Lemon's butterflyfish dominated reef

yikai

look at all these yellow declivis from US and Japan!

the yellow form is a subspecies C. declivis (declivis).

the black one is C. declivis (wilderi).

apparently it's not just a colour variant but geographic variant. the yellow one i think from xmas island and marquesas or something. i cannot remember the exact details. and i lazy to go get the book from my room.

i wish christmas islands still belonged to Singapore! so many nice stuff there.

Let's hope Petra Branka got something RARE other than a lighthouse! hehe (:

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

isn't that damn shag? why not ask CF or LCK to do that for us since they usually come in prospective fishes rather than the usual few? :)

If u tell CF and LCK to bring in the declivis declivis and not the wilderi declivis, i tell u they will give u this blur look and thinking wat the hell u talking about. They dunno the diff one, and to them the difference is negligible and they will not be willing to go thru the trouble to help u special order or request for the fish cos there is no profit in doing so and their supplier will prob not entertain these kind of requests also!

If u tell CF and LCK to bring in the declivis declivis and not the wilderi declivis, i tell u they will give u this blur look and thinking wat the hell u talking about. They dunno the diff one, and to them the difference is negligible and they will not be willing to go thru the trouble to help u special order or request for the fish cos there is no profit in doing so and their supplier will prob not entertain these kind of requests also!

wah lao <_<

like that we are so going to lose alot of nice fishes coming to our maiden shores! damn! :(

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

but one thing all of these butterflies in the "tinkeri-complex" have in common other than beauty, is hardiness. Rarely will you find butterflies that are so hardy that will literally begin feeding even minutes after shipment.

here's some videos of them.

the first one is the reigning queen of gorgeousness, the tinker's butterfly. followed by some videos of declivis and mitratus butterfly. Burgess's is not shown here. the last one, C. flavocoronatus, is another gorgeous beauty but unobtainable due to it being found in guam and very rarely in deep waters of Marshall islands.

Lemon your yellow declivis is as hard as my big crown multicolor:

DSC0450711.jpg

Like u i only saw it once at Iwarna and after tat no more! Regret not getting it den. As u hunt for your declivis next time during hawaii shipment i'll comb for my big crown multicolor!

• Senior Reefer

DSC0450711.jpg

Like u i only saw it once at Iwarna and after tat no more! Regret not getting it den. As u hunt for your declivis next time during hawaii shipment i'll comb for my big crown multicolor!

big crown multicolor, yellow declivis, all these are variations of common fishes that just makes it even more exciting!!

it makes looking at normal fishes more interesting.

DSC0450711.jpg

Pardon me, what's the difference between big crown and normal multi? the crown?

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

DSC0450711.jpg

Pardon me, what's the difference between big crown and normal multi? the crown?

And if you two are going to chiong, let me know ok! HAHA I will want to tag along and learn! hehe! :)

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

of course the dream is to own the nahackyi angel which the multicolor closely resemble. except that nahackyi has a larger crown and diff colour.

if you get a big crown multicolor and blast it under 400W MH, the white of the body will darken to a dark grey, resembling a little bit like nahackyi angelfish. that's what the really hardcore angel freaks will want to achieve because nahackyi is unobtainable.

then there's the holy grail of all rare dwarf angel....the abei angel. only waikiki aquarium has it on display.

these two you can only dream of getting.

post-15755-057004800 1289838686_thumb.jp

post-15755-031571800 1289838691_thumb.jp

:ThanxSmiley:

See the diff liao! DAMN BIG LO! hahahaha... what the hell... lol!

A normal crown multicolor is really normal. U can see many normal ones at LCK now.

But a big crown will be different, though some may argue the diff is too subtle. But to me it's a lot nicer:

DSC0450912.jpg

A normal one:

multicolor09.jpg

And a totally different angel, the nahackyi angel:

fig06.jpg

of course the dream is to own the nahackyi angel which the multicolor closely resemble. except that nahackyi has a larger crown and diff colour.

if you get a big crown multicolor and blast it under 400W MH, the white of the body will darken to a dark grey, resembling a little bit like nahackyi angelfish. that's what the really hardcore angel freaks will want to achieve because nahackyi is unobtainable.

then there's the holy grail of all rare dwarf angel....the abei angel. only waikiki aquarium has it on display.

Is it because of geographical locations? Alike resplendent angels? Or because of depth? :X

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

Is it because of geographical locations? Alike resplendent angels? Or because of depth? :X

location.

Nahackyi is found in Johnston atoll.

Johnston atoll is a unicorporated territory of the USA and nothing can be collected there.

multicolor is more deepwater than nahackyi. this may come as a surprise to you but multicolor is actually one of the deeper dwelling dwarf angels, but can be found in as shallow as 20m to as deep as 115m!!

115m is about 377 feet!!

nahackyi angel is not so deep around 25-75m.

but it's unobtainable because of it's location and too bad they are only only found in Johnston's atoll.

it was reported ONCE that a nahackyi was found in nearby hawaii because the eggs drifted there and settle. only one reported case though. since hawaii and johnston is so near.

