Coralvue Bulbs

Joe_P

• SRC Supporter

HI Guys,

Read that there's a some bulbs available branded as Coralvue bulbs...

pretty interested in their 10kk bulbs which according to RC, burns much whiter compared to the BLVs 250s...

As a bulb change for my lightings is on the way, seriously thinking of these bulbs as a alternative....

anyone???

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...hlight=coralvue

Notice that the CV 250W burns whiter compared to the 250W BLV from the pics......

• SRC Member

I have never used it before, but it seems to me that if it is such a great bulb, more people would be using it (which is not the case).

The PAR put out by the Coralvues are about 10-30% lower compared to AB/BLVs, depening on the ballast used.

In case you haven't looked at the coralvue site, they have a spectrum analysis of all their bulbs. I had looked at them previously and it seems that the bulb has greater intensity in the blues than in the yellows, so i suppose that is why it appears whiter.

Ultimately nothing beats actual experience, and they are being offered at a reasonable price at this other *ahem* forum, so it doesnt hurt to try it out.

• SRC Supporter
I have never used it before, but it seems to me that if it is such a great bulb, more people would be using it (which is not the case).

The PAR put out by the Coralvues are about 10-30% lower compared to AB/BLVs, depening on the ballast used.

In case you haven't looked at the coralvue site, they have a spectrum analysis of all their bulbs. I had looked at them previously and it seems that the bulb has greater intensity in the blues than in the yellows, so i suppose that is why it appears whiter.

Ultimately nothing beats actual experience, and they are being offered at a reasonable price at this other *ahem* forum, so it doesnt hurt to try it out.

There's a thread done By a reefer in RC on the various 250W bulbs...

think I placed the link in previous posting...

Its seems that the results are pretty interesting when the CV bulbs are linked to their Eballast....

better results in the PAR.....

Well... the pricing does seems attractive though.... ;)

• SRC Supporter
Their ballast are going to cost close to US$150 with shipping, and that is even assuming they have a 220V version.

Knowing you, you are probably going to switch to some other bulb later on, and their ballast really do not perform that well with AB / Ushios.

You are on bluelines, right?

Nope, currently with BLVs on magnetic ballast...

Has been good so far exccept for the yellowish tinge asscoiate with the 10kk BLV bulbs....

been trying to get rid of that yellowish look but could only do it with actinic supplementation.....

now... it seems like the CV bulb could be the answer ... without additional cost for supplementation.....

Guess I'm still trying to find a bulb that fits my liking...

have tried out Bluelines, Ushio Blues, Sakis and BLVs....

BLVs so far been giving me pretty good results.... ;)

• SRC Member

why dont you wait a while. Max and I are trying to get some Giesemanns Megachromes. I'll let you know how good/bad it is.

Supposedly, it offers the answer to what you are looking for. White bulb with actinic supplementation in 1 bulb, and with excellent PAR. LOL, sounds like the holy grail of bulbs.

Here is the link to RC describing this bulb.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=259420

• SRC Supporter
why dont you wait a while. Max and I are trying to get some Giesemanns Megachromes. I'll let you know how good/bad it is.

Supposedly, it offers the answer to what you are looking for. White bulb with actinic supplementation in 1 bulb, and with excellent PAR. LOL, sounds like the holy grail of bulbs.

Here is the link to RC describing this bulb.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=259420

Yes, I'm interested in that bulb except its not available in mogrul base.... :pinch:

Never like DE versions as my setup is DIYed..... and dun wanna go thru the hassle in getting tempered glass.....

Next factor would be of course the pricing..... :rolleyes: