Need help to choose wave maker

Hi all

Currently I am in process of convert my tank to sps (not full but majority) now I am using MP40w. But i think it will not enough for sps I thinking to add another wave maker. But cannot decide which to choose between

1. 2nd MP40

Or

2. Wavebox

My tank size is 5 feet. I know vortech can create standing wave but kind of difficult to tuning. I not sure if I have 2 will able to create wave like wave box. But I do like flow from vortech as with just 1 unit can create flow at bottom of tank nicely.

So I need help from your guru here for suggestion for which one to choose for any pro and con for both.

Thank you

Tank Spec :

Display tank : 48" x 24" x 18."'(H)

Sump tank : 25" x 23" x 18"(H)

Return pump : Reef Octopus 8000

Wave Maker : Vortech MP10Wes

Lighting : DIY LED (Cree led) 60 bulb

Chiller : helia 55hs

Skimmer : BM Curve 7

Controller : Reef Angel

Hi all

Currently I am in process of convert my tank to sps (not full but majority) now I am using MP40w. But i think it will not enough for sps I thinking to add another wave maker. But cannot decide which to choose between

1. 2nd MP40

Or

2. Wavebox

My tank size is 5 feet. I know vortech can create standing wave but kind of difficult to tuning. I not sure if I have 2 will able to create wave like wave box. But I do like flow from vortech as with just 1 unit can create flow at bottom of tank nicely.

So I need help from your guru here for suggestion for which one to choose for any pro and con for both.

Thank you

With two vortech, I think you can sync or anti-sync them, can play around more with the flow i feel.. Wavebox for me is too big and an eye sore...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Thanks all for advice

so far is

3 point for vortech

0 point for wavebox

For suggestion for MP60 spec look very good but $ seem to be very high. and if in anti-async might not balance when try to create wave.

Any more suggestion?

Tank Spec :

• SRC Member

Thanks all for advice

so far is

3 point for vortech

0 point for wavebox

For suggestion for MP60 spec look very good but $ seem to be very high. and if in anti-async might not balance when try to create wave.

Any more suggestion?

My opinion:

If you want waves, go for tunze wavebox. It is a lot quieter. The Vortech on short pulse is super duper noisy.

If you want something that you can have everything in one and love to play with different modes, go for Vortech. Again, be ready to deal with the noise.

If you want just alternating current , go for 6055 with multicontroller. You can have muti directional flow control. Unlike like vortech that has flow in one direction only. And it is , agian i would like to stress, wayyyyyy quieter.

tunze wavebox and tunze 6055 on multicontroller is really the best combo if you ahve a large tank like a 5 footer. For a smaller tank, the wavebox is taking up prime estate and may be unsightly and thus people may choose the vortech.

End of the day, both products are good depending on your needs. However, one very obvious thing will be the level of noise, unless you are prepared to run your vortechs at 60% power or lesser.

2 cents worth.

Thanks all for advice

so far is

3 point for vortech

0 point for wavebox

Any more suggestion?

I suggest anti-sync if you place the 2 MP at the opposite side(eg 1 at the right and the other at the left) or sync them if both at the same side.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

vortech is much smaller in size

wavebox take up too much space in the tank

make the tank looks weird with its long box

design

Right agreed with you, wavebox is indeed bulky and eye sore but there something that hidden. I had tried MP40 and ended with me change to wavebox.

They not as hash as MP40. I had placed at the same position at one time the MP40 and make my pectinia (lps) slough away then I had this wavebox replaced it never had any effect and yet it fluffy and appear healthy. One more thing I found wavebox give me easier tuning of good wave especially using the 7096 controller, JMHE.

In my opinion your tanks 5ft and if you have idea to hide them it wonderful, if not MP40 is as good provided keep any coral away from its path. I think somehow you need 2 of them

as mentioned by Terry, as I think the same one vortex good for 4ft and below.

Happy reefing bro.

Mix reef-Main tank 3x2.5x2.5ftA

TI 3ft 8tube

Hitachi compressor unit 1HP

1 x AP- 702 Deltec

1 x Coral Lab CR with Ph controller; 1X AquaMedic Kalk Reactor top off

Baby fish dosing kh/Sr&Kcl/mg

DI water thru kalkwasser

1 x Skimz Fr with BRS gfo

2 x Rio 32hF main pump

1 x Pinpt Orp monitor

1 X Pinpt Ph monitor

Aquamedic wave maker

Sump 3x1.5ft plumbed together with;

1.5ft cube live rock

Frag tank 5x1x1ft

Hmm..

It's seem both of them it's have their own pro and con

Con

Wavebox is on bigger in size and MP40 on the noise.

(Both Con I can take it as I have space at the back to hide wavebox and As my tank at open balcany so noise not an issues for me)

Pro

Wavebox is generate nice wave pattern.

MP 40 I can sync with my current one to easy control both pump.

How about need of SPS does it need or like wave pattern that make poly swing left and right.

Or it more on random flow.

What if we use wavebox to gen the wave and MP40 to gen flow for food transport and wash.

What do you think about this idea?

Tank Spec :

• SRC Member

I'll vote for vortech...

Wavebox indeed take in too much space n also make the whole tank look weird in a way...

Mai tu liao... Go for it... Vortech!

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Thanks all suggestion

To day just burn big hole in my pocket and get 2nd vortech to pair with my old one. Now I have a lot of flow, but need tune-up to see what is best one.

Tank Spec :

• SRC Member

Thanks all suggestion

To day just burn big hole in my pocket and get 2nd vortech to pair with my old one. Now I have a lot of flow, but need tune-up to see what is best one.

alot is always better than not enough...

Happy reefing...

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• 2 months later...

hi. any update with your vortech flow in the tank?

Flow from it is good and very wide. Yes it cannot aim to specific direction but I find it does not matter. Now I may look into upgrade my old controller to ES version so I can use new mode when pair it.

Tank Spec :