photo of good/bad pods..

ambystoma82

Most copepods and amphipods are beneficial to the reef system. Do not freak out when you see them. Fishes naturally eat them as part of their diet.

You should only be worried about isopods. These stick to your fish and look like flattened oblong-shaped crustaceans with 2 black eyes on top.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
hi bros any1 can ID wad are these...saw afew in my tank at nite and some of them were quite big...

are they harmful ?

post-16835-1268665727_thumb.jpgpost-16835-1268665836_thumb.jpg

The one in the second pic looks like what I have.. they basically do nothing harmful.. comes out when its dark. They should be burrowing in crevices of rocks.. I had an infestation once.. was up at night and saw lots and lots on them crawling around the rocks.. :eyeblur: .. makes the hair at the back on my neck stand.

None of my fishes eat them (Tangs, Clowns, Grammas, etc).. Still have them now esp in my Cheatos but population died down anyway for unknown reasons..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• 3 weeks later...

need another id tis bugger...it bit me and made me bleed afew drops of blood :angry2:

post-16835-12704926236751_thumb.jpgpost-16835-12704926485359_thumb.jpg

Bro qiang,

Kill this one ON SIGHT! This is the isopod blood sucker that will feed on your fish. If you see it on your fish, remove it asap.Note the two black eyes on top... unmistakeable.

Woah....luckily my tank got no fish yet...do they reproduce fast? sian leh will they die off if they got Nth to feed on ?

i dunno leh. I only ever caught one on my tang. I removed it and never saw a recurrence again.