How to cultivate/make Coraline algae grow on LR?

• SRC Member

Understand n seen some LFS with v nice LR that covers with coraline algae so just wanna check with the expert here wat r the things I should do to make it become purple again? I used to have them purple colour but after sometime brown algae grow on top instead of purple!

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

high calcium and with a help of liquid - ' purple up 'to push purple algae out

Purple algae does not get pushed out of nowhere. You need to have existing coraline algae growth in the tank to multiply and spread onto other rocks. Good lighting (which I assume you will already have for coral growth) is also required for coraline algae to grow, I heard some reefers say that they multiply faster with blue light, but I don't know how true is that. Also, make sure that your rocks are clean and algae free; slime/hair algae will stunt the growth of coraline in the affect areas.

Besides proper calcium levels, magnesium level should be maintained as well. The main ingredients of purple up is calcium, magnesium and iodine.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

lazy to type... do a quick search in our forum. Have lots of threads that discuss "purple up", "coraline" etc.

But you will need to control your nutrient levels first. All other forms of algae are just signs that your nitrates/phosphates are not under control. And they will outgrow coraline, which is what you are seeing in your tank now.

• SRC Member

How long does it take for the algae to spread around to the dead rocks?

Assuming you have little coraline algae to start with and your water parameters and light period are perfect, should see them spreading within weeks (will start out as small purple dots), and in a few months it will be nicely encrusted.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

How long does it take for the algae to spread around to the dead rocks?

Dead rocks = not live

First it takes you ~4+ weeks to make it 'live' aka for bacteria to colonize it, and start to observe "funny things" growing on the rock. Depending on what kinda rock, your parameters, it can take anywhere from 2-3 weeks to months after to see coraline encrusting the rocks. But coraline needs to be seeded first, you cannot expect it to grow from nowhere.

• SRC Member

there are also talks about seeding your tank with coraline algae to kick start the growth of coraline all over...

what they do is to scrape off some coraline algae and "spread" it over areas without the coraline growth..

not sure if this helps but i did read up before..

otherwise like all the other bros have mentioned, coraline requires calcium to grow.. also your parameters must at least be decent as well..

HTH

Cheers,

Ray

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Weekly doses of Purple up and a tablespoon of strontium helps for me.

FOWLR Tank : Decom

Invert Tank: Decom

Current Tank: 2 ft with 2ft sump, 2 pyjama Cardinals, 1 Watchman Goby, 8 sand gobies, common saltwater shrimps, 3 turbo snails. 1 super green paly

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

U guys mean there's such product call purple up?

I'm using a powder form calcium to up the calcium level.

Izzit good enough? Of coz did add magnesium into it as well

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

U guys mean there's such product call purple up?

I'm using a powder form calcium to up the calcium level.

Izzit good enough? Of coz did add magnesium into it as well

Yes, there's a product call purple up. Available at most LFS.