Cabinet Ventilation Fan

Try a KDK Ventilation fan, the blades are made from plastics thus more suitable for marine, also KDK is the preferred brand in fans.

http://www.kdk.com.sg/homeventilation/faq.html

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Try a KDK Ventilation fan, the blades are made from plastics thus more suitable for marine, also KDK is the preferred brand in fans.

http://www.kdk.com.sg/homeventilation/faq.html

Thank. I looked into KDK too. It too big, i might have to cut a really big hole in the rear cabinet to fit it...and it's too exp, $300-400. i am looking something like a PC fan to fix into the cabinet rear.

Thank. I looked into KDK too. It too big, i might have to cut a really big hole in the rear cabinet to fit it...and it's too exp, $300-400. i am looking something like a PC fan to fix into the cabinet rear.

PC fans are good too, but you will need some modifications and wiring into a AC/DC Adaptor. I have used Nidec before, quite reliable.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

PC fans are good too, but you will need some modifications and wiring into a AC/DC Adaptor. I have used Nidec before, quite reliable.

i am not mounting the fan to the cabinet rear but maybe putting on the top or side of the chiller... do you think this would help to disperse the heat ?

• SRC Member

i am not mounting the fan to the cabinet rear but maybe putting on the top or side of the chiller... do you think this would help to disperse the heat ?

definitely, thats what I am doing now too. I am using a AC fan my previous 2 footer was using.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

Just wondering, does your cabinet have any ventilation holes for the fan to blow the heat away? Best is to cut a hole at the back of the cabinet to direct the heat away. Otherwise fan or no fan, the heat still cannot escape away from the cabinet and will spoil your chiller v. quickly.

I don't think Hailea chillers come with warranty, at most 7 or 14 days if I remember correctly. You might want to consider putting the chiller outside the cabinet to ensure it's longetivity.

Can check with Jacky. He is one of a few reefers who house his chiller in the cabinet.

• SRC Member

the cabinet rear has a big opening. My chillers come with 6 months warranty. I just use for 3 days and i found a problem - e.g. sometimes , for some reasons, it dont work if the difference beteen water temperature and set temperature differ by a decimal point. Eg. Set temp is 28 deg and water temp is 28.5 temp... i have to change the set temp to 27 deg maybe.. then it begins to kick off. at this time, i change the set temp to 28deg then ok....

the cabinet rear has a big opening. My chillers come with 6 months warranty. I just use for 3 days and i found a problem - e.g. sometimes , for some reasons, it dont work if the difference beteen water temperature and set temperature differ by a decimal point. Eg. Set temp is 28 deg and water temp is 28.5 temp... i have to change the set temp to 27 deg maybe.. then it begins to kick off. at this time, i change the set temp to 28deg then ok....

Bro it is normal.

if you set at 28 deg Cel, you might have to wait till 28.6 or 29 deg then the chiller kicks in and it will cool to 27.5 or something.

there is a +/- range.

Maybe other user can come in and advise if it is +/- 0.5 deg or +/- 0.1 deg

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

• SRC Member

hi jacky,

i also see that you're using Vortech MP10, one day it's ok, slient, even i tune to the max. day 2, it starts to make some noticable noise if i tune to the max... is this normal?

Tks.

• SRC Member

It just means that you have set the temperature for the chiller to bring down to at 28 degrees, and it will start kicking in at 1.5 degrees above the set temperature. This gives u a temperature variation of btw 28-29.5. The chiller will not kick in at 28.5 or 29.5. a 1.5 degree temperature range is normal.

Edit: the temp range could be 1degree as mentioned by bino. I'm not sure if you can change this setting for hailea chillers.

• SRC Member

There is a low humming sound when you tune it to the max, but if it is inconsistent then maybe you must align the wet/dry portion again. It is prone to slipping slightly, causing the irregular sound.

My 1.5ft nano cube

My 24G nano tank (Decommed)

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.

