bring back fish from overseas

mopiko

• Senior Reefer

check it in, cannot hand carry.

pack in a styrofoam box, less water, more air. then check it in.

if i remember correctly 1 person allowed 30 fish or something.... there's info at AVA website.

• SRC Member

check it in, cannot hand carry.

pack in a styrofoam box, less water, more air. then check it in.

if i remember correctly 1 person allowed 30 fish or something.... there's info at AVA website.

hi bro can just check in the styrofoam box? need to label "live stock"?

• Senior Reefer

hi bro can just check in the styrofoam box? need to label "live stock"?

no need.

i think you can put in styrofoam box, put some cooling packs, or no need if you don't want. put in cardboard box and label "fragile" with a this way up sign.

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

If you are travelling by air, you can only hand carry up-to 100ml of liquid per traveler so you'll most likely need to check in the package. Depending on the airline and aircraft, the cargo bay can be extremely cold in cruising altitudes. It's best to keep the livestock in a temperature-insulated environment. I'd recommend an air & water-tight thermos flask. Since the flask is airtight, the pressure inside is more or less constant as well. This will help avoid swim bladder issues.

This is the AVA link. It'll tell you what livestock and what quantity you can bring in and whether permits are required. You'll also need to refer to the CITES appendices.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

bro tis is helpful.

what do you meant by airtight flask? those flask we have are pretty small. you meant packed the fish into plastic bag and put it into thermo flask den check in inside luggage?

if we chek in luggage, it definitely be very cold in the luggage compartment. will putting in styrofoam box work? saw LFS shipment and they usually packed the fishes into styyrofoam box.

• SRC Member

Vacuum flasks can have sizes around 1-2 liters. Anyway you can only have a maximum of 3 liters. You can do away with the bag since the flasks are airtight. Yes, you can put them inside you luggage. Just test to ensure that the flasks are properly closed and are not leaking.

Live stock exporters don't use passenger aircraft. Cargo aircrafts have bay sections that are temperature-controlled and pressurized that are specifically designed for transporting live animals.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Vacuum flasks can have sizes around 1-2 liters. Anyway you can only have a maximum of 3 liters. You can do away with the bag since the flasks are airtight. Yes, you can put them inside you luggage. Just test to ensure that the flasks are properly closed and are not leaking.

Live stock exporters don't use passenger aircraft. Cargo aircrafts have bay sections that are temperature-controlled and pressurized that are specifically designed for transporting live animals.

bro can just pack inside air flask no need oxygen? scary.... water spill luggage gone...

• SRC Member

Where did you get that info from Iskay? All modern jet passenger aircraft do carry cargo in the plane.

• SRC Member

bro can just pack inside air flask no need oxygen? scary.... water spill luggage gone...

Yes, so not for long haul. I tried it before. Worked.

• SRC Member

Where did you get that info from Iskay? All modern jet passenger aircraft do carry cargo in the plane.

Yes, Passenger jets carries people, equipment, food, baggage, and cargo. Livestock can be classified as either baggage or cargo. You can try to declare your livestock upfront with your airliner so that they will be stored in the climate-controlled section of the cargo bay. But note that each airliner have their own rules on what they will carry on board.

Pardon if I was not specific enough. My comments so far were for the scenario that the package is stored inside the traveler's luggage, where the luggage are usually stored in the un-heated and non-pressurized section of the cargo bay (as airliners don't expect to have livestock in the luggage). When pets are checked in as such, they are usually store on climate-controlled section of the cargo bay.

• SRC Member

Let me enlighten as much as I know about the cargo hold of an aircraft. It is pressurized and yes, only certain part have 'heaters'. From what I know, livestock are carried on board passenger aircraft due to the fact that passenger aircraft have a higher frequency ie daily or alternate day of travel to the same destination. Cargo aircraft or Freighter aircraft do not have the same frequency of travel as their passenger aircraft counterpart does. For your info, dogs, cats, mice and some other warm blooded mammals are placed in the cargo hold of the passenger aircraft.

So in this case, live fish and coral do travel on passenger aircraft because of the frequency. Cargo aircraft or Freighter as they are usually called, carry other type of live animal. Freighter aircraft can carry live fish but is not usually recommended unless the volume is more than that of the passenger aircraft but I've never seen this before. There's another reason but I think due to issues, I would not divulge it here.

Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

• SRC Member

Bro, I have a advice to all who intend carry live fish ( in styro foam or air-filled plastic bag ) ~ they are to be in checked-luggage ONLY. However, please be informed that AVA and Changi Airport is fine ( meaning OK ) with Rules and Regulation ie.less than 30 fish ( but need to check the water quantity restriction ). Please also need to check with the Airport ( of country ) where you intend to bring in these live fish. It also very much depend on the custom officer who is "inspecting" your live fish. Sometime, depending on the custom officer, he / she may allow the live fish inside your check-in luggage BUT there are custom officer who will want you to "pay" to bring the live fish inside your check-in luggage. I experienced both occasion(s). The fish I managed to bring in still swimming in my tank at home. The fish I did not manage to bring in ~ i gave it to the custom officer.

