Water cycle.

If you are talking about sponge filters, yes. Don't change your bio filter media. You should also perform a water change (20-50%) after cycle.

ya, thanks I am using cannister filter, and one more question, I am using the minus ammonia sponge , does it effect the cycling?

I have follow every step recommend by forum, right now my reading is still N02 & n03 still read zero, from day 1.

I have put LR yesterday and 1 market prawn, this morning it still read zero

any ideas?

• SRC Member

ya, thanks I am using cannister filter, and one more question, I am using the minus ammonia sponge , does it effect the cycling?

I have follow every step recommend by forum, right now my reading is still N02 & n03 still read zero, from day 1.

I have put LR yesterday and 1 market prawn, this morning it still read zero

any ideas?

Yes, the purpose of cycling is to introduce ammonia to induce beneficial bacteria growth. if you filter is sucking up the ammonia, it'll slow down the cycle.

Do not use any chemical filtration during cyling. your ammonia filtering sponge is a type of chemical filter.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

There's no way to 100% get rid of worms. Even if you use dead rocks, worms will still get re-intorduced later. If they are just bristle worms, they are more or less harmless. Worms start dying means your tank is cycling. die-offs are the first signs of tank cycling. Be patient. This hobby requires lots of patience.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

There's no way to 100% get rid of worms. Even if you use dead rocks, worms will still get re-intorduced later. If they are just bristle worms, they are more or less harmless. Worms start dying means your tank is cycling. die-offs are the first signs of tank cycling. Be patient. This hobby requires lots of patience.

wow! great! saw alot of worms dying do I have to remove them?

1) after cycling can i use back the chemical sponge to reduce nitrate?

2) after cycling coral first or fish?

many thanks

• SRC Member

wow! great! saw alot of worms dying do I have to remove them?

1) after cycling can i use back the chemical sponge to reduce nitrate?

2) after cycling coral first or fish?

many thanks

If u can remove u remove lo. For me I normally leave it... :)

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Hi,

Day 3

worms and mini crab and shrimp from LR start to die

N03 & N04 read abt 20ppm

Day 4

more worm crawl out from LR

start to die

N03 N04 start to drop to zero

Day 5

nitrate read 0

water become more cloudy

is there something wrong as I thought the nitrate to hit very high for at least a few days before it drop

Please advise

Hi,

Day 3

worms and mini crab and shrimp from LR start to die

N03 & N04 read abt 20ppm

Day 4

more worm crawl out from LR

start to die

N03 N04 start to drop to zero

Day 5

nitrate read 0

water become more cloudy

is there something wrong as I thought the nitrate to hit very high for at least a few days before it drop

Please advise

Something is not right... Can you check for Ammonia (NH4) and Nitrite (NO2) again to confirm becos it is not possible that the cycling only take 5 days? Did you add anything in the process?

Edited by Terryz_

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Something is not right... Can you check for Ammonia (NH4) and Nitrite (NO2) again to confirm becos it is not possible that the cycling only take 5 days? Did you add anything in the process?

Ya, I added market prawn about 2nd day when the sand is settle, I am using cannister filter with Bio Home plus, coral chips, and carbon. Mine is a 2ft tank FYI.

I am using API strip tester with 5-in -one test stripe, test for KH, GH, n03, no4 and PH, these are left over from my freshwater tank so dun waste lo

Ya, I added market prawn about 2nd day when the sand is settle, I am using cannister filter with Bio Home plus, coral chips, and carbon. Mine is a 2ft tank FYI.

I am using API strip tester with 5-in -one test stripe, test for KH, GH, n03, no4 and PH, these are left over from my freshwater tank so dun waste lo

I am not sure how accurate is the test strip but the test kit for API is quite reliable, you might wanna change to that...

NO4???? I presume you are talking about Ammonia(NH4)? You dun have the test kit for Nirite(N02)?

For cycling, the bacteria will break down NH4 into N02 den into N03.So it is better to confirm that both NH4 and N02 is zero as they are deadly...

Member of:

• SRC Member

Remove Carbon. Put back AFTER cycling.

You only need to have bio home (and live rocks & sand)

Do away with coral chips - they will become nitrate factories in the long run if not maintained.

Wait for the Ammonia to go down and the nitrite will increase... it will normally take 4 weeks or so...

Thanks, for the information, do I do water change during this 4 weeks?

coral first or fish first after cycling? any difference?

Thanks, for the information, do I do water change during this 4 weeks?

coral first or fish first after cycling? any difference?

After your NH4 and N02 become zero, your N03 will be very high, this is the time to do water change.. So keep a check on your NH4 and N02...

Normally, I think there is no differences but go slow on the stocking of fishes...

Member of:

• SRC Member

Water shouldn't be cloudy...

The longer the day is the water should be clearer...

Something is wrong...

Agreed with the above!

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Water shouldn't be cloudy...

The longer the day is the water should be clearer...

Something is wrong...

Agreed with the above!

It might be a sign of bacteria bloom... Give it a week or 2 before starting to panic, it should clear up by then.

Member of:

It might be a sign of bacteria bloom... Give it a week or 2 before starting to panic, it should clear up by then.

Ya heeding advice to remove coral chips left with BIOhome plus media and sponge in cannister, water start to clear, think maybe is the coral chips, change water in the cannister with distill water.

Water is now more clear, ammonia start to go high now.

Thanks

2nd question, I found a few short grass like hard straw on the LR, try to remove but it is very difficlut, and also some brown mushroom on some of the LR, can I let it decompose during this water cylcing stage? Cos i try to remove the mushroom also it stick to it very stubbornly