weileong's 4ft tank

weileong

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tangs may be ok but you will definitely kill your clams, some soft corals, some inverts etc. I made this newbie mistake a long time ago courtesy of a LFS who assured me everything will be alright. <_<

yeah...

i think the best medication is to let the fishes fight off ich themselves while you emphasize on improving water quality rather than stressing over what medication to use.

medication, i personally feel, no matter how effective, will have some side effects, seen or unseen, so i dun use those anti-ich medication.

often we should seek to remove the stress factor, be it aggression from other fishes, water quality or other factors....

dun just place your hopes on medication, and often those medication are either not effective in a reef tank or will cause collateral damage in a reef tank

I read somwhere that the ich parasite is on the same level as the corals so whatever that is effective against the parasite will cause the same effect on the corals as well :P

Off we go to the disease treatment forum :P

Wow this thread really rojak already, from tank setup to chiller, to fish, to ich, to medication etc :P

• SRC Member
maybe you want to try malachite green. I've used it and seems to be effective on ich. But be warned that this is not safe for clams, clams are very easy to be removed right?

The malachite green is also removed and rendered ineffective when there is light so you can only dose when the lights are off. PS needs to be off too.

My SPS and LPS are not affected by the medication.

wha bro Weileong , you use Malachite Green in your tank ah? You very brave one ah?..... :P

• SRC Member

yea... seriously man... hoq u manage to capture it? mine is always moving... cannot take proper picture... Or maybe because my camera is not those SLR.... the shutter speed damn slow... you stay infront if tank to ambush blue tang? haha

Live and Let Live

day 5:

Seems to be doing even better today. The torn fin has almost healed.

Started to eat nori but only small bite size. I think this is very good sign.

One white spots noted on the body, no more no the fins. But that white spot looks more like a scratch by the LR rather than ich.

I noted that the yellow tang now got chased away by it! Salifin tang don't even go near it now. On the rd to be king of the tang :D

As usual very difficult to take a good shot as it is a fast swimming and doesn't stay on a spot long enough for my coolpix 5700 to focus in macro mode.

post-34-1083674201.jpg

Pecking non-stop on the LR.

Now I noticed the true beauty of the AT, besides the striking color and orange teardrop. The more impressive part is color of the pelvic fin. Running on the edge of the dorsal and ###### fins are some blue shinny color which comes and goes as the angle to the light changes. Too bad it is difficult to capture on film. Maybe need a video.

post-34-1083674311.jpg

yeah..the AT so cute..i nearly could not see it in the picture...must go and look for the orange dot.. :D

yeah...ich is always there waiting for a comeback....just means that level of infection not very critical when u dun see spots on your fishes...but it's there, i dun have a microscope, but trust me...it's there..

dun let up your guard :)