trace elements + water change

pandagold

If I change my water ( mixed salt +_ RO/DI water ) 2-3 times a week with a small bucket , do I still need to add more trace elements, since salt mix already contains trace elements.

Of course all CA, MG , KH will still be dosed .

Hi Bro,

IMO, it's not about tank size. :upsidedown:

Since you are using salt mix, then it's obvious that it's the quality of the salt that counts.

Good salt mix will stress on the availability of trace elements... Tropic marine pro-reef is just one of the example.

If you intend to use other salt mix but not too sure about the availability of trace elements, you might have to manually provide trace elements such as glotech or brightwell.

Hope it helps.

Cheers :cheers:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

I'm currently using Crystal Sea Marine mix, which also claims to be calcium enriched .

packing mentioned contains :

Chloride,

Magnesium

sodium

Sulfur

Potassium

Calcium

Bicarbonat

Bromide

Strontium

manganese

iodide

molybdate

vandium

selenium

boron ...etc

whenever I change water, I can see my musy opening bigger the following day. Some of my Zeo, which had closed for ages is not gradually opening up ?

So I'm wondering if it's due to this new salt I'm using or my dosing trace elements ??

Oh not to mentioned my SPS is also growing and lots of buds extension .

Hi Bro,

IMO, it's not about tank size. :upsidedown:

Since you are using salt mix, then it's obvious that it's the quality of the salt that counts.

Good salt mix will stress on the availability of trace elements... Tropic marine pro-reef is just one of the example.

If you intend to use other salt mix but not too sure about the availability of trace elements, you might have to manually provide trace elements such as glotech or brightwell.

Hope it helps.

Cheers :cheers:

I mean my Zeo is gradually opening bigger ... sorry my hands and brains did not work together in my last posting

I'm currently using Crystal Sea Marine mix, which also claims to be calcium enriched .

packing mentioned contains :

Chloride,

Magnesium

sodium

Sulfur

Potassium

Calcium

Bicarbonat

Bromide

Strontium

manganese

iodide

molybdate

vandium

selenium

boron ...etc

whenever I change water, I can see my musy opening bigger the following day. Some of my Zeo, which had closed for ages is not gradually opening up ?

So I'm wondering if it's due to this new salt I'm using or my dosing trace elements ??

Oh not to mentioned my SPS is also growing and lots of buds extension .

I have also started using Crystal Sea and have done some testing on it. The KH generally is around 8 dKh. Calcium is on the low side of 350ppm and Mag is on the 1000 level which is also a little low.

So i buff it up by adding some calclium and magnesium additives. So far so good.

Its very difficult to measure the other trace elements, so the only thing you could do is by visual observation on your tank animals. From your sharing, the condition looks alright. If your sps can do well, then most probably the water is fine.

Zoas not opening up is usually cause by other factors, most commonly due to irritants such as snails or nudibranch. You neeed to clean them up, or risk loosing them completely.

Glad to hear that your SPS doing well :)

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• SRC Member

Tank size do make a difference. If you have say a 6ft and the water change using a small bucket might not be enough to replace the element that has been consumed. But a tank half that size, say a 3ft, might be enough with water change BUT depending on the amount of live stock such as corals. Such tank owner need to take a look of his/her coral condition before making any changes. Sometimes certain coral are 'happy' after a water change so the tank owner really need to monitor his live stock condition. No 2 tanks are the same so what work for one person might not work for another person even if the tank size is similar.