low-iron glass

vt_snowman87

hi bro terry, nice seeing u again just now, long time no see.. thanks for the info bro.. :)

Yeah... Lol.. Was rushing off, so din take the time to admire your soon decomming tank.. Haha.. See you around soon..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

ei.. u need to find other reefer tank to test.. not mine... :P

hahahaha of course cannot test one la! just wanna see the clarity.. relax bro! :eyebrow:

• SRC Member

For the benefit of the lazy:

Iron is added to the raw material that makes glass (mostly sand and recycled glass shards) to give color to the glass so that it absorbs heat better. This causes the raw material to liquify quicker so they can make more glass per day. This is also why low iron glass costs more. If your energy costs per day are the same but you are making 30% less glass you have to charge more. The amount of iron (2 lbs per 1000 tons) is negligible and has no effect on the hardness of the glass. Low iron glass does not scratch any easier than regular glass. What it does do is show scratches better. This is because the optical clarity is so much higher that very tiny scratches that would go unnoticed on regular green glass stand out. Consequently you have to be more careful when cleaning the glass.

I think it sounds v. logical to me :)

And if he's right, those building pico tanks would be better off paying for acrylic for clarity? or does he mean normal glass would be equally as clear?

• SRC Member

And if he's right, those building pico tanks would be better off paying for acrylic for clarity? or does he mean normal glass would be equally as clear?

I don't think iron is purposely added to the raw materials for normal glass as what the person posted. Iron (II) oxide is present in the raw material for glass making, mainly silica sand. Crystal glass is made from silica products with minimal iron present.

Comy, the poster said the 2 types of glass at 1/4 inch (6mm) and below show a negligible difference in optical clarity, so I guess he means you're better off using normal glass.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Supporter

imo,go for clear crystal glass some may understand it as starphire glass. locally not much maker can get their hands on this glass nowadays. not easy to get in sg.

as for low iron glass. am a user myself and from a low iron : crystal clear glass/starphire - see a big difference in clarity. as for low iron: normal glass - dont waste your $.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

imo,go for clear crystal glass some may understand it as starphire glass. locally not much maker can get their hands on this glass nowadays. not easy to get in sg.

as for low iron glass. am a user myself and from a low iron : crystal clear glass/starphire - see a big difference in clarity. as for low iron: normal glass - dont waste your $.

@_@ Blur liao... So what I understand from your statement is that Crystal Clear = Starphire. Low iron is different from Crystal Clear or Starphire?

Sorry, very drugged up at home, recovering from gastric flu since yesterday lol.

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

@_@ Blur liao... So what I understand from your statement is that Crystal Clear = Starphire. Low iron is different from Crystal Clear or Starphire?

Sorry, very drugged up at home, recovering from gastric flu since yesterday lol.

Bino, i hope you are well soon.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

Bino, i hope you are well soon.

Thanks for your concern. Better liao, yesterday was worse.. I took 10 mins to reply to this thread then someone beat me to it and asked the same thing, hahaha! (See my first post asking abt the difference in glass)

My 1.5ft nano cube

-- Jack Handey

• SRC Member

yes, heard that crystal glass is very diff from the normal low iron glass but its quite difficult to obtain that kind of glass in sg. info from a tank maker. nvr confirm the source. i can see the diff in the low iron glass tank when i compare the glass panel.

yes the thicker the better... but anyrhing above 12 mm is very expensive.

my 3.5ft low iron glass tank is price around 500 for 3 sides. well ofcoz a normal float tank is cheaper. if u got the $ try it. vincent why not do 2 panel then report the diff. :P

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member

Hi there, been very informative reading the postings here. I was wondering does crystal glass only comes in 100% colorless hue? Cos I am taking over a tank set, and the owner told me the front panel is made of Crystal glass, and I noticed it has a slight blue hue to it, is tt also considered crystal glass?

Also I was told some crystal glass tend to have a light bluish/golden hue to it, are these also considered crystal glass? :thanks:

" The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They are there to stop the other people! "

Randy Pausch, (The Last Lecture)

• SRC Member

must be case studies from your medical field :P

just happened to be listening to lecturor that day. :P

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

a picture speaks a thousand words.. went to find my tankmaker today and requested for samples of the glass that will be used..

12mm normal glass is really darker than i expected. <_<

12mm low-iron is really really clear. :shock:

post-9599-12708989215336_thumb.jpeg

post-9599-12708989380476_thumb.jpeg

• SRC Member

mai tu liao la.

for my next tank. if its ever going to be one, i will use the better optics for 1

a picture speaks a thousand words.. went to find my tankmaker today and requested for samples of the glass that will be used..

Nice... So which tankmaker did you go to?

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

mai tu liao la.

for my next tank. if its ever going to be one, i will use the better optics for 1

haha ya i also think mai tu liao.. hahaha.. after seeing the glass comparison in person, really no horse run..

Nice... So which tankmaker did you go to?

went back to my old tankmaker, Kwong Lin Framemaker at kelantan street.. very gd pricing.. :) same pricing for lowiron as the lobang u recommended..

• SRC Supporter

actually there isnt any starphire glass.we all know that starphire is a kind of gem stone and the price it can command per stone. so imagine having it into a glass panel. the price will be great!

the debate of glass panel material which involve "starphire"/crystal glass,low iron glass,normal glass goes on and on everywheer around the world.

if u do a detail google search less wikipedia(not official) you will find mix comments about each review.

end of the day, i guess goes all down to $ vs quality and perhaps on how long you will own it.

say e.g 2ft cube tank $5k for plexi glass but use for 1year vs crystal glass $2k use for 1year. is the difference in clarity that great? :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Supporter

the clear glass looks more then jus an low iron glass.

perhaps there is even different grades of low iron glass.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed