Water change

• SRC Member

Just check with the expert here. If I need top up water every alternate day due to evaporation,is water change still a must?

I always top up around 40% of freshwater into my 3feet sump.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

since i dun do water change, i also topup with filtered water but i check my salinity and keep within the range of 1.024-1.026.

edit: i dun topup 40% so much btw, hahaha :)

God Blessed all who appreciate His wonderful and beautiful creations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my first reef aquarium 15jan2010

3x2x2ft EOS 10mm tank with sump//deltec sc2060 skimmer//arctica 1/10hp chiller

maxpect g2 170w led//vortech mp40w wavemaker//eheim 1262 universal pump

eheim compact+ 3000 chiller pump//caribsea ocean direct live sands 40lbs

and other misc...

• SRC Member

Just check with the expert here. If I need top up water every alternate day due to evaporation,is water change still a must?

yes....top up water is to bring the salinity level back to normal as a result of evaporation.

water change is to reduce nutrients and replenish vital trace elements

l7304smr.jpg

top up 40% of sump water every alternate day??? wow

that is a lot.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Water change and freshwater top up are two different things. Both have to be done. By the way, what do you mean by top up 40% of freshwater?

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

Chiller: Artica 1/5HP

Chiller Pump: Sicce 4000

Return Pump: OR3500

Skimmer: Deltec APF600

Wavemaker: Tunze Wavebox/2x Hydor K2/SCWD wavemaker

Lights: DElighting 2x150W MH + 2x 39W T5 Atinic

FR: Skimz

FR Pump: Atman AT-104

Tubby ATO, Kalkweisser Reactor with magnetic stirrer.

• SRC Member

40% of sump water not 40% of sump tank. Dun get me wrong n hope didn't scared the bro here who tot that it was 40% of tank water...

All along I tot that topping up of freshwater is as good as changing water coz both required new water...

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

40% of sump water not 40% of sump tank. Dun get me wrong n hope didn't scared the bro here who tot that it was 40% of tank water...

All along I tot that topping up of freshwater is as good as changing water coz both required new water...

Dun really understand what you are saying.

U mean u top up 40% of your sump water with freshwater?

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

If that 40% is due to evaporation, then freshwater would be fine but I find that amount excessive.

However, as Peter has mentioned, you will need to reduce excess nutrients from the water and putting back trace elements (from your saltwater mixture). So a water change would still be necessary to keep the tank running in good order (unless you are certain that tank conditions are excellent and you dose trace elements)

FOWLR Tank : 48"x24"x30"

Sump: 36"x18"x20"

Return Pump : Rio 32HF

Skimmer: Reef Octopus DNW-110

Lighting: 150W MH

• SRC Member

as long as you are topping up the same amount of water that has evaporated from your tank it should not be any issue. You have to ensure that even after topping up your fresh water, you salinity is still relatively the same.

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

• SRC Member

topping up water is NOT changing water.

sooner or later by doing that, ur salinity will be lower. and elements are not replenish. and i meant elements that are not measurable and you are not diluting whats bad in the water.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

I C wat bro LAW mean Liao. Changing will required discharging of old water then replenished new right?

• SRC Member

Changing water means siphoning away your current tank water and replacing it with new NSW or salt mix.

Topping up means water level drops due to evaporation and you add distilled or DI water to make up for the water lost through evaporation.

I do have 1 question, how do you get 40% water loss in your sump tank through evaporation?

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

I C wat bro LAW mean Liao. Changing will required discharging of old water then replenished new right?

yup you got it!

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Changing water means siphoning away your current tank water and replacing it with new NSW or salt mix.

Topping up means water level drops due to evaporation and you add distilled or DI water to make up for the water lost through evaporation.

I do have 1 question, how do you get 40% water loss in your sump tank through evaporation?

No la not exactly 40% la. Just an estimate coz roughly can tell. Lost by half is 50% ma so slightly lesser than half will be 40% lo if not mean lagi less which is 30% probably.

• SRC Member

No la not exactly 40% la. Just an estimate coz roughly can tell. Lost by half is 50% ma so slightly lesser than half will be 40% lo if not mean lagi less which is 30% probably.

So that is over a week or every alternate day? I only top up ard 6-10L a week for my 322 tank.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

For a 3ft sump, that's alot of water even for 30%, unless you haven't topped up for a long duration.

In that case, your tank's SG would have increased by quite a bit.

FOWLR Tank : 48"x24"x30"

Sump: 36"x18"x20"

Return Pump : Rio 32HF

Skimmer: Reef Octopus DNW-110

Lighting: 150W MH

• SRC Member

So that is over a week or every alternate day? I only top up ard 6-10L a week for my 322 tank.

Nope. Not a week. It's once every 2 days. I on my lighting quite long hour ba I think.

• SRC Member

yeah you are right already.

:peace:

just think it this way, top-up water ==> maintaing water level and salinit.

changing water: ==> diluting waste and replenishing whats good.

If a man could beat his own fantasy. Then to only breed in captivity. Then its pointless.

Genesis 1:20

And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that has life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven. And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth. And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.

|| Tank: 78" x 30" x 30" || Sump: 48" x 22" x 20" || Lights: PowerModule 10 X 80W|| Returns: 2 x HF32 ||

|| Skimmer: BubbleKing Supermarin 300 || Wavemaker: 3 x 6100 & 1 x 6200, 2 x Wavebox 6212, WavySea ||

|| FR: 2 x FR150 || NR: Sulphur Denitrator || CR: RM Custom Made 8" || KR: Deltec KM500 || TopUp: Tunze Osmolator 3155 ||

|| UV: Coralife 12X 36W || Ozonizer: Sanders C200|| Controller: GHL Profilux Plus II Ex ||

• SRC Member

r u running a chiller? or is ur tank leaking somewhere? to lose water that much in 2 days is nightmare for ur tank. i cant think how much ur perimeters of ur water will swing....

• SRC Member
tEc' date='22 April 2010 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1271942063' post='902250']

r u running a chiller? or is ur tank leaking somewhere? to lose water that much in 2 days is nightmare for ur tank. i cant think how much ur perimeters of ur water will swing....

Nope. No chiller no leaking. My house quite warm. Lighting lagi hot!

• SRC Member

Nope. No chiller no leaking. My house quite warm. Lighting lagi hot!

What is the size of your tank and sump? I'm very sure that even without a chiller, there couldn't be that much evaporation from your sump.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Tank 4x2x2.5

sump 3 feet

Do you have a fan blowing at your sump or at your tank? Otherwise I really don't think that you can have 40% evaporation rate in our sump.

My Setup:

3x2x2 tank with IOS

Equipment List:

• SRC Member

Ya... A fan blowing at the surface of water of my tank to maintain temperature of around 28 degree celcius.