Nano tank coming.....

May&Bruce

• SRC Member

Tried getting out of this hobby last year when we got rid of our 5 foot 150 gal reef tank (we thought we were leaving Singapore). But, it is impossible to give up this hobby, so am starting to build a nano tank.

• Spec's are 18" wide x 16" deep x 16" high. Will use crystal glass on 3 sides.
  • Want to use a Bubble Magus skimmer (BM3.5) - anyone know where I can get Bubble Magus skimmers in Singapore?
  • Lighting will be the 60W Maxspect LED light from DE Lightings
  • Chiller - thinking of the IceProbe thermoelectric chiller.

Any comment welcome :thumbsup:

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member

thinking of getting the one by DE?? it has almost similiar specs that you are looking for!:thumbsup:

Yep, similar but for me the fun is designing & making it myself. Mine will have a solid teak cabinet to blend in with our other furniture. Just picked up the cabinet. Will start posting pics in a week or two when I have the tank. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Been out of the reef scene for only a year, after selling off our 150 Gal 5ft tank, so time to get back into it, but with a Nano as I travel a lot (and May needs to be able to take care of it while I am away). Designing it myself. Design is complete now and have bought many components. Will order the tank and sump this week and will post pics once I have the tank. Will be keeping fish and some LPS. Details are:

• Tank: 18" wide x 17" x 16" high. (= 70 litres or 18 gal approx). Low iron/Starfire glass on 3 sides. Odd tank size is to suit the cabinet we have already bought.
  • Sump: 15"w x 11" x 12"h. Custom design to fit skimmer, mech filter, bio filter and return pump.
  • Cabinet: 100 cm high Teak cabinet. (we have lots of teak furniture, so cabinet must blend in).
  • Skimmer: Bubble Magus 3.5 needlewheel skimmer (has internal pump).
  • Return pump: Aquabee UP 2000.
  • Chiller: Will be either a Hailea HC 100 or HC 150 (any comments re which size?). Will use the return pump also for the chiller.
  • Lighting: MaxSpect 60W LED lighting. (I may modify the circuitry so that I can independently switch some of the LEDs to achieve a "twilight zone").

There will be no internal power head, as the return water outlet angle will be adjustable to cause water movement in the tank, and using the Aquabee 2000 will ensure a sufficiently high water flow.

The concept is simplicity and low maintenance, while not skimping on water quality. We are trying to keep the budget (inc. all above equipment, tank, cabinet, etc.) to below S$1,500 (not including sand, rock and livestock).

I am interested in reefers comments about the Hailea chiller. Total water volume will be 91 litres (inc. sump), so HC 100 should be large enough to achieve 26-27 degrees (tank is not in direct sunlight). How about noise? Are these small Hailea's quite quiet?

Photo's coming soon...

Merged with thread in Nano sub-forum. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381