Need help!!How to prepared salt water ?

tahir69

• SRC Member

get salt like marine envirometn but it's rather ex... i've downgraded to red sea and it's easy to dissolve and cheap! hehe the package would have the instructions... usually i add with "feel" can always adjust later if it's too high change abit water too low add more salt :upsidedown:

I use coralife. its reasonable priced n pretty good..

get it from petmar* at serangoon.. one pack of 6kg will

do.. add water into your 3ft.. mix inside.. measure

salinity.. not enuff add more salt.. dun be scare to add

in the beginning.. at least half bag in.. then stir..

• SRC Member

You can get tropic marine, but it is quite expensive. I am using it as I like the fact that it dissolves quickly. The cheaper ones include red sea and coral life. I never used red sea before, but coral life i have used before. Around $60-70 for one big bucket and a free t-shirt. Downside for coral life is that it takes a while for the salt to dissolve.

• SRC Member
Y trouble yourself ? out there r lots of shop selling fresh sea water . and its better than u mix with salt yourself . if i not wrong 1 drum 25ltrs 4 only $3 and the drum deposite is $10 but is refundale upn returning .

This option is viable only if you have your own transport. Otherwise better stick to salt mix. Also its easier..no need to carry. Think of carrying 6 X 25 litres of water.

• SRC Member
Y trouble yourself ? out there r lots of shop selling fresh sea water . and its better than u mix with salt yourself . if i not wrong 1 drum 25ltrs 4 only $3 and the drum deposite is $10 but is refundale upn returning .

ya i thought so, but many saying tt NSW is not so good..btw where is the place?

NSW is susceptible to having pollutants and contaminants inside. you have no idea where they harvest the water *if you can harvest water in the first place* from. sekali its near some sewage output pipe. or something as gross as that. eeyer. then again, it may be clean NSW so you really wouldn't know. but many people tend to do their own SW mix as its easier. no need to lug heavy bags of water around. (=

I heard Reborn provides SW services. pay $100 for unlimited amounts. they will come and top up for you or something...dunno. Benz...would you like to clarify on this matter? :P

You can get tropic marine, but it is quite expensive. I am using it as I like the fact that it dissolves quickly. The cheaper ones include red sea and coral life. I never used red sea before, but coral life i have used before. Around $60-70 for one big bucket and a free t-shirt. Downside for coral life is that it takes a while for the salt to dissolve.

coralife take me less than 5mins to dissolve.

did u try to bubble n stir abit..?

using seawater, I have my reservation. got to

see the places u get it from.. who knows

what content is inside..?

• SRC Member

ya, i guess i will try to DIY myself, so to gain respect from my frenz also..will try to do it, tks bro...for all the advise...btw there's no specific amt of how much salt to mix rite..i just need to measure the salinity only rite..pls advise?

ya, i guess i will try to DIY myself, so to gain respect from my frenz also..will try to do it, tks bro...for all the advise...btw there's no specific amt of how much salt to mix rite..i just need to measure the salinity only rite..pls advise?

when u buy the salt the pakage will state how many gallons of water it will treat ...

3 feet tank is around 50 gallons more if u have a sump tank ..

if im not wrong a 2x 4kg pack will be enuff for a 3 feet tank

y not buy an 8 or 10 kg pack and u will have some salt remain which u will need coz u need some water change after cycling is over ...

i would recomend instant ocean brand at $16 per 4kg pack and $30 for a 8 or 10 kg pack .... cheapest ive seen so far ...

most important get a specific gravity of 1.022 - 1.026

Stairway to Heaven

I don't know the differences and chemicals between these brands of salt, but using red sea at $12 per 4 kg. Use around 1.014 to cycle the tank with LR w/o LS, replaced half the water after cured and slowly adjust back to 1.021 before adding LS, cos can save some money on salt... :yeah:

• SRC Member

I use Coralife Salt. This is how I mix the salt for a new tank:

I use a large serving spoon to add salt to a standard pail (abt 5 gals).

The first time round, you need to count how many scoops you need to get the right salinity.

Subsequent batches just add the required no of scoops into the pail & dissolve.

After competing filling up your tank, allow to stand for a while before checking the salinity.

Do your final adjustment by adding either more salt or plain water into your tank as required -> this should be a minimal if the above is done properly.

To avoid spillage and lifting, I use a PH to pump the water back into the tank

:eyebrow::eyebrow:

• SRC Member

well I'm using kent salt...

and here I prepare the salt for my new tank.. 4 feet...

with an empty tank....

first I put tap water in and use power head to stir the water... and put chlorine remover also...

then let it age for 1 week or more..

then i start adding salt which required me 2 x bags of 1 1/2 bags of 5kg then with power head it stir and mix the salt...

and i left it to age for 3 weeks to a month...

before i finally add sand and LR in...

then it's about a month to 2 before i start add coral in...

• SRC Member

ok guys, tks..but add in more info coz will star to set up my tanks next wk...and need a good advise fm u guys...i dun think wanna get NSW, some moreso troublesome...but another thing, what do i need to check when DIY SW..pls advise...tks again :blink: