Housing Arctica Chiller in outdoor area?

I bought over the 1/4 chiller from a fellow forumer, and placed it in front of my tank. I could have placed inside the cabinet but Im afraid it just generates too much heat when kept inside. In its current position in front of the tank (the rear of the chiller about 45cm away from front of tank), its dissipating quite a fair bit of heat to the surrounding area.

I have an outdoor planter area (its about 4.5m x 1.0m sized area which is sheltered on the top, but not on the sides) with some plants in there. The wife's complaining the heat generated by the chiller is making the living room area warm, so Im thinking to relocate the chiller to this planter area. The other dimensions/ considerations as follow.

- Chiller is Arctica 1/4hp

- Dedicated Chiller Pump EHEIM 1262

- Distance from planter area to tank (8m)

- Planter Area is separated from living room (where tank is housed) via full-height windows

Off the top of my head, Im wondering if the 1262 provides sufficient flowrate to pump water via the sump across 8m to the chiller and back (roundtrip distance approx 16m?, and including some twists and turns along the way). In the current setup, the eheim is connected directly to chiller, but can see the outflow from chiller is not fantastic. I thought 1262 has flowrate of 3400l/hr? Seems a little underpowered, or the chiller is slowing down the flowrate drastically.

Also Im not sure if i can cut open a hole in the window so that the piping to chiller can go through that hole in the window?

Anyone has such experience?

• SRC Member
I bought over the 1/4 chiller from a fellow forumer, and placed it in front of my tank. I could have placed inside the cabinet but Im afraid it just generates too much heat when kept inside. In its current position in front of the tank (the rear of the chiller about 45cm away from front of tank), its dissipating quite a fair bit of heat to the surrounding area.

I have an outdoor planter area (its about 4.5m x 1.0m sized area which is sheltered on the top, but not on the sides) with some plants in there. The wife's complaining the heat generated by the chiller is making the living room area warm, so Im thinking to relocate the chiller to this planter area. The other dimensions/ considerations as follow.

- Planter Area is separated from living room (where tank is housed) via full-height windows

Off the top of my head, Im wondering if the 1262 provides sufficient flowrate to pump water via the sump across 8m to the chiller and back (roundtrip distance approx 16m?, and including some twists and turns along the way). In the current setup, the eheim is connected directly to chiller, but can see the outflow from chiller is not fantastic. I thought 1262 has flowrate of 3400l/hr? Seems a little underpowered, or the chiller is slowing down the flowrate drastically.

Also Im not sure if i can cut open a hole in the window so that the piping to chiller can go through that hole in the window?

i had a 1262 running my 1/2hp artica chiller as well from my previous set up with a fair distance of about 3m from the sump. what i did is from sump run the piping to chiller with the 1262 just about half a meter before the chiller and it works well for me. my whole idea was the 2.5m+ piping from sump becomes part of the sump so as to create little worries for the 1262 to push water to the chiller and out.

and i think we are at the same dilemma now; im setting up my tank at the moment and planning to place the chiller outdoor as well with the rest of my office condenser. issue is when i asked the maintenance guy from artica if its possible to place the chiller outdoor he mentioned as long as it is not directly under the sun or rain its ok.

anybody can advice?

• SRC Member

Well at least you made a right choice of not placing the chiller in a cabinet.. Not recommended at all.. the heat recirculation is gonna shorten the lifespan.

Putting the chiller 8m away should mean you need a way higher flowrate pump.. which in return means higher wattage for the same flow rate.. At least thats what makes sense.. It should be the same like head-loss.. just not as bad since its not against gravity..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

wouldn't an easy solution be to buy a stronger pump to make up for the headloss?

Just my 2 cents worth

that simple solution costs alot. unless a 1264 comes into the market at affordable prices. and then the need to construct an external housing?shelter of sorts to house the chiller in the planter area, and finally not forgetting the need to drill a hole through the planter window to accomodate the piping.

all in i think around 400 bux???? siong manz

and i have been given a 1 month deadline to settle the warm exhaust problem in the living room....

Well, I think the fact of the matter is that if yo want to move your chiller out of your living room, you would have to budget for the housing, drilling a hole through the planter windows etc... etc...

so really the difference is just buying a stronger pump.

And to me, if i already have to spend so much money, i really won't want to save on the pump and spoil the whole set up.

An alternative suggestion, which was one used by my company previously. Instead of moving the Chiller out, try moving the heat out. A tubing with a fan attached to exhaust the heat out when the chiller is working.

The fan can be wired to the chiller, such that it will only work when the chiller is on. That way, once the heat is generated, it is almost immediately exhaust out of the window.

This method, you will not suffer headloss. You won't run the risk of chiller being in the sun, you save money on construction of housing. What you need to do is to arrange and decorate the tube nicely, so that your wife won't kill you :)

my 2 cents worth...

Well, I think the fact of the matter is that if yo want to move your chiller out of your living room, you would have to budget for the housing, drilling a hole through the planter windows etc... etc...

so really the difference is just buying a stronger pump.

And to me, if i already have to spend so much money, i really won't want to save on the pump and spoil the whole set up.

An alternative suggestion, which was one used by my company previously. Instead of moving the Chiller out, try moving the heat out. A tubing with a fan attached to exhaust the heat out when the chiller is working.

The fan can be wired to the chiller, such that it will only work when the chiller is on. That way, once the heat is generated, it is almost immediately exhaust out of the window.

This method, you will not suffer headloss. You won't run the risk of chiller being in the sun, you save money on construction of housing. What you need to do is to arrange and decorate the tube nicely, so that your wife won't kill you :)

my 2 cents worth...

well-thought out. You must have also considered this at some point in the past.

Thanks for the heasdup, but i suck at electrical stuff, so most prob will have to rely on forumer's recommendation on who can do all the fan wiring, exhaust piping etc etc.

Any lobang??! :eyebrow:

Thanks for the heasdup, but i suck at electrical stuff, so most prob will have to rely on forumer's recommendation on who can do all the fan wiring, exhaust piping etc etc.

I have the wire connected. am still deciding on the fan.

i leave my windows open in the open when i come to work, so the house is not that hot.

its not a difficult job. there is a pair of black wire that connects to the internal fan. Snip it and connect it to another 2 wires and pull it out of the chiller. So when you connect a fan to it, the 2 fans will work in tandem.

• SRC Member

Do put up some pics when this is done.. maybe can give some suggestions to others facing heat issues in the living room area.. :eyebrow:

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/