Baking Powder vs Baking Soda Powder

mengyang_neo

Hi,

Is baking Powder and baking soda powder the same? from the net there is a different when u are baking cake, but to increase the ALK can I dose baking powder instead of baking soda? :ThanxSmiley:

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

Hi,

Is baking Powder and baking soda powder the same? from the net there is a different when u are baking cake, but to increase the ALK can I dose baking powder instead of baking soda? :ThanxSmiley:

Baking powder and baking soda are different. Baking soda is 100% Sodium Bicarbonate whereas Baking powder contains sodium bicarbonate, an acidifying agent(cream of tartar)and a drying agent(usually starch).

You can use baking Soda to increase ALK but not Baking Powder.

Baking powder and baking soda are different. Baking soda is 100% Sodium Bicarbonate whereas Baking powder contains sodium bicarbonate, an acidifying agent(cream of tartar)and a drying agent(usually starch).

You can use baking Soda to increase ALK but not Baking Powder.

Ok thanks for the reply. I bought the baking powder instead lucky never dose. :P

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

can share how to dose the baking soda??

1) Determine the desired KH (dkh) you want to achieve from your existing KH reading based on your net water volume..

you can use the following link (http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html) to help you calculate the amount of baking soda needed..

2) mix the calcuated amount of baking soda (e.g. 2 tablespoon) with distilled water or RO/DI water..

3) Dose the mixed solution into the sump or high flow area slowly in different time interval to minimise impact

4) Do not dose all at once and monitor the PH while dosing. Do not allow immediate impact of PH to be more than +/- 0.2

:thumbsup:

fts-022012.JPG

can share how to dose the baking soda??

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chem_calc3.html

This reef calculator will be able to tell you how much you need to dose, but you must first test your KH and then decide what KH you want for your tank.

As for increase in PH, baking soda has no effect on PH. I have raised the KH of my tank by 5 dKH immediately and there wasn't any effect on my corals. The only thing to take note is that you have to dose in a high flow area of your tank, otherwise the high KH might cause calcium carbonate to precipitate out of your tank water and this will lead to a decrease in ca.

Arm & Hammer is used by many reefers in USA and has been proven to be safe to use.

• 2 weeks later...