There're two other dwarf that one can only dream of obtaining even w a lot of money, the narcosis angelfish and the nigriocellus angelfish.

narcosis:

338_GaSenXq9DS.jpg

nigriocellus:

335_ptznHccqPy.jpg

location.

Nahackyi is found in Johnston atoll.

Johnston atoll is a unicorporated territory of the USA and nothing can be collected there.

multicolor is more deepwater than nahackyi. this may come as a surprise to you but multicolor is actually one of the deeper dwelling dwarf angels, but can be found in as shallow as 20m to as deep as 115m!!

115m is about 377 feet!!

nahackyi angel is not so deep around 25-75m.

but it's unobtainable because of it's location and too bad they are only only found in Johnston's atoll.

it was reported ONCE that a nahackyi was found in nearby hawaii because the eggs drifted there and settle. only one reported case though. since hawaii and johnston is so near.

wow, unincorporated atoll! kns. that sucks deeper than an military based island :( o wells, let's just hope the eggs float to hawaii again so we get a chance to admire such fish! :)

and 377ft for a multi is insane! I am surprised though that they survive so well in captivity given that such depths usually cause decompression problems :X

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

There're two other dwarf that one can only dream of obtaining even w a lot of money, the narcosis angelfish and the nigriocellus angelfish.

narcosis:

338_GaSenXq9DS.jpg

nigriocellus:

335_ptznHccqPy.jpg

eh! i was just going to post these two!!

very interesting fishes these 2.

the narcosis angel is the deepest dwelling species of dwarf angel found in excess of 120m, even up to 128M. it's found only in Roratonga (Cook islands), but have receive un-confirmed reports that it is found elsewhere.

funny story. Richard pyle collected this fish in Roratonga but because it was so deep, he suffered the bends (Decompression sickness). When he got back up, he did not realise, or should i say, forgotten, that he caught this fish! and he named it centropyge narcosis, the narc angel, after the nitrogen narcosis that he had suffered.

the second fish, Centropyge nigriocella, is an extremely cryptic fish found in very very shallow water of only 4-15m! it's found in the marianas and johnston atoll. however it's so extremely shy that divers will NEVER see it unless they use poison to flush it out of the reefs. it's the definition of shy and is i think, the shyest dwarf angel of the entire genus. even more so than the golden angel.

• Senior Reefer

wow, unincorporated atoll! kns. that sucks deeper than an military based island :( o wells, let's just hope the eggs float to hawaii again so we get a chance to admire such fish! :)

and 377ft for a multi is insane! I am surprised though that they survive so well in captivity given that such depths usually cause decompression problems :X

of coz our multis are not collected at 377 feet lah!

that's very deep.

eh! i was just going to post these two!!

very interesting fishes these 2.

the narcosis angel is the deepest dwelling species of dwarf angel found in excess of 120m, even up to 128M. it's found only in Roratonga (Cook islands), but have receive un-confirmed reports that it is found elsewhere.

funny story. Richard pyle collected this fish in Roratonga but because it was so deep, he suffered the bends (Decompression sickness). When he got back up, he did not realise, or should i say, forgotten, that he caught this fish! and he named it centropyge narcosis, the narc angel, after the nitrogen narcosis that he had suffered.

the second fish, Centropyge nigriocella, is an extremely cryptic fish found in very very shallow water of only 4-15m! it's found in the marianas and johnston atoll. however it's so extremely shy that divers will NEVER see it unless they use poison to flush it out of the reefs. it's the definition of shy and is i think, the shyest dwarf angel of the entire genus. even more so than the golden angel.

Narcosis is so deep and so rare, deeper den peppermint!

Nigriocella is a v interesting angel. It's so shallow and has a wide range but is so rare that it is not seen much. No captivity record. But it's an ugly angelfish unlike narcosis.

that's very deep.

Ya our multi all shallow captured. No point diving to 300 feet to catch the same thing which can be found quite abundant jux at 100 feet deep.

that's very deep.

hahaha yeah true. Sorry for my moment of dumbness. lol :P

Anyway johnston atoll, is "omg, hard to break in". It's such a far out atoll. I think to see such angels especially the Nahackyi, I think we have to hope someone in the US army can dive and collect them for us man! So sad! :(

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

Narcosis is so deep and so rare, deeper den peppermint!

Nigriocella is a v interesting angel. It's so shallow and has a wide range but is so rare that it is not seen much. No captivity record. But it's an ugly angelfish unlike narcosis.

Narcosis is very beautiful. from the few pictures that are circulating around the net, the yellow is very outstanding is just beautiful.

they could have a wider range but no one really knows since they are found in such depths. minimum level for spotting them is 100m, anything less you won't get to see and you must go deeper to find the main population.

nigriocella is very ugly but very interesting. if it pops up or narcosis pops up, it will cause a big halabaloo and the whole reefing scene will be turned upside down!

same as Cirrhilabrus claire. the world's rarest fairy wrasse. also found in very deep water in Roratonga Cook islands, and it's even rarer than narcosis angel. Claire has never been collected and only 2 dead holotype photos of a male and female exist.