Help me ID this slug

• SRC Member

Dear Senior Reefers,

Please help me ID this slug-like creature which I actually noticed a couple of months but it was tiny, (about a cm long) looks like it has grown to about 5cm in length. It must have come from a coral piece purchased from one of the reefers.

Please advise if it is OK to keep it? What does it feed on and if it is beneficial to my tank?

Thanks.

post-839-020468000 1278940042_thumb.jpg

post-839-065445000 1278940049_thumb.jpg

post-839-007688800 1278940062_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

Hi there, thanks for quick reply. Its disappeared from sight now so will remove it as soon as its spotted again. Is this the type of nudibranch which eats the nuisance aiptasia?

nope. the aiptasia eating nudibranch is extremely tiny and white. there's no stock of it now and it's very unlikely you find a wild one.

• Senior Reefer

Just caught it. Noticed it munching on some soft coral .. aahh now realised who the culprit is!! The offender has been removed. Now what do I do with it?

no one would want it. it's a pest.

you can either kill it or discard it or... release it in the sea?

or if you want, you can keep it :) lol. at the expense of your soft corals.

• SRC Member

Just caught it. Noticed it munching on some soft coral .. aahh now realised who the culprit is!! The offender has been removed. Now what do I do with it?

I normally cull dying fish by putting into a tau hua tub with tank water and put into freezer.

I think this is the least painful death in my opinion.