External Canister!

AravinthanRaja

Hey guys! yesterday i cleaned my external canister and whenever i place my hand into the aquarium i feel a slight electric shock kinda feeling!! i know its my canister cause when i off it, there isn't any electric deposit! there are no power trips, the canister works normally and yes i've swapped power sockets but still have the same problem! anyone ever came across this problem? pls help! thanks! =D

manubevcomp2jh5.png

Hey guys! yesterday i cleaned my external canister and whenever i place my hand into the aquarium i feel a slight electric shock kinda feeling!! i know its my canister cause when i off it, there isn't any electric deposit! there are no power trips, the canister works normally and yes i've swapped power sockets but still have the same problem! anyone ever came across this problem? pls help! thanks! =D

Never place ur hand into an aquarium with pumps running unless u r sure the electricals r okay. Jus dip the end of a test-pen into the water to

check if there is voltage. If so, u have a problem. Get the canister checked by a reliable guy or buy a new one.

I'm sure u want to enjoy this hobby s long s u can.

• SRC Member

check all your electrical equipment there's a current leak somewhere. It's a safe practice to have a grounding probe from your tank water to electrical mains. Current leaks are said to cause MHLLE.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

check all your electrical equipment there's a current leak somewhere. It's a safe practice to have a grounding probe from your tank water to electrical mains. Current leaks are said to cause MHLLE.

Marine Head and Lateral Line Erosion! How do you connect the grounding probe to the electrical mains?

manubevcomp2jh5.png

• SRC Member

Marine Head and Lateral Line Erosion! How do you connect the grounding probe to the electrical mains?

Hi bro...

You use one wire....

Expose the copper into the water at one end....

The other end you just tied to any 3 pin plug you have in the earth point....

That will do it....

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

• SRC Member

Hi bro...

You use one wire....

Expose the copper into the water at one end....

The other end you just tied to any 3 pin plug you have in the earth point....

That will do it....

Suggest you check where the leak is coming from (return pump...maybe) rather than solve this by grounding.It may get worse and you never know when accidents happens. Also try using a stainless steel probe if you plan to ground the tank( bicycle spoke) rather than a copper wire as copper rusts and some may get into the system which is bad for corals....

• SRC Member

You should solve the current leak problem first. Grounding probes can be purchased from LFS. Select the stainless ones specifically made for marine tanks.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)