cost for maintainance of marine tank

I am planning to set up a 3 or 4 feet marine tank, but still hesitate in RT or FOT.

I want to know which one is higher for the cost of maintainance.

Anyone can share your cost for the maintainance?

It'd be better if you can list each item.

BTW, I lived in Yishun, I am eager to know whom live in Yishun Bro/Sis.

--------------------------int cost avg----kw/day------1day bill--------1mth bill-------1yr bil

Maxspect 230w x 2------S$2160-------3.68kw-------S$0.85----------S$25.86------S$310.25

8hrs a day

MS skimmer 33w x 2----S$500--------1.584kw------S$0.37----------S$11.02------S$132.23

Laguna pump 160w------S$380--------3.84kw-------S$0.88----------S$26.72------S$320.55

Sunsun 30w--------------S$70----------0.72kw-------S$0.17----------S$5.01-------S$ 60.11

Hailea HC-500 528w-----S$579--------5.28kw-------S$1.21----------S$36.73------S$440.75

10hrs per day

Algea scrubber-----------S$250--------1.728kw------S$0.40----------S$12.20------S$146.00

24w x 4 18hrs

Refugim lighting----------S$150--------0.45kw-------S$0.11----------S$3.13--------S$37.57

DIY Led 45w 10hrs

Refugim Ayclic box-------S$80

50kg grade 0&1 sand----S$50

Carrisea sand------------S$60

NSW-----------------------S$100

Test kit & additive--------S$300

Bio-home pus 6kg--------S$230

Live rock 80kg------------S$150

misc item------------------S$250

________________________________________________________________________________

Total cost------------------S$5309-----17.282kw-----S$3.99-----------S$121.37------S$1456.35

Exclude the tank

I believe fot is cheaper to maintain as compared to rt. Ligthing, chiller, additive, etc are area u will likely to save. However, certain deep water fishes do need chiller, hence still depend on what u keep. Maintenance cost, don't dare to look back but easily above 50 for electricity, food, water change, etc.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

--------------------------int cost avg----kw/day------1day bill--------1mth bill-------1yr bil

Maxspect 230w x 2------S$2160-------3.68kw-------S$0.85----------S$25.86------S$310.25

8hrs a day

MS skimmer 33w x 2----S$500--------1.584kw------S$0.37----------S$11.02------S$132.23

Laguna pump 160w------S$380--------3.84kw-------S$0.88----------S$26.72------S$320.55

Sunsun 30w--------------S$70----------0.72kw-------S$0.17----------S$5.01-------S$ 60.11

Hailea HC-500 528w-----S$579--------5.28kw-------S$1.21----------S$36.73------S$440.75

10hrs per day

Algea scrubber-----------S$250--------1.728kw------S$0.40----------S$12.20------S$146.00

24w x 4 18hrs

Refugim lighting----------S$150--------0.45kw-------S$0.11----------S$3.13--------S$37.57

DIY Led 45w 10hrs

Refugim Ayclic box-------S$80

50kg grade 0&1 sand----S$50

Carrisea sand------------S$60

NSW-----------------------S$100

Test kit & additive--------S$300

Bio-home pus 6kg--------S$230

Live rock 80kg------------S$150

misc item------------------S$250

________________________________________________________________________________

Total cost------------------S$5309-----17.282kw-----S$3.99-----------S$121.37------S$1456.35

Exclude the tank

Thank for your details. it is very useful information.

I believe fot is cheaper to maintain as compared to rt. Ligthing, chiller, additive, etc are area u will likely to save. However, certain deep water fishes do need chiller, hence still depend on what u keep. Maintenance cost, don't dare to look back but easily above 50 for electricity, food, water change, etc.

Thank for your reply.

it mains that it should be $50+ for FOT which size is 4'x2'x2'?

if yes, it should be double or triple of $50+ for a RT, right?

Bro, it really depends on yr setup and requirement. U can plan by using bro steven' calculation. For lighting, 2 ft uses 24w per tube, 3 ft using 39w, 4 ft 54w and 5ft 80w, etc. For fot, u can use 2 to 4 tubes or best use led. Pump wise, wide range. Same for skimmer etc. There are reefer who don't use skimmer also. Hence u can try to come out a budget and work towards it. Those low consumption equipment at time is more costly to buy. Maybe good to think if u going fo, wat type and budget before determining the size. However, this hobby can be addictive and never ending, think twice before commiting, ppl who on budget started small but end up pay more when upgrade. Try to vget equipment from market place but it carries risk. Is yr call. Marine equipment depreciate fast, lol. They are many helpful reefers ard. They will assist u along the way.

