Sudden death

• Senior Reefer

What can killed a fish in minutes? Ammonia spite. New tank syndrome or overloading & over feeding. Aerobic bacteria unable to cope with sudden ammonia spite. Like what fuel suggested solution to prevent such sudden death will be to increase your turnover rate with oversize powerful skimming to cope with your immense fish load.

ammonia spike* you mean.

Yes that what i meant. I once overhauled my 6 ft tank by complete new mixed water change 250 us gallons & dumped in 22 bags zero grade coral sand each 10kg. I temporary transferred all my palm size healthy angels into a 10 gallons pail but of cause with heavy aeration to drive off the CO2 but within minutes they died so fast due to ammonia poisoning. Wiped out almost half of my 15 healthy fishes. Ammonia spike is indeed a fast fish killer.

• SRC Member

Yes that what i meant. I once overhauled my 6 ft tank by complete new mixed water change 250 us gallons & dumped in 22 bags zero grade coral sand each 10kg. I temporary transferred all my palm size healthy angels into a 10 gallons pail but of cause with heavy aeration to drive off the CO2 but within minutes they died so fast due to ammonia poisoning. Wiped out almost half of my 15 healthy fishes. Ammonia spike is indeed a fast fish killer.

Dun tink its ammonia spike. coz only 3 of my fishes die.

• SRC Member

Check your dissolved oxygen levels if possible. If don't have D.O meter increase your tank turnover rate and upsize the skimmer if possible. If your sump is salt spray proof you can add a few airstones in it.

my skimmer is made by bro joe. was told from my buddy tat it can hold up to 5 to 6feet tank...

Bro, I dun think ammonia spike will kill so fast. I guess your case can be PH shock due to transferring to another new water condition. That happened to my YT when I transferred it from my sump to main tank after changing water from the main tank only.

As for bro Cool Guy, I would suggest you monitor the rest of your fishes whether any unusual pattern. Try to check the fishes in the night after the light is off for some time. Then use a torch light to check on their body.

• SRC Member

Bro, I dun think ammonia spike will kill so fast. I guess your case can be PH shock due to transferring to another new water condition. That happened to my YT when I transferred it from my sump to main tank after changing water from the main tank only.

As for bro Cool Guy, I would suggest you monitor the rest of your fishes whether any unusual pattern. Try to check the fishes in the night after the light is off for some time. Then use a torch light to check on their body.

My light only off in the morning. tis how it werk. my light is 4 tube t5 wit 2 blue n 2 white. 3pm to 10pm all tube on. 10pm to 8am 2 blue tube on. 8am to 3pm no light on. reason coz i werk from 5pm to 3am.

as for the rest of my fish now, behave normal. will keep on monitor....

thanx...

Half of my healthy fishes died inside the pail with old aquarium water before i can transferred them back into the main tank. I got provide aeration when i stored 15 fishes temporary into a 10 gallon pail too whilst i was refilling new mixed salt water into my main tank. 15 minutes later when i wanted to net the fishes back into the main tank, i found half of them dead inside the pail due to ammonia spike. Likewise ammonia spike can happened in heavily loaded tank too with heavy feeding when we not being careful.

• SRC Member

Half of my healthy fishes died inside the pail with old aquarium water before i can transferred them back into the main tank. I got provide aeration when i stored 15 fishes temporary into a 10 gallon pail too whilst i was refilling new mixed salt water into my main tank. 15 minutes later when i wanted to net the fishes back into the main tank, i found half of them dead inside the pail due to ammonia spike. Likewise ammonia spike can happened in heavily loaded tank too with heavy feeding when we not being careful.

Thanx bro... i will take note of tat...

i wanna let go some of my fish. but the problem is tat, my wife would not let me sell any of the fish. can become world war... LOL...

guess i will stop adding fish from now...