How to get rid of nudi?

tench1

Help help!!!

My tank is infested with nudis...

And I had personally caught one on top of my pink zoas frag, after removing, the frag that was 'touched' by the nudi, didn't open up since lunch time.

Are there any ways/methods ti remove them?

Save my tank....

Ten

• Senior Reefer

remove all zoas and dip in coral rx. you can get coral rx from reefdepot.

temporarily, freshwater dip your zoas for a few seconds or a few minutes. shake it to ensure the dead nudis drop out.

the dangerous thing now is the nudibranch eggs. eggs won't die while freshwater dipping or coral rx. so you have to dip your zoas periodically to ensure all hatch and die.

i suggest throwing away heavily infected zoas if the zoas are common and easily obtainable, like eagle eyes, radioactive etc.

• Senior Reefer

if infestation is too severe, i wont suggest using biological control. biological control like wrasses are more for preventive measures. plus, they dont always work.

get ur nudi population down first.

remove all zoas and dip in coral rx. you can get coral rx from reefdepot.

temporarily, freshwater dip your zoas for a few seconds or a few minutes. shake it to ensure the dead nudis drop out.

the dangerous thing now is the nudibranch eggs. eggs won't die while freshwater dipping or coral rx. so you have to dip your zoas periodically to ensure all hatch and die.

i suggest throwing away heavily infected zoas if the zoas are common and easily obtainable, like eagle eyes, radioactive etc.

no offence but that is very irresponsible advice. As reefers, it is a commitment we owe to all the live stock purchased to do our best to ensure its survival.

only after medication, treatments have been administered should 'dumping' be even considered.

just as in fishes, mayb quarantine in a smaller tank with heavy medication for the infected pieces be used as a last resort.

nothing personal lemon but responsible reefkeeping should always be preached here. cheers

• Senior Reefer

no offence but that is very irresponsible advice. As reefers, it is a commitment we owe to all the live stock purchased to do our best to ensure its survival.

only after medication, treatments have been administered should 'dumping' be even considered.

just as in fishes, mayb quarantine in a smaller tank with heavy medication for the infected pieces be used as a last resort.

nothing personal lemon but responsible reefkeeping should always be preached here. cheers

ah.

well said.. my bad.

however, i don't have the luxury of having a spare tank to treat my zoas. if my zoas are seriously heavily infested with very little to no chance of survival, i would not waste effort saving it and risk getting my other healthier zoas, with chances of survival, to get infected as well.

At times like this i would sacrifice one colony for the sake of everything else. we can't be responsible all the time...

just like when a fish has an uncurable disease. Some people euthanise it to prevent furthur suffering. same goes to humans and animals in real life too.

well this is just my opinion...

Thanks Guys! For all the advices...

Its kinda complicated to remove all corals and Coral RX them...

This will be a major project!

Tentively, i will manually remove any spotted Nudibranches where i can reach.

Alternatively, searching for Yellow coris Wrasse to remove these pest...

I have to search for their eggs 1st before doing any major exercises...

Here are some of the pictures of the nudibranches i removed.

Hope that this will help fellow reefers as well to ID these pest.

View from their top.

30185_384872589598_673354598_4048489_7392379_n.jpg

Another view from their bottom side...

31185_387686359598_673354598_4108792_4927894_n.jpg

Guys,i dont think Lemon bro meant anything bad.

Just that with consideration on many other corals, perhaps, thats the easiest way of solving the problem. Instead of having the whole "boat" sink, remove the cargos etc...

Lets focus on solving the pest issue instead.

Recommandation from Mark Martin;

An effective treatment can be to use a product such as Salifert Flatworm Exit. This product is quite safe to both fishes and invertebrates and can be used in a reef tank. To use Flatworm Exit, turn off your UV sterilizer and ozone, and remove activated carbon from the system (keep your protein skimmer turned on). Add one drop of Flatworm Exit for every gallon of system water it in a high flow area of the tank (a cap full is good for 90 gallons). Flatworm Exit will NOT kill zoanthid-eating nudibranch eggs, so you should repeat the treatment again in one week to kill all of the newly hatched adults.

- Anyone tried this method before?

- Please comment :)

Cheers!

Ten

• SRC Member

Thanks Guys! For all the advices...

Its kinda complicated to remove all corals and Coral RX them...

This will be a major project!

Tentively, i will manually remove any spotted Nudibranches where i can reach.

Alternatively, searching for Yellow coris Wrasse to remove these pest...

I have to search for their eggs 1st before doing any major exercises...

Here are some of the pictures of the nudibranches i removed.

Hope that this will help fellow reefers as well to ID these pest.

View from their top.

Another view from their bottom side...

oh dear.. these nudis are bad.. get rid of them ASAP!! one thing to note is that these pesky fellow will take after the colouration of the zoas they are on (or have eaten) so it may be a little difficult to spot them...

I highly recommend you to take out all your zoas to FW dip them or use coral RX..

one reefer once told me "if you can see them on your tank wall, your tank is infested.. for every 1 that you see there's 10 more hidden, not considering the eggs!!"

Do you stay near the east? i can pass you some coralRX first..

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Ray, :ThanxSmiley: for your offer!

They had been moving ard in my tank for weeks...

And conditions arent as bad.

I will get a bottle of coral Rx and settle them by this week.

Does introducing hermit helps?

• SRC Member

O oh.... I caught one on the wall last night and one this morning. Apart from CoralRX dip, what else should I do? How often would I need to dip them to ensure all is gone?

best to dip them every 3-5 days? so that even if there are eggs and they hatch, they will still be NUKED!

• SRC Member

Ray, ThanxSmiley.gif for your offer!

They had been moving ard in my tank for weeks...

And conditions arent as bad.

I will get a bottle of coral Rx and settle them by this week.

Does introducing hermit helps?

sure no worries! Good luck...

dun think hermit helps...

Hello Tench1

My tank was badly infested with nudis 2 - 3 months back.

When you can see them on your tank wall, that means the situation is quite bad already.

Most of your zoas should be half opened now..

Would suggest as what the folks here mentioned. take out the zoas and dipped them in coral RX.

Else you would risk losing some of your zoas colonies. I did.

I agree it is rather troublesome to remove your zoas and dip them but it is better to get it done at this stage.

Take the opportunity to dip all the rest of your corals too.

When all is done, then add in the yellow wrasse and hopefully he can help clear the nudis population then.

Oh yah, pls remember to dip all your new additions regardless whether it is from LFS or fellow reefers.

I dipped all my corals once, then throw in a yellow wrasse and about 3 - 4 weeks later, dipped those zoas which does not seem to be opening well again. Now everything seemed ok.

for your reference, I did record this encounter in my tank thread - somewhere around page 170 +/- 10 pages.

Good luck bro.

rgds

Jacky

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Hello Tench1

My tank was badly infested with nudis 2 - 3 months back.

When you can see them on your tank wall, that means the situation is quite bad already.

Most of your zoas should be half opened now..

Would suggest as what the folks here mentioned. take out the zoas and dipped them in coral RX.

Else you would risk losing some of your zoas colonies. I did.

I agree it is rather troublesome to remove your zoas and dip them but it is better to get it done at this stage.

Take the opportunity to dip all the rest of your corals too.

When all is done, then add in the yellow wrasse and hopefully he can help clear the nudis population then.

Oh yah, pls remember to dip all your new additions regardless whether it is from LFS or fellow reefers.

I dipped all my corals once, then throw in a yellow wrasse and about 3 - 4 weeks later, dipped those zoas which does not seem to be opening well again. Now everything seemed ok.

for your reference, I did record this encounter in my tank thread - somewhere around page 170 +/- 10 pages.

Good luck bro.

rgds

Jacky

Thanks Jacky, will be doing that over this weekend.

I believe that's part of the process of reefing.

hahaha

Enjoying the process of re-scaping as well.

In my opinion, i do not have to remove the Anemones for dipping.

Do you agree?

Ten

Thanks Jacky, will be doing that over this weekend.

I believe that's part of the process of reefing.

hahaha

Enjoying the process of re-scaping as well.

In my opinion, i do not have to remove the Anemones for dipping.

Do you agree?

Ten

Rescape!!! Everyone knows thats my favourite reefing activity w00t.gif

just saw you have some nice zoas collection. Take good care of them :)and make sure you prepare sufficient saltwater. Always better to overstock them as standby.

yes, I would skip anemonies too.

I have dipped blastos, mushrooms, supersuns, gonio, starpolyps, before.. these are all ok.

when you dip them, try to have a small pump circulating the water inside or use your hand manually to shake them in the dip. The worms, nudis tends to come out easier... a lot of other bugs too.... be prepared for the ugly. I eventually ended by using chopstick to pick the corals up :P

try also to look out for bristle or bobbit worms. these are harder to kill in dip and they might come out and crawl back into the crevices. get ready a pincer / shopstick if you wanna get rid of them. be careful not to break them into two.

Same thing after you dip them, take the corals and rinse in fresh saltwater. shake them a bit more vigorously so that any dead organism will fall off.

For the coral RX dip, concentration is about 30 drops in 4 litres of saltwater. (best to use your existing tank water too). dip for 10 mins.

• Like 1

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

Jacky, :ThanxSmiley:

I will do my best and let u all know the outlook next week.

PS: How about chaeto? Do i have to dip as well? Just wondering how to remove the pest within the thick bunch of grass.

Ten

• SRC Member

How about the sump? hahaha Do i have to coral Rx them as well?

SUMP???? bro.. you are suppose to take the corals out and dip them in a SEPERATE pail of tank water plus coralRX.. DUN add RX straight to the tank!! chair.gif

Lol.. sorry for some caps.. just scared you add the RX straight to ur tank..

wahaha.... nvr thought of that....

I think chaeto and sump stuff, you can let them be ba.

else you will kill all the good pods too.

btw, you take the LS and dip into a separate pail of coralRX dip hor.

Not add Coral RX into main tank or sump. I think you know this but just wanted to be sure ..... hehehe....

Also add coralRx into a pail of saltwater, not freshwater like what someone did...... DING! idea31.gif

• SRC Member

Also add coralRx into saltwater, not freshwater like what someone did...... DING! idea31.gif

"Oh shit look, got brittle stars, many brittle stars... You think they are still alive? Can I save them?" Poor brittle stars, you-know-who will know what I'm talking about hahaha.

Actually I think a quick dip with freshwater and coral rx will not do any harm too, I used to dip zoas with freshwater+flatworm exit+iodine, didn't cause any death to the zoas.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey