Fossilized giant penguin reveals unusual colors, sheds light on bird e

Paleontologists have unearthed the first extinct penguin with preserved evidence of scales and feathers. The 36-million-year-old fossil from Peru shows the new giant penguin's feathers were reddish brown and gray, distinct from the black tuxedoed look of living penguins. The fossil shows the flipper and feather shapes that make penguins such powerful swimmers evolved early, while the color patterning of living penguins is likely a much more recent innovation.

View the full article

• SRC Member

just curiuos, how they know is 36 million years old?? no one can live that long to prove... still would like to see a pict or 2.. ^__^

carbon dating.. 1/2 life....

• SRC Member

just curiuos, how they know is 36 million years old?? no one can live that long to prove... still would like to see a pict or 2.. ^__^

Coz they r sciencetist...lol

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

• SRC Member

carbon dating.. 1/2 life....

carbon dating hor... has 1 too many variables.. any one of the following changes... it will make the whole reading totally inaccurate.

1. the rate at which carbon-14 decays into nitrogen-14 has not changed throughout the unobservable past

2. the ratio of carbon-12 to carbon-14 was in the environment in which the specimen lived during its lifetime

3. there has not been any contamination in the specimen which we are attempting to date.

the first 2 points need someone to live 36 million years to make sure it don't change.. ^_^ i have yet to find out who.. haha

• SRC Member

carbon dating hor... has 1 too many variables.. any one of the following changes... it will make the whole reading totally inaccurate.

1. the rate at which carbon-14 decays into nitrogen-14 has not changed throughout the unobservable past

2. the ratio of carbon-12 to carbon-14 was in the environment in which the specimen lived during its lifetime

3. there has not been any contamination in the specimen which we are attempting to date.

the first 2 points need someone to live 36 million years to make sure it don't change.. ^_^ i have yet to find out who.. haha

haha... i only remember my secondary school teacher telling us how they do it... cannot remember that much... maybe they got other method of doing it? if you found the person who lived 36millions old tell me also i wanna go take a look... lol..

• SRC Member

haha... i only remember my secondary school teacher telling us how they do it... cannot remember that much... maybe they got other method of doing it? if you found the person who lived 36millions old tell me also i wanna go take a look... lol..

sure will tell u.. gosh.. wonder how he/she will look like when is 36 m yrs old.. O.o

this IS the only method. no other way.