• SRC Member

hi, usually the plastic bag is 2-layered and to play it safe place this 2-layered plastic bag in another plastic bag and tied it ( same as the 2-layered plastic bag, tied properly ). it would be better if you have space in check-in luggage for a styro-foam box and sealed with tape ( 100%no leak). then this styro-foam box to be in check-in luggage as per AVA. Entry into Changi Airport is no problem BUT have to see the Airport ( of Country ) where you intend to check-in the live fish inside your baggage. i managed to bring in Majestic and Spotfin lionfish ( on one of the attempt ). My last attempt to bring in Blue Ring and Regal failed ( these fish was so nice, the custom officer wanted the fish ) and demanded so much, that i have no choice BUT to give the fish to them ( one fish each ).

• SRC Member

thanks for all the replies. does this means i can packed the fish into air bag, sealed up in stryofoam box, place inside big luggage and check in?

Yes you can. Just make sure you test for leaks and leave some slack in the bag to avoid bursting the bag. Did you ever notice that the bag of potato chips on board aircraft seemed almost bursting but can look deflated on land? It's because even though the passenger cabin is pressurized, the pressure is however lesser than at zero altitude. So if you don't leave enough slack in the bag or the bag is not strong enough, it may just burst if the lesser outer pressure is overcome by the pressure inside the bag.

This is also why i chose the flask. Again, the flask is my recommendation only. You can use any container as long as it does leak. Good Luck.

• SRC Member

thanks for all the replies. does this means i can packed the fish into air bag, sealed up in stryofoam box, place inside big luggage and check in?

Yes you can. Just make sure you test for leaks and leave some slack in the bag to avoid bursting the bag. Did you ever notice that the bag of potato chips on board aircraft seemed almost bursting but can look deflated on land? It's because even though the passenger cabin is pressurized, the pressure is however lesser than at zero altitude. So if you don't leave enough slack in the bag or the bag is not strong enough, it may just burst if the lesser outer pressure is overcome by the pressure inside the bag.

This is also why i chose the flask. Again, the flask is my recommendation only. You can use any container as long as it does leak. Good Luck.

• SRC Member

hi, usually the plastic bag is 2-layered and to play it safe place this 2-layered plastic bag in another plastic bag and tied it ( same as the 2-layered plastic bag, tied properly ). it would be better if you have space in check-in luggage for a styro-foam box and sealed with tape ( 100%no leak). then this styro-foam box to be in check-in luggage as per AVA. Entry into Changi Airport is no problem BUT have to see the Airport ( of Country ) where you intend to check-in the live fish inside your baggage. i managed to bring in Majestic and Spotfin lionfish ( on one of the attempt ). My last attempt to bring in Blue Ring and Regal failed ( these fish was so nice, the custom officer wanted the fish ) and demanded so much, that i have no choice BUT to give the fish to them ( one fish each ).

Your attempt on the lionfish is praise-worthy. The spines didn't pop the bags!

Brought in a helfrichi before but it died a few days later.... Sad...

• SRC Member

the shop put the spotfin lionfish in a double-layered plastic bag, and i further place this double-layered plastic bag inside another plastic bag. The lionfish was only 3" then. Now it has grown to 4". Somehow bringing the live fish back home from abroad is a challenge. I also brought back a majestic. Iskay, may I ask what fish you have brought back home ( i am curious )

• SRC Member

no need.

i think you can put in styrofoam box, put some cooling packs, or no need if you don't want. put in cardboard box and label "fragile" with a this way up sign.

Hi there...

Just my comments, even if you place a "Fragile" sticker, i won't think that the ground staff will take care.......

I did saw them throw the package to the next person prior on slam in onto the baggage trailer/troller.....And this is from SQ....

I would strongly recommend you place a big big sign stating LIVE ANIMAL like what others LFS bring in their stocks.....

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

Hi there...

Just my comments, even if you place a "Fragile" sticker, i won't think that the ground staff will take care.......

I did saw them throw the package to the next person prior on slam in onto the baggage trailer/troller.....And this is from SQ....

I would strongly recommend you place a big big sign stating LIVE ANIMAL like what others LFS bring in their stocks.....

LIVE ANIMAL Sticker should not be sticked... It is a dead give away to the AVA Official at the custom that you are bring in fishes in... They are more annoying than you think..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

I am very curious as here we are talking about bringing live fish from abroad. It would be good if we share our adventure. As I had a bitter experience where the custom officer saw the live fish and demanded a high fee such that I got no choice but to give him the live fish.

• SRC Member

LIVE ANIMAL Sticker should not be sticked... It is a dead give away to the AVA Official at the custom that you are bring in fishes in... They are more annoying than you think..

True.....

i agree with that.....

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump