning to face my nemesis... ;)

I think it's turning out well so far...

• SRC Member

Boss, here's your posting for seamarine sometime back... just to refresh...

Seamarine,

I guess you are on a very tight budget as I can see that your marine tank is inadequately setup.

1. Your tank is bigger than your stand. Watch out for instability.

2. Using small white rocks...what is it made of? Marble? Sandstone? White granite? You may want to research a bit more about sandbeds if you want a stable system that can process nitrates. Is it just for decoration then?

3. You have too little liverock or in fact.. not the rock that are used for marine. Yours look like a granite rock. These are very non-porous, dense and heavy and do not serve to be part of your biological filter system.

4. Your lighting is grossly inadequate for keeping hard corals. Please upgrade to a much higher wattage and quantity as soon as possible.

5. You are way overstocked for a tank that size and a filtration system which is grossly inadequate. Do not listen to Giritharan as he is obviously still a beginner like you.

I suggest the following action to be taken or I can guarantee you that your marine livestock will die within a few short weeks.

1. Throw away your white pebbles and use #0 sand to form at least 4 inches of DSB. Recommended 6 inchs deep. You may lose some height but it will aid your system in processing nitrates to harmless nitrogen in the long term.

2. Throw away your rocks and buy at least enough Liverocks (LR) from LFS to fill up 70% of your tank.

3. Do regular water changes to dilute water pollution.

4. Get a sump tank to increase water volume and put in a larger skimmer to maintain your tank. You can use GA carbon to help your system. If you can't get a sump tank due to space... a big canister may be your next best choice but you have to do much more regular maintenance compared to a sump tank method. OHF systems are useless for marine (and there has been many reports of aquariums catching fire due to these pumps recently in the newspapers).

5. Add in more lights or upgrade to pack in as much lights as possible over your tank. What you have now is totally inadequate.

6. Give away 50% of your fishes.

7. Read up more.

8. Throw away that plastic photo background... it makes your tank look crowded but totally unnatural.

This is not to scold you or look down on you, but you really have to stop listening to LFS advice and look at how more experienced hobbyists are doing things and don't experiment at this stage. Many people have walked down the newbie stage and now are passing on their experience to you to help you save time and money and prevent livestock losses.

Learn from us and save yourself a lot of grief.

If you are open to learning... we are more than happy to teach! :)

AT

• SRC Member
ha.. su hua shou de hao .. bu ta bu xiang shi n we are bu nao bu xiang shi

Honestly, sometime see ur postings dunno whether to laugh or get angry... Hiaz.... :D:lol::D

But then again, it's things like this that keep the reef community buzzing with life....

• SRC Member

Are u still using the same old stand that is too small? :blink:

Seems like it...

Bigger tank it might be but looks like the same conditions... Granite Rocks, White Pebbles for FreshWater....

U could have save your money to get more Liverocks and grade 0 coral sand instead of buying the bi-colour angel, puffer and the anemone...

Talk about anemone, did u upgrade ur lights since?

Aiyah..... I dunno what to say lah... :pinch::pinch::pinch:

Seamarine... two piece of LR is NOT enough!

And the overhead filter system is NOT good for a marine tank either!

You should look into a better filter system right away!

Suggestions:

1. Get a sump as first choice, you can put more LR or a DSB in there if you don't have space in your main tank. Do away with the overhead filter.

2. 2nd choice if you can't get a sump is to use a big canister but it will be more maintenance than a sump.

3. Increase the depth of your sandbed to about 5 to 6 inch of #0 sand to aid in denitrification.

3. Add a lot more LR until it takes up about 50 to 60% of your tank. LR is porous and can hold ample amounts of bacteria to aid in the filtration process. Throw away the decorative rocks/marble/'whatever that is' rock in your tank as they are useless in a reef tank and may possibly even be leaching something into the water.

• SRC Member
okok .. u finish luffing liao.. wat u wanna flame b4 i go ..

No more flaming each other, k?

We sign a pact... to make AT's Christmas better without tearing his hair?

Take care brudder! I still wanna go LFS with u, juz pm me... my enemy-######-friend... :peace:

Grab me while I am still in my festive Christmas mood of giving... ;)

:lol::D:lol:

I just took a closer look.. is that coral chips as your sandbed?

Suggest you remove them all and replace with fine sand instead.

They tend to trap detritus overtime and become a form of nitrate factory. Unless you don't mind vacuuming your substrate weekly and doing water changes regularly.

• SRC Member
I just took a closer look.. is that coral chips as your sandbed?

Suggest you remove them all and replace with fine sand instead.

They tend to trap detritus overtime and become a form of nitrate factory. Unless you don't mind vacuuming your substrate weekly and doing water changes regularly.

It's not coral chips, AT... see ur earlier posting which I have inserted in this thread... Wah lao, u either have a very bad memory or u post like 100000 postings a day... :lol::D:lol: