"Best Sand Cleaners", anyboby know?

edwinwu79

Hi, gals n guy. i would like to know, which are the best sand cleaners which you all know. Presently, i have sand dollars to clean my sand. Hope you all could tell me more.

Sea cucumbers. If you want to have one which does not climb your tank walls, go for tiger-tail sea cucumbers.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

I'll give a vote to sea cucumber too. I bought mine since day 1 I've never seen it stop cleaning my sand once...

Basically it's like a live ehiem pump working 24/7 365 days a year non stop.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

i saw 1 of the reefers here having 1 equipment that cleans the sand effectively. and it wont pollute your water at all.. though u have to do it manually..

i have one debelius reef lobster in my 2 ft tank can i still add sea cucumber? and i always see sea cucumber in long and huge sizes.. wonder if anyone saw smaller sizes one which is compatible for my 2ft tank?

• SRC Supporter

i saw 1 of the reefers here having 1 equipment that cleans the sand effectively. and it wont pollute your water at all.. though u have to do it manually..

i have one debelius reef lobster in my 2 ft tank can i still add sea cucumber? and i always see sea cucumber in long and huge sizes.. wonder if anyone saw smaller sizes one which is compatible for my 2ft tank?

Try CF if you are looking for tigertail sea cukes. Remember seeing them in various sizes.

• Senior Reefer

word of caution. make sure your sea cucumber doesn't get sucked into any wavemaker, pumps etc. they will eviscerate themselves and spew out their guts and will poison your tank, crashing it.

Hi, gals n guy. i would like to know, which are the best sand cleaners which you all know. Presently, i have sand dollars to clean my sand. Hope you all could tell me more.

Ya... Sea cucumbers.. very good :)

But if you found size huge or dun like the outlooks then you can try a few Nassarius Snail....

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+1763&pcatid=1763

They like to submerge in sand when normal event.. only appear when feeding time.....

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Ya... Sea cucumbers.. very good :)

But if you found size huge or dun like the outlooks then you can try a few Nassarius Snail....

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+1763&pcatid=1763

They like to submerge in sand when normal event.. only appear when feeding time.....

Cheers and Happy Reefing...

Ya.. you can find this @ CoralFarm as well.... :thumbsup:

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

If you are looking for LS to help stir the sand and loosen it, prevent algae growth on them, then both nassarius snail and sand dollars are good choice.

But I am not sure how much they clean it though. If you want clean sand, then the best is still to depend on your siphoning tool.

My thoughts based on personal experience ( just some food for thoughts, I can be completely wrong.).

I have seen nassarius snails snatching food from my rics before. They move fast, zoom onto uneaten food on the sandbed in good speed.

very good scavengers ? yes. but do note that they poo a lot too.....

spending most of their time in the sandbed => their waste are trapped in the under layer of the sandbed....

meaning you are probably dirtying your sandbed at a faster rate with these creatures if you keep too many of these.

Try containing them in a beta box for a day or two and see for yourself amount of poos collected in the plastic box.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

Anyone has any idea how much CUC is sufficient to keep the glass / sandbed / LRs clean without starving them? Like 1 snail per litre type of estimate? Sometimes, they may be able to do a job, but not enough of them around to keep the tank clean to our liking...?

Anyone has any idea how much CUC is sufficient to keep the glass / sandbed / LRs clean without starving them? Like 1 snail per litre type of estimate? Sometimes, they may be able to do a job, but not enough of them around to keep the tank clean to our liking...?

You will know by their behavior. If they climb your rocks and tank walls it means that they do not have enough food. If you overstock sea cucumbers you will notice them climbing very soon as they do not have enough food to go around in the sand. If not, they stay put on the sand.

• Senior Reefer

try to stay away from keeping too many sand dollars, sand urchins and sand sifting starfish at once. these eat detritus and microfauna in the sand and will starve if there is not enough food for all of them

• SRC Member

You will know by their behavior. If they climb your rocks and tank walls it means that they do not have enough food. If you overstock sea cucumbers you will notice them climbing very soon as they do not have enough food to go around in the sand. If not, they stay put on the sand.

Ok... but that's mainly for sea cucumbers, right? I meant overall clean up crew. Its a little frustrating to see snail trails on the tank glass = "I'm doing my job, but I'm only going to eat where I WANT to eat". <_<

Ok... but that's mainly for sea cucumbers, right? I meant overall clean up crew. Its a little frustrating to see snail trails on the tank glass = "I'm doing my job, but I'm only going to eat where I WANT to eat". <_<

Yes. That only applies to sea cucumbers as their food is found mainly in the substrate. You can't control where snails go, their favourite food grows on glass. :upsidedown:

• SRC Member

Bro u wan a orange dash goby size bout 1.5-2"

i've one with me pass u for free

i'll be at BBQ u come i give u

I went orsony's house n saw his super hardworking orange dash sand goby.

Went buy 1 then bring home. Despite consuming n discharge the sand thru it's gill,it gup the sand in it's mouth n threw out from it's mouth also.

Really literally shifting sand. Worse still. Freaking naughty. Shift sand under rock n put else where result in rocks fall.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

so that's y u need big rocks and put it inside the sand bed

do remember to add a flat base rock so it'll only play around and deem it as home

Ok noted... Basket. Naughty fellow. Heard Henry from west coast said this fish fried Liao very nice wan lol..

• SRC Member

Ya... He told me he tried lol.

For me I'm definitely joking haha. ..