Water cycle.

• SRC Member

my tank is still in the cycle... and i found green hairy algae on one of the rocks... will it spread? do i have to do anything to it?

Hi,

I guess your tank still have no live stocks, right? In that case, you may consider disable the lights till cycle complete. If room too bright, cover with newspaper or something.

Bacterias do not need lights to colonize.

These will not help your tank cycle faster, but at least prevent algae booms.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

i did not turn on the light during the cycle. will it go away after the cycle?

It could be consumed.... by hermit crabs etc.

But you could prevent it from spreading by isolating lights into you tank.

They might die off if you shade it long enough, which is pretty long....

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

if it is really an eyesore, after cycling, you can also take out the rock, use a toothbrush and brush it in a pail of saltwater to remove them.....

(maybe during the 1st WC as you will be changing 30 - 50% of the water).

anyway during the 1st 2 months, there will be a lot of algae boom..... (new tank syndrome).

get prepared to use your tooth brush pretty often :)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

if it is really an eyesore, after cycling, you can also take out the rock, use a toothbrush and brush it in a pail of saltwater to remove them.....

anyway during the 1st 2 months, there will be a lot of algae boom..... (new tank syndrome).

I am lazy type, I will leave them alone hoping coraline alage will grow over them... lol

Regards,

Billy Cheong

yes i got manual with the recommended temp/sanilty etc. ...but as Jacky suggested just ignore the temperature... or else how to i bring down the water (water change) temperature to 24 deg c? Unless i have another chiller....

To be exact.. it does effect... but negligible in our tank temperature (Depends how accurate u want :) ).... in general, ~0.0015 delta from 25°C to 30°C.. I suggest keep SG close to nominal ~1.022-1.023 for Hydrometer.. to handle SG fluctuation due to evaporation and measurement error from Hydrometer... If possible verify your hydrometer with reflectometer or pinpoint... u will found another ~0.001 SG offset...

Cheers and Happy Reefing....

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

I should only bush off after the WC? Can i brush off before the WC ends?

I should only bush off after the WC? Can i brush off before the WC ends?

you can brush it off anytime you like :)

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

Everytime i read the SG from the tank water, the hydrometer shows a different reading. Could someone advise?

Tks.

it should be pretty stable. else your hyrdometer could be faulty.

• SRC Member

i have been cycling the tank for almost 2 weeks, i am getting moderate readings from my ammonia and nitrite and nitrate. My ammonia/nitrate reading did not shoot up. Is this normal?

In btw, i dropped market prawn, dose bacteria, and did not do a water change. I only top up with DI water.

Could someone advise?

• SRC Member

you are in your second week now.. ammonia should start to decrease...

what i mean is that once ammonia and nitrate hit zero measure your nitrate to see when your cycle have completed..

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Everytime i read the SG from the tank water, the hydrometer shows a different reading. Could someone advise?

Tks.

If it is a floating hydrometer, the pumps and wavemakers should be off before reading can be taken. For a swing arm hydrometer, ensure no

bubbles are sticking to the swing arm, if there are any bubbles, it will give a false reading. Usually a plastic tapper is provided together,

use it to tap the swing arm to remove the bubbles before taking a reading.

• SRC Member

Help...

If i put in filter media now e.g. pura complete which is a 2 in 1 (carbon + phosguard)..i read from the manual, this media will also help to remove ammonia... will this disturb my water cycle???

• SRC Member

My ammonia is 0.25 ppm

nitrite is 0.1 ppm

nitrate is 40 ppm

1. should i do 50% water change now?

2. When i salt mix with DI water, do i need to leave it overnight?

3. Should i wait till my ammonia and nitrite become 0ppm then i can conclude my water is completed?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

would suggest not running the skimmer during cycling period.

we throw market prawns in the tank to kick off cycling... when you switch on the skimmer, you are removing part of the waste and hence slowing down and reducing the bacterial growth and count.

Hi Bro,

Is there any numbers of market prawn to throw in for cycling?

• 5 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Just wondering after cycle period do we need to change the filter media ?All to new or partial?

If you are talking about sponge filters, yes. Don't change your bio filter media. You should also perform a water change (20-50%) after cycle.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)