What is this red thing on the rock???

Hi... could any bros here please advise me what is the red thing on the rock? Is it coralline algae or ????

Pls advise. Thanks

IMG_0055.jpg

is it the one in circle below?

post-9248-040744400 1282354639_thumb.jpg

pics not clear.. is it slimy? it looks like cyanobacteria or red slime algae.. how about your sandbed, did u spot the same thing?

Cheers...

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have this red slime algae on my rocks as well as sand also ....but sand one is more brownish, i think it is spreading..lots of tiny bubble on the sandbed and rocks...

Bought red slime remover and dose according to the recommended amount, with the skimmer on as recommended in the instruction...

As of yesterday, 24 hrs has passed but not much improvement except the tiny bubbles are gone...

Thinking whether to redose again in 48hrs time as i read online that some ppl's livestock was wiped off after the dosage...

Anyone has the experience to share? what else can i do to remove the red slime algae? already running algae scrubber in my sump..

• SRC Member

Do a search on zeozym in the forum. Many of us have had good experiences using this to control red slime.

First things first, do a check on your PO4 and NO3 levels. High nutrient levels are usually the main contributers of red slime. Reduce bioload if it's high, reduce feeding, or use chemical means to reduce them. I have heard of reefers getting red slime where water circulation is poor, so try to reduce dead spots.

• Senior Reefer

do note that you may get false negative readings when testing for PO4 and NO3 when there is red slime.

the red slime will consume PO4 and NO3 and devoid your water of them so when you test, everything will appear 0. but in fact, the PO4 and NO3 is there.

E red slime slime on e rocks seems like gone but brown color stuff(diatom) on sand bed still there ..juz get a urchin and sand dollar.hope it will help..my no3 is slightly high at 20ppm.po4 is undetectable ..

I think your case could probably tank cycling stage?.. Routine WC, cleaning crew and low bio-load may helps.... also check your lighting? :)

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

erm..my tank is about 1 yr old already...using T5 light, 39w x 4 tubes....

but recently i remove all the coral chips in my sump, did it slowly within the span of 3 weeks...could it be reason that my whole system is interrupted and become unstable..??

currently running algae scrubber in my sump, will continue to dose bacteria weekly ...

erm..my tank is about 1 yr old already...using T5 light, 39w x 4 tubes....

but recently i remove all the coral chips in my sump, did it slowly within the span of 3 weeks...could it be reason that my whole system is interrupted and become unstable..??

currently running algae scrubber in my sump, will continue to dose bacteria weekly ...

Not quite sure... it is possible... any LR in your sump? perform frequent WC probably help..... Cheers...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Try using a small tube/rubber hose to siphon them when time to change water.

Some may be easily remove.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Try using a small tube/rubber hose to siphon them when time to change water.

Some may be easily remove.

Just wondering whether will the siphoning of sand cause the shoot up in nitrate? Had tried to siphon the red slime and it cause the nitrate to shoot up...

wondering whether is it because the suction was not power enough which cause some of the sand flow back to the tank?

• SRC Member

what i did previously is to spihon the redslime and "affected" sand up (only the top layer).. wash the sand with the salt water during my water change to get rid of the red slime. after which i will put the sand back...

be careful not to over disturb the sandbed too much.. it will cause nitrate to shoot up..

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...