How to save $ on a system to cool ur tank?

nicholasloh

i have successfully cooled my 4 feet tank using only 1 computer fan those u buy at sim lim size of fan is 5 inch across note i have a cabinet plus cover aquarium all lights and fan are installed in the hood....

i have 8 tubes of 55 and 36 watts pl tubes .... lights on without fan 30degree .. lights on temperature with fan is 26.5 degree ...

tried switching on the fan whole night got shocked when i saw the temperature in the morning ... 24 degree... seriously ... !!! no joke ...

needs a pep bottle 1.5 litres of water top up every day ....

Stairway to Heaven

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bwilly, no hotties for yah.

you director of what company.

got lobang for a 13 year boy?

I do freelance for a “infamous” co. called “Vivid”.

Anyway since u r a 13years old, some matters best keep to myself..

** wat abt sister or cousins..?? teachers..?

please remember the geographical location plays a key and important role in the ambient temperature of your surroundings.

fans are good. but the cost of topping up water daily is no joke. not to mention the salt spray you are experiencing now. not nice if you ask me.

fans are for the budget users, yes. but if you intend to go into corals and all, whereby it is way above budget, then I suggest you re-think your stratergy.

unless you happen to be like reefer guy who claims that his tank is damn cold without chiller. how I wish I was his neighbour or I stayed at his place. :P

I do freelance for a “infamous” co. called “Vivid”.

Anyway since u r a 13years old, some matters best keep to myself..

** wat abt sister or cousins..?? teachers..?

right. Vivid. hahahahaha.

stop hitting on the young boy. makes you look like a despo you know. not nice. (=

teacher also want? nowsadays the teacher standard of looks really CMI. the lookers are probably taken or attached. bleah.

*expects bwilly to say attached also can jio with his good looks* :whistle

• SRC Member
please remember the geographical location plays a key and important role in the ambient temperature of your surroundings.

fans are good. but the cost of topping up water daily is no joke. not to mention the salt spray you are experiencing now. not nice if you ask me.

fans are for the budget users, yes. but if you intend to go into corals and all, whereby it is way above budget, then I suggest you re-think your stratergy.

unless you happen to be like reefer guy who claims that his tank is damn cold without chiller. how I wish I was his neighbour or I stayed at his place. :P

seems like u will nvr be convinced.. hehehe... wanna drop by my place and c for urself? :D

my house is at Bishan. its rather cooling down here due to the fact that I'm smack in the middle of a drift valley. yet I still have to use a chiller to chill my tank.

there you have it. I'm sure people appreciate your good offer no doubt about it. (=

but if you want to keep something more challenging...then the equipment you get will also be challenging. to your pockets that is. (=

right. Vivid. hahahahaha.

stop hitting on the young boy. makes you look like a despo you know. not nice. (=

teacher also want? nowsadays the teacher standard of looks really CMI. the lookers are probably taken or attached. bleah.

*expects bwilly to say attached also can jio with his good looks* :whistle

where got hit.. ? I veri nice guy..

• SRC Member

bwilly, nice to the chios bu rite!! ke ke..... :lol::lol:

I also live in senkang, only cool at certain period of the year. not unless your house face the expressway and not onstructed. But you need to open your windows and doors. The main thing is wat light you are using. for fl I would say no problem.

For me, cant stand mopping the floor everyday due to the salt spray and topping water everyday (unless auto topup). Now only top up once a week and dont have to worry bout corals on a hot day. But I also started on a buget, just that now out spend out of buget liaoz! haik haik haik...... :lol::lol:

Or use big big fan and keep top open also can. more then one way to skin a cat! :evil:

• SRC Member
i have successfully cooled my 4 feet tank using only 1 computer fan those u buy at sim lim size of fan is 5 inch across note i have a cabinet plus cover aquarium all lights and fan are installed in the hood....

i have 8 tubes of 55 and 36 watts pl tubes .... lights on without fan 30degree .. lights on temperature with fan is 26.5 degree ...

tried switching on the fan whole night got shocked when i saw the temperature in the morning ... 24 degree... seriously ... !!! no joke ...

needs a pep bottle 1.5 litres of water top up every day ....

Hi there

Are you observing the current temperature readout during this time of the month? As you are pretty aware, the temp for this whole month is very cooling, fyi, for the past few days, my chiller don't even turn on and most of the time it is maintainng around 26.3 to 27.5 when the lights is on. My is a 4x2x2.5 with 4x54W T5 with a single 4inch AC fan runnning 24x7.

Wait till you reach the month of May onwards, you will see that you will not be able to maintain that kind of temperature, which is why I get myself a chiller during that time of this year.

IMHO, using fan to cool tank really depends on the ambient temperature, you probably can get your desire results for the next few months using fan, once come May..... you will see alot of poeple hunting for chiller.... :D

• SRC Member
agree to clowntrigger points. lets see in the month of may onwards if sengkang is still cooling or not.. kekek unless u turn on your hall's or room's aircon. haha ..

Let me haha you back. it is better that the fish can enjoy now, and when may comes, there will be a solution to the problem.

Like... DUH!!!

What are brains for if we don't use them , Trevy.

I think that the fan should be an aid to the temp.

Bet you must be wondering how a 13 yr boy can save $1000s and sulking on the fact that you bought an chiller.

If the weather is hot, add ice lah!

Like... DUH DUH DUH DUH!!! :P

seems like u will nvr be convinced.. hehehe... wanna drop by my place and c for urself? :D

yah can go over and borrow your LOTR also. :P

not that I don't believe. I just wanna go there and enjoy the cold wind.

*thinks of that stupid cold wing song in the army*

where the cold wind blows.....

or where my gf bl....nevermind. (=

add ice? duh? okay.

anti-chlorine your water. buy one ice tray specifically for that just to use it. I doubt your fridge has space for another ice rack. and I'm not too sure if your mother will approve of you putting it into the fridge.

next.

ice bottle. temperature fluctuation propblem. how about that? have you ever considered that point? or it decided to skip across your face?

why attain the solution when the problem is apparent? wouldn't it be too late then? an old addage goes....we don't plan to fail. we fail to plan.

good example down here. my two cents.

and PS my 13 year old cousins have huge amounts in their accounts. don't ask me how on earth they did that.

• SRC Member

yah can go over and borrow your LOTR also. :P

not that I don't believe. I just wanna go there and enjoy the cold wind.

*thinks of that stupid cold wing song in the army*

where the cold wind blows.....

or where my gf bl....nevermind. (=

well, as ive told u, u r most welcomed at my place.... anytime, as long as im free and just give me a notice before hand.... and just to ask u, where did u saw me quoting that my "tank is damn cold".... please show me where u got it, and i'd gladly accept my mistake in saying such things in public.... aside from that, u may want to revert what u said, in public as well...

i dont see any reason y u have to sulk or whatever when all i want to do is share a part of my knowledge or experience... as ive told in that previous thread where u got that "damn cold tank", i am not here to please or convince, or even boast, just contributing to what the reefer who started the thread is asking....u may want to read on to what i advise him for that matter....

as i have believed, this forum is meant for sharing and partaking knowledge and experiences, especially advices to fellow reefers for the betterment of the hobby... but seems to me a few numbers of so called reefers post here just to criticize, ridicule and challenge others... i dont see any relevance on such matters...

im not going to step down further to such sarcasm or comments... im better off without such senseless criticisms just to step on other people...

terryansimon, i would be expecting u to come over soon...