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Algae Scrubbler

Bro, it really depends on yr setup and requirement. U can plan by using bro steven' calculation. For lighting, 2 ft uses 24w per tube, 3 ft using 39w, 4 ft 54w and 5ft 80w, etc. For fot, u can use 2 to 4 tubes or best use led. Pump wise, wide range. Same for skimmer etc. There are reefer who don't use skimmer also. Hence u can try to come out a budget and work towards it. Those low consumption equipment at time is more costly to buy. Maybe good to think if u going fo, wat type and budget before determining the size. However, this hobby can be addictive and never ending, think twice before commiting, ppl who on budget started small but end up pay more when upgrade. Try to vget equipment from market place but it carries risk. Is yr call. Marine equipment depreciate fast, lol. They are many helpful reefers ard. They will assist u along the way.

Thank for your suggestion!

just to add, those lighting tube is using T5. For lighting, you can decide whether you want to go MH, T5 or LED. For chiller, if you are keeping hardy fishes, chiller may be omitted. All the best.

Algae Scrubbler

just to add, those lighting tube is using T5. For lighting, you can decide whether you want to go MH, T5 or LED. For chiller, if you are keeping hardy fishes, chiller may be omitted. All the best.

Thank you, Solo77.

I have a confuse question:

To maintain a FOT, example 4'X 2'X 2', 10 medium fishs,

it means that I should change the water to reduce the NO3 every week,

or i do not need to change the water, just fill up the volumn of evaporation water.

Is it possible to reduce the frequnce of changing water if i add live stone in FOT?

Hi Bro, 10 medium fishes.....think you going to tangs or big angels? For tang, in general, they might not need chiller. For angels, some do need. Please study their requirement before commiting.

Coming to your question in changing water, for a start, it is definitely recommended to ensure good water quality for your fishes. However, as your tank matured, this routine MAY cut down. However, you have make the judgement. There are reefers who dont change water for a year and their fishes still doing fine while others didnt change regularly, the tank crashed. As for the topping of water for vapourized water, yes, you must to ensure the sg level is constant. Lastly, frequency in changing water can cut down once your tank matured but there is definitely risk factor you have you take. I may be wrong, open for correction. Hope this clarifies.

Thank you, Solo77.

or i do not need to change the water, just fill up the volumn of evaporation water.

Is it possible to reduce the frequnce of changing water if i add live stone in FOT?

• Like 1

Algae Scrubbler

Hi Bro, 10 medium fishes.....think you going to tangs or big angels? For tang, in general, they might not need chiller. For angels, some do need. Please study their requirement before commiting.

Coming to your question in changing water, for a start, it is definitely recommended to ensure good water quality for your fishes. However, as your tank matured, this routine MAY cut down. However, you have make the judgement. There are reefers who dont change water for a year and their fishes still doing fine while others didnt change regularly, the tank crashed. As for the topping of water for vapourized water, yes, you must to ensure the sg level is constant. Lastly, frequency in changing water can cut down once your tank matured but there is definitely risk factor you have you take. I may be wrong, open for correction. Hope this clarifies.

I appreciate your fast reply.

Thank you, Solo77.

imho, once your tank is matured enough, you may reduce the frequency of changing water bcos the bacteria will be sufficient to handle ur bioload...in the initial stage, its gd to do regular water change for better water quality...

u may oso consider using refugium / chaeto / algae scrubber to export ur nutrients...it works for me...im using a refugium + chaeto + biohome...i only change 5% of my water every few months and i haf 20+ fishes (min 7-8 tangs) in a 3x2x2...n i feed everydae by flooding my whole tank wif flakes + pallets...however pls take note that 1 man's meat might be another's poison..wat works for me might not work for u...my 2 cents

• Like 1

Main tank: 4.5 x 2.5 x 2
Skimmer: Deltec AP701
Return pump: RD 6

Chiller: Daikin compressor with Titanium coil
Wavemaker: Jebao w-20, Maxspect Gyre xf150

Lighting: 8x54 ATI Sunpower Non-dimmable

Linked tank
Main tank: 2 x 1 x 2
Return: Eheim 1260
Lighting: AI Hydra 26 with controller
Wavemaker: Tunze 6025
My decommed 3 ft setup

imho, once your tank is matured enough, you may reduce the frequency of changing water bcos the bacteria will be sufficient to handle ur bioload...in the initial stage, its gd to do regular water change for better water quality...

u may oso consider using refugium / chaeto / algae scrubber to export ur nutrients...it works for me...im using a refugium + chaeto + biohome...i only change 5% of my water every few months and i haf 20+ fishes (min 7-8 tangs) in a 3x2x2...n i feed everydae by flooding my whole tank wif flakes + pallets...however pls take note that 1 man's meat might be another's poison..wat works for me might not work for u...my 2 cents

thank for sharing your experience. view your tank, it seems that it is very neat and beteaful.

• 3 weeks later...