What is a good tang to recommend to control algae

Eniram

Hey reefers

Any suggestion or past experiences to recommend a "maintainance" tang that will graze on microalgae growing on the aquarium glass and décor?

Hey reefers

Any suggestion or past experiences to recommend a "maintainance" tang that will graze on microalgae growing on the aquarium glass and décor?

Hi, here is some info extract from "Practical Fishkeeping Issue 12 Dec 2008"... But personally, heard from many reefers and friend "Kole tang" is the best for glass algae and hair algae on rock... Also can consider "Chevron Tang" as well..

Cheers

post-9248-12732960396041_thumb.jpg

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• Senior Reefer

the reason why kole and chevron are so popular is because they are known as the bristletooth tangs, from the genus ctenochaetus.

these are the most efficient algae eaters of all tangs. and include kole, chevron and tomini tangs, amongst others in this genus.

• SRC Member

Based on personal experience i think what Lemon say is true... I once had a Tomini tank, it's really good in eating algae... but don't look nice..

You can even see his "kissing" marks clearly on the back panel with all the algae

• Senior Reefer

Based on personal experience i think what Lemon say is true... I once had a Tomini tank, it's really good in eating algae... but don't look nice..

You can even see his "kissing" marks clearly on the back panel with all the algae

yup. it is 100% true that ctenochaetus are the best at the job. it's not about experience or anything because it's plain fact. their bristletooth are specially made for grazing algae.

yup ketchup i know what you mean about the kiss marks hahaha!

wow your yellow tang eats macro algae! its a keeper! My purple tang doesn't even bother looking for algae. Just wait for food!

• SRC Member

i think purple and YT, if you feed them food like seaweed and other food, once they start eating those, they become LAZY and don't eat much algae.

Technically and occasionally, i still see my YT and BT eat algae, but not much.

i think purple and YT, if you feed them food like seaweed and other food, once they start eating those, they become LAZY and don't eat much algae.

Technically and occasionally, i still see my YT and BT eat algae, but not much.

try red bamboo.. sure they love...

you can get from farm for 1 to 3 purple notes per rock... I feed my tang with this occasionally..

Cheers

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

We tried red bamboo but they also hardly eat:P

The BT and YT is used to the seaweed and stuffs like Henrys or pellets already :P

Oh. icic.. I am consider lucky.. My tangs is the most greedy one.. eat everything I gave.. For red bamboo they nip almost every few round they swim... :) I am fans on Henrys formula as well.. In fact, seaweed is type of algae too.. Let them try difference food.. you will find them enjoy more.. Cheers :)

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Oh. icic.. I am consider lucky.. My tangs is the most greedy one.. eat everything I gave.. For red bamboo they nip almost every few round they swim... :) I am fans on Henrys formula as well.. In fact, seaweed is type of algae too.. Let them try difference food.. you will find them enjoy more.. Cheers :)

If your tangs like seaweed.. Probably, try this one "RAW Seaweed" if happen to shop Jusco JB.. I feed my tangs with this as well... I found very cost effective and net.. come in sheet form will not loose out and contaminate our tank.. with less than 1 purple notes..

Cheers..

post-9248-12734119777563_thumb.jpg

post-9248-12734119899077_thumb.jpg

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore