Eel keepers.... pls advise

bergkamp28

Hi all....

having a bit problem now with my Zebra Moray eel.....

have been feeding it market prawn... for the first few days.. it ate...(i had to use a pincer to bring the prawn meat to its face)

but abt 5 days ago.... it accidentally bite the pincer and had a shock... and from then on.. refuse to eat....

i have to use a pincer as its always hiding in the rocks.... and food thrown in are always eaten up by the lion fishes and frog fish....

other than market prawn, what else does it eat??? and how to feed it other than using pincers??

any eel keepers here advise???? thanks

:thanks:

• SRC Member

I dun think there are other options bro. Use to keep an agler, everything went well until my lions came. When it comes to food, my lions are too fast at snapping away the feeder fish and the only other way to get the angler to eat is to bring food to him with a pair of pincers.

I eventually sell him away to Volitan heeheee, easy to feed but troublesome to upkeep.

Have fun:)

If it is at it young age try feeding it with brine shrimp. Mine I have kept it with that for the pass 3 year. But best u still need to get it near to the eel to feed as it got poor eye side. I myself have been using a fish net to feed as there are some fast fish in mine tank. The eel will come out from the hiding by itself into the fish net to feed. I think need abit of training. Hahahaha!

i suggest you feed it those live freshwater crayfish. they are not too expensive, abt 2 bucks each, and only need to feed 1-2 times a week... the lions and the angler wont touch them either. in the wild, zebra morays survive mainly on hard-shelled crustaeceans, so this may be a good diet for captive ones.

• SRC Member

been keeping a snowflake for almost a yr liao and initially it refused to eat too ... but been trying for days and it went for the market prawns using a pair of tongs eventually!

but i realised that every time i add a new fish in, it would refuse to eat but will 'recover' after a couple of days

when it starts to swim about i would take it as hungry liao ... been feeding it on alternate days!