New help for sump.

go to iwarna, got a decom tank, you can take reference from there.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

I'm no expert but how big is your tank?

An overflow box is just a compartment whereby water can be drawn down to the sump. An Overflow box is very different from a canister, a canister is a medium whereby beneficial bacteria and filtration can take place.

Here are some pics of our members sump tank.

• SRC Member

I wanted to build a sump but i still can't understand how to make one, and i really must have a overflow box? Is a internal overflow better than a canister filter? Hope any expert can help.

It's not a must to have a overflow compartment. Some simply cut PVC pipe to the desire length they wan their water level height to be.

I presume your so called over flow box is just a compartment to let water over flow into it?

If that's the case,it can never be better than a cannister filter coz internal overflow is just a overflow system to direct the water to the sump below.

Mostly without any filtration function. Unless u r talking about internal overflow system.

Anyway u can pm me your contact,I can meet u up,explain n even show u how it works.

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

The answer to yr question is yes. If yr tank got no built-in overflow and u intend to use sump, then u need to get an overflow box and do up pipings to connect to yr sump. Otherwise, canister filter is another filtration option. All the best.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Diy ing a overflow box not say impossible. It's not just about silicon applying that's all.

Of coz it must be applied in a way where by can withstand those pressure from the main tank n also must be done neat n nice otherwise will be like tai ko.

Need cut glass,buy silicon,silicon guy,pre drill the hole on the glass etc...

Let me know your overflow box size or water level u intend to set it at.

I can bring u go cut glass etc...

Some1 doesn't 1 2 do anything find an excuse,some1 1 2 do something find a mean!

Angelfishz from your tank dimensions, your glass thickeness is about 5~6mm meant for a freshwater setup? Correct me if i'm wrong.

To custom make a glass overflow box it'll stress your main tank glass further as its supported on the glass! 5-6mm glass thickness will not support an overflow box made of glass! its too heavy! I suggest using arcylic, its lighter.

Sorry bro Ducados no hard feelings but its not so simple as to get glass cut and silicon it up. There will be alot of trial and error to get the measurement correct plus correct flow which will cost more. If angelfishz were to get off hand ready made overflow box it will solve alot of problems.

Here is a link that will give you some idea of what we're talking about.

http://aqua.span.com.sg/?cat=1&paged=2

http://www.iaquatic.com/

There is also the in built skimmer save you on a sump tank. They can be placed inside your tank and its cheaper. Why i say its cheaper....sump tank 33x12x12 est $50 + overflow box est $150 + return pump est $30 = $230 which i think if you get a in built tank skimmer its cheaper.

Look for skimmer, tunze doc skimmer 9002 your tank size is 50 US gallons

http://www.reefdepot.com.sg/

More detail product info below.

http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=SG&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid]=-infoxunter050

So its your call dude. The above price is just an estimate don't quote me that this is the price.

• SRC Member

Knew it gonna be some kind of plastic box hang behind tank.

Just to check with u,when water goes in,how the water flow n filter to the back?

By some suction from pump? Definitely not by natural flow right?

Anyway I tot TS gonna do some partiion type of overflow compartmen in the corner of it's tank n base glass drilled hole for flowing into sump :)

Who is TS? Am totally lost bro. :wacko: Never used an overflow box before but the looks of it, it should be via natural flow. I think the flow concept is like the toilet bowl system push water out and down.

• SRC Member

TS is thread starter.

Overflow box system is definitely diff from toilet bowl system.

It definitely required something to suck the water else how would the water flow to the back.

Water flow from higher level to lower level...

If you look at the the design of an overflow system you'll notice that the front part is higher than the back so via gravity feed the water will flow through the channel pushing the air out and down the back.

• SRC Member

Seen the diagram. Still dun get y the water can flow higher than the tank when the return pump on???

Izzit due to the pressure point directly on the thing???

• SRC Member

Both sides of the overflow box must have been filled with tank water

ok. So wat if it's filled with water?

I notice sump water lower the box water come down.

Izzit due to that cause then it somehow like a suction that suck the water from the box downwards?

Once its filled with water like you mention it will suck the water down, so it will drain from main tank via overflow box then to sump.

So there you now we now know how the overflow box works