And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

-- Jack Handey

hi jacky,

i also see that you're using Vortech MP10, one day it's ok, slient, even i tune to the max. day 2, it starts to make some noticable noise if i tune to the max... is this normal?

Tks.

yeah there will be some sort of sound when tune to the max.

just try to align the dry and wet unit and see if you can minimise it a little.

some sound/ noise is normal.

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

• SRC Member

Hi, I find putting the chiller outside the cabinet is better for the chiller

in the long run.

Arctica chiller needs 1 ft space front and back.

Front to suck in cool air and back gives off hot air.

I set my chiller to 27 degrees.

And it kicks off at 27.5 degrees and cool the water down

to 26.9 before cut off.

Noise level is minimal.

Best is to invest in a good chiller that gives you no headache :eyebrow:

(-_-) Happy will do ... (o_o)

• SRC Member

i decide to get a mini fan than a pc fan and hide inside the cabinet.... very pressure now .... $$$... spent a lot liao... and don't how much increase in the electric bill this month.... expensive hobby...

i decide to get a mini fan than a pc fan and hide inside the cabinet.... very pressure now .... $$... spent a lot liao... and don't how much increase in the electric bill this month.... expensive hobby...

yes it is an expensive but also a very satisfying & healthy hobby :)

i decide to get a mini fan than a pc fan and hide inside the cabinet.... very pressure now .... $$$... spent a lot liao... and don't how much increase in the electric bill this month.... expensive hobby...

Be prepared to fork out more $$$$. Its a never ending spending hobby. :cry2: But like Jacky said... very satisfying.

i decide to get a mini fan than a pc fan and hide inside the cabinet.... very pressure now .... $... spent a lot liao... and don't how much increase in the electric bill this month.... expensive hobby...

increase will be just about $40 bro. not much comparing to the livesotck $ you are going to spend in future... haha..... ** advance warning...

• SRC Member

increase will be just about $40 bro. not much comparing to the livesotck $ you are going to spend in future... haha..... ** advance warning...

$40!? I told my wife only $10....dont know how to hide from her...... this is like running an air-con unit 24X7 in a small room....

• SRC Member

I went to sim lim sq yesterday... a good slient pc fan was like $50- $200... i was relunctant to get pay for it... i guess i keep the cabinet opened for the time being.

I saw some DC fan going for less than a red note and AC fan going for between 3-4 at seaview.

No need a fan very powerful, just something to guide the heat out.

Regards,

Billy Cheong

70gal, 250w MH (Reeflux 12000K), Tunze Nano Wavebox 6206, Tunze 6045, Tunze 6025, Teco TW4, Rio HF20, Aquabee 3000L, Rio HF17, SM100 Scrubber box (4x24w T5 2700K)

Fish: Amphiprion ocellaris (Ocellaris Clowns), Nemateleotris magnifica (Firefish), Pterapogon kauderni (Kaudern's Cardinal)

Inverts: Calcinus laevimanus (Hermit Crab), Lysmata amboinensis (Cleaner Shrimp), Sand Dollar

Corals: Capnella (Purple Hairy Finger Leather), Plerogyra sinuosa (Green Bubble Coral), Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch Coral), Dendrophyllia (Supersun Coral), Rhodactis spp. (Hairy Mushroom)

• SRC Member

Bro I have a huge clip on aquarium fan that's collecting dust in my storeroom (literally).

http://freshnmarine.com.sg/estore/product_info.php?products_id=1135

Can give to you if you need.

bro,

Are you going for the reef workshop? maybe i can collect from you at the workshop.... i buy you dinner... haha.... thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Hi Jacky and kksg2000 and anyone who can advise me.,

Saw this thread and found that both of you had chiller in cabinet. Mine too.

Just want to check which fan are you using? AC or DC fan? Size of fan?

Reason is i am planning for 1 too as can't kept my cabinet door open for too long (had a 2yr kid at home)

In addition, what temperature to set for the chiller?

Previous owner set at 26.5deg and it kick in at around 27deg(i think).. Its a Arctica 1/5HP chiller.

Thanks